Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #241

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
They also have Pentax's version of the 35mm Limited, which is $319.
Which Nikon is the equivalent of the 35mm Limited?

05-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #242
twr

Boss'a b&w camera idea is excellent, particularly with regard to the sensor. I might even preorder it. Pentax needs to spice up their lineup beyond pretty color options.
05-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
he means the Tokina 35mm macro
05-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #244
Veteran Member

That lens isn't even listed on Tokina's website. I looked and couldn't find it.. but then again I've had a few beers.

05-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #245

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
How about the DX 40mm f/2.8 Macro for $277.00 at B&H?
05-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
... but then again I've had a few beers.
Lucky you ...
05-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #247
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

Buying Pentax from B&M here has always had the following crap prices.. always!
12-24 f4 = $1399.95
16-50 F2.8 = $1499.95
Pentax Digital Camera Lenses - Ted's Cameras
The deal with brick and morter stores is they usually just show the rrp unless they are advertising trying to clear something- reason is everyone is willing to drop the price and keeps a competitor undercuting by a doller just by checking the website.
So if you want a good price locally just refer to the Pentax shop or B&H website for example and they should come to the party. Alot of the time they will just get a reimbursement from Pentax anyway.

05-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
It SHOULD NOT! The point is, as Pentax is not considered a premium brand, this kind of pricing will not help gaining more share in the market.
Now, if they want to move to a premium name, that's fine. If they can make the people believe they are something close to Leica, they may be able to charge them twice the current prices too. It's their problem how to do that, but a current typical Pentax user (or potential user) will be encouraged to switch to something else. If I am supposed to put all 3rd party lenses on my Pentax body, why not doing the same thing with a Canikon, which I will have more 3rd party options for?
I'm not telling all these about myself; I have more than enough lenses to master for a long while. It's a general case.
1) Maybe Ricoh is not opting for more market share, just niche profitability.

2) Therefore, nn APS-C DSLR's there may be no need to undercut the other guy's prices.

3) Not Leica. As I demonstrated, they are at Canikon prices (more or less...it's not the averaging but the product by product inconsistencies that are hard to understand).

4) As noted above, you will NOT save money switching brand and buying OEM brand new. Want APS-C mirrorles ILC's? Check out the prices of the OMD or the Fuji X-series.
05-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #249
Pentaxian

I've been away from the Net (and electricity, flush toilets and people that speak English in any of its modern forms) a couple of days. Meanwhile, Pentax have sent me an email urging me to buy one of 3 extravagantly multicoloured cams for my mom and chosen to repeat the good old PR nightmare of raising the prices on lenses, several of which unfortunately are easily comparable across brands.

Must be a panic reaction on the positive vibe following the launch of the new all-black Ricoh compact: "Look, we have an issue here. People say they would actually buy this camera! The price is fair. The design makes sense. Somebody do something!"

The do this, after the market testing, they have performed lately?! Maybe the world really want Hasselblad Lunars and such things?
05-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #250
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
1) Maybe Ricoh is not opting for more market share, just niche profitability.

2) Therefore, nn APS-C DSLR's there may be no need to undercut the other guy's prices.

3) Not Leica. As I demonstrated, they are at Canikon prices (more or less...it's not the averaging but the product by product inconsistencies that are hard to understand).

4) As noted above, you will NOT save money switching brand and buying OEM brand new. Want APS-C mirrorles ILC's? Check out the prices of the OMD or the Fuji X-series.
What niche would that be, out of interest? The other players have reeled in many of the obvious ones over the past 2-3 years - size, WR, high-quality primes, no AA filter, etc. So, er ...

Of course if you are on this board, the answer to What niche? is easy: it is the niche of doom
05-04-2013, 04:42 AM - 2 Likes   #251
Inactive Account

Pentax America didn't care about you? You the current Pentax shooter that is.

They know they will never be able to compete against Canon and Nikon in the mass camera market. Nikon has as many current Full Frame model cameras alone as Pentax has cameras period.

So what if their strategy was to position themselves as a high end, exclusive, niche camera company that caters to the young, hip, outdoorsy, educated, moderately affluent and uppwardly mobile NEW customer?

In America, higher cost generally equates to higher quality. Right or wrong, that's a pretty common perception. As well, anything that's "Limited" is seen as having more value than something that isn't.

Is Pentax playing to the only strength they have? Anyone can buy a Nikon or a Canon. But to shoot a Pentax, with LIMITED lenses......to be Different.......to have that aura that comes from the Pentax brand......

It'll never happen if they sell their lenses at bargain basement prices. I think this is the beginning of a new marketing strategy for Pentax America, and they would just as soon get rid of their current user base and replace them with new customers who believe in the perception that shooting an exclusive high end camera like Pentax makes them not only different, but special too.
05-04-2013, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #252
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
As noted above, you will NOT save money switching brand and buying OEM brand new. Want APS-C mirrorles ILC's? Check out the prices of the OMD or the Fuji X-series
As for the "saving money by switching brands"; it just depends. Think of both Canon and Nikon as having nearly limitless systems. Systems based on having nearly every single focal length covered on numerous bases, having truly professional flash options, better close-up options, etc... Pentax got far too limiting even before the price increases. Add to that the durability and longevity of the competition. Add more maybe?? How about the Pentax target audience; which nowadays almost seems like a very mild step beyond point and shoot. Sure there are exceptions, but this is basically how Pentax views most of their sales.

But it could be worse. Imagine having a 4/3's system that does cost as much as the Olympus; a much smaller sensor at a much higher price. To make it even worse, the complete lack of a true lens system for the Olympus. All those people that own Olympus giving new meaning to Olympus has fallen
05-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #253
Forum Member

So does this mean, some people can actually make more money off their used lenses, which might not be more than a few months old

Side note: I'd be happy with a rugged WR K-mount APC-S mirror-less. My eyesight doesn't help with the optical viewfinder.
05-04-2013, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by incidentflux Quote
So does this mean, some people can actually make more money off their used lenses, which might not be more than a few months old .

Whining about expensive Pentax lenses has been around from day one (1995 I think I joined the first Pentax forum). But the truth is that hardly any brand of lenses keep their value as well as Pentax better (and more expensive) lenses. Eg. I bought the A* 135/1.8 for $350 and sold it for $1400. The FA* 200/4 ED IF Macro sold for a bit over $1000 when new accompanied by much whining. Now its sell for up to $3800 on e-bay. The cheap guys opted for Sigma and lost money; the rest of us got the best lenses money could buy a often make a profit as well should we be stupid enough to sell them...
05-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #255
Banned

Then there are also the many, many people out there that bought Pentax glass only to have it suffer SDM failure (not just once, but many times). What's even worse, is that Pentax still does not address the issue for people whom have this lens.