Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #346

I have been using a K10D since it first came out and an old Spotmatic before that. When I finally decided to upgrade I thought "I need to get away from Pentax". I strated researching the current lines and the K5 constantly pulled me back in. But info like this just reassures me it is time to move to a new platform.

05-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mwz26 Quote
I have been using a K10D since it first came out and an old Spotmatic before that. When I finally decided to upgrade I thought "I need to get away from Pentax". I strated researching the current lines and the K5 constantly pulled me back in. But info like this just reassures me it is time to move to a new platform.
What because a couple idiots sings for the apocalypse ?

It ain't the last time, ya'now !
05-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #348

The limited lens selection and steadily increasing prices make Pentax a less desirable format to me. Last night I was in Best Buy messing around with the Canons and a salesman asked if I owned one before. I told him I had a Pentax and he said "Oh, I haven't ever seen one of those in person". Scary.
05-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #349
Pentaxian

You are too easily scared

05-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #350
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in Best Buy
Not a good place to be.
I once asked them for Eneloops (for my K-x),
and they directed me to the Energizers.
05-21-2013, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #351
Veteran Member

The limited lens selection and steadily increasing prices make Pentax a less desirable format to me. Last night I was in Best Buy messing around with the Canons and a salesman asked if I owned one before. I told him I had a Pentax and he said "Oh, I haven't ever seen one of those in person". Scary.
He may well not have seen a Leica or Hassy before in person either............
05-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #352
Pentaxian

Pentax does need to step up its game and have a presents in stores. How else do you get to see or hold one before you buy. The local pro camera shop in my area has no Pentax cameras anymore (except used film ones). You can hold practically any mirrorless, a Leica M9 and of course the other two brands.

I wanted to see how well they improved the focus speed in the new K5II. My old K-7 is a dog at that. Couldn't experience it for myself. But they easily handed me a D800 to try and wow. That's the kind of performance I desire.

05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #353

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Pentax does need to step up its game and have a presents in stores. How else do you get to see or hold one before you buy. The local pro camera shop in my area has no Pentax cameras anymore (except used film ones). You can hold practically any mirrorless, a Leica M9 and of course the other two brands.

I wanted to see how well they improved the focus speed in the new K5II. My old K-7 is a dog at that. Couldn't experience it for myself. But they easily handed me a D800 to try and wow. That's the kind of performance I desire.
In some places Pentax has a good presence. When I was searching for a supplier of Ilford paper, I came across a dealer of photographic equipment (pretty advanced stuff, see Spesialbutikk innen fotoutstyr. - Fotoimport AS). The only cameras they sell are the top Pentax models (plus the odd Holga and Polaroid). This seems close to 100% market share. So far it is a very, very local market (you should not look outside the shop).
Anyhow, Pentax is well known and well regarded among some highly competent photographers.
05-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesfaye Quote
Anyhow, Pentax is well known and well regarded among some highly competent photographers.
So is a Leica, Hasselblad, Nikon, Canon, Mamiya, etc among highly competent photographers. That doesn't help me out. I mean if a niche camera like Fuji's are in the camera stores, why can't Pentax be there too, I wonder. It doesn't matter now anyway. I went with what I could demo for myself. No regrets either.
05-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #355
Banned

I bet he could say same for the MacPro tower.
Or the gourmet meal from a good restaurant.
Or decent pair of Italian made shoes.
05-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I mean if a niche camera like Fuji's are in the camera stores, why can't Pentax be there too, I wonder.
I agree with this. It does matter to me. Especially since i regularly rent gear, and none of my local shops rent Pentax gear. They do carry the Fuji and Olympus stuff, though.
05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #357
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I agree with this. It does matter to me. Especially since i regularly rent gear, and none of my local shops rent Pentax gear. They do carry the Fuji and Olympus stuff, though.
That's because the marketing, and presence in shops, is against Pentax's religion.
05-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That's because the marketing, and presence in shops, is against Pentax's religion.
It's a shame, because, with social media and YouTube, marketing has become cheaper than ever.
05-25-2013, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #359
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
It's a shame, because, with social media and YouTube, marketing has become cheaper than ever.

I also thought that Pentax could open 10 real b&m shops wordwide, in Apple-like style, to show people the Pentax experience.

• They could immediately try medium format camera and lenses
• Setup a studio booth with models once a day
• Full range of DSLRs, inside their environment;
—in one corner a DSLRs in rainforest-like wet environment
— next to it a DSLR half buried in deset-like sand, etc.
• A full range of K-mount optics
• All compacts
• Binoculars
• History of Pentax;
— lots of images with the Beatles, with Beatles music playing
— first SLR, then Pentax through decades
• Then short showcases and presentations "How a (D)SLR is made", or "the art of lens design", or, "wedding photography for mums and dads", "beach photography", etc.
• Weekly workshops on how to get to know your camera in fine detail
• Etc.

Where shops would be located?
I thought Tokyo and Hong Kong obviously, then New Delhi, eastern and western US coast (New York, San Francisco?), one in London, then Paris, one in Moscow. One in Sydney or Melbourne Australia. Etc.

If Leica can do it, Pentax can do it too. They have lots of history to show.
Nothing grandiose; just presence to allow experience. That's all.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-25-2013 at 03:06 PM.
05-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I also thought that Pentax could open 10 real b&m shops wordwide, in Apple-like style, to show people the Pentax experience.

• They could immediately try medium format camera and lenses
• Setup a studio booth with models once a day
• Full range of DSLRs, inside their environment;
—in one corner a DSLRs in rainforest-like wet environment
— next to it a DSLR half buried in deset-like sand, etc.
• A full range of K-mount optics
• All compacts
• Binoculars
• History of Pentax;
— lots of images with the Beatles, with Beatles music playing
— first SLR, then Pentax through decades
• Then short showcases and presentations "How a (D)SLR is made", or "the art of lens design", or, "wedding photography for mums and dads", "beach photography", etc.
• Weekly workshops on how to get to know your camera in fine detail
• Etc.

Where shops would be located?
I thought Tokyo and Hong Kong obviously, then New Delhi, eastern and western US coast (New York, San Francisco?), one in London, then Paris, one in Moscow. One in Sydney or Melbourne Australia. Etc.

If Leica can do it, Pentax can do it too. They have lots of history to show.
Nothing grandiose; just presence to allow experience. That's all.
This has worked for Apple, but not really so well for Sony. Of course the Apple stores are big and carry every product, and the price is the same where ever you go. Sony seemed to try to sell at full retail when you could go down the street and get it cheaper.

But why do you want to put them in cities like New York where there are already retailers selling them?