Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I think they were really confused by me because I am a wedding shooter. There is such a FF push in the wedding industry and this was last year at this time so everyone was all about the D800. I think it is easy to see why an outdoor/wildlife shooter would choose Pentax - weather sealing alone makes it a sound choice. It is just harder to see with weddings (although weather sealing is nice there too!). When I was there the one guy acknowledged that he had spoken with the Pentax rep, but they just didn't have enough demand to carry in stock. Still, tamron for Pentax on their website is a start. I should take the IIs in there... I have to say I find it to be a truly impressive camera!
If neither of you have been to Dodd Camera in downtown Cleveland... well let me just say you'll find plenty to keep you occupied and interested. I haven't been in there in 2013 but last I was there they had every Pentax model from the Q to 645D (plus the obligatory Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Oly, etc.). That's not to mention everything you could possibly outfit a studio with.

05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #407
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I think they were really confused by me because I am a wedding shooter. There is such a FF push in the wedding industry and this was last year at this time so everyone was all about the D800...
Wedding photographers .. God bless them, most of them move the whole photography industry into the oblivion of stereotypes.
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Wedding photographers .. God bless them, most of them move the whole photography industry into the oblivion of stereotypes.
05-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #409
Pentaxian

Pentax used to make great glass at a very good price. Buying time was two+ years ago. What the need are new lens designs and cameras.

05-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If neither of you have been to Dodd Camera in downtown Cleveland... well let me just say you'll find plenty to keep you occupied and interested. I haven't been in there in 2013 but last I was there they had every Pentax model from the Q to 645D (plus the obligatory Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Oly, etc.). That's not to mention everything you could possibly outfit a studio with.
Cleveland is 3+ hours away for me so I haven't had that pleasure. I've been to a Dodd store in Dayton that has lots of Canon and Nikon, some Sony and Oly, but no Pentax. Cord's main store in Columbus is odd, I've been there when the have several Pentax models and when they have none. They never seem to have a lens selection though. I wish Midwest had Pentax, they sell a lot of lenses for what they carry, but they sell a lot of accessories like tripods and bags, and have a ton of lighting gear. They sell a lot of pro studio gear. I think if I went in and said I wanted to buy a Pentax lens they would call B&H and get it. I've actually heard employees telling ither employees to call B&H.
05-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #411
Veteran Member

Boycotting Pentax Assembled in Vietnam lenses

Well, to add another dimension besides the skyrocketing lens prices I've decided not to purchase Pentax AIV lenses in protest against Vietnam's particpation in Africa's rhino slaughter. Here in South Africa we have a huge wildlife crisis, having lost over 370 rhino killed by poachers this year despite a very energetic anti-poaching effort.

Vietnam's Appetite For Rhino Horn Drives Poaching In Africa (NPR)
Worsening Rhino war Strains Countries’ Relations (Nat. Geo.)
Rhino horn smuggling bosses jailed in US (Daily Maverick, S.Africa)

Gray

Last edited by Gray; 05-30-2013 at 12:34 AM.
05-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #412
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Well, to add another dimension besides the skyrocketing lens prices I've decided not to purchase Pentax AIV lenses in protest against Vietnam's particpation in Africa's rhino slaughter. Here in South Africa we have a huge wildlife crisis, having lost over 370 rhino killed by poachers this year despite a very energetic anti-poaching effort.

Vietnam's Appetite For Rhino Horn Drives Poaching In Africa (NPR)
Worsening Rhino war Strains Countries’ Relations (Nat. Geo.)
Rhino horn smuggling bosses jailed in US (Daily Maverick, S.Africa)

Gray
Please don't make this political, or it will end up in some moderator closing the thread.

I don't think we should punish Pentax for not marketing an FF camera, not updating their lens lineup, not updating their flashes, asking exorbitant prices for their lenses AND the poaching of protected (but stinky) animals. We should cut them some slack somewhere.

05-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #413

What Price Increase?

This has to be some kind of wild rumor! Such price increases would indicate an inflationary economy. The media say there is NO inflation in our economy, so this must be some kind of rumor! FOX news said so!