Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Pentax is not Apple. In my eyes Nikon is Apple. Pentax is more like Linux. Canon is Microsoft. (Oly would have to be IBM or some other weird company)

03-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #17
Inactive Account

couple of thinks,...
Question : What you are saying is that Pentax is mainly a camera manufacturer and Samsung an electronics manufacturer. But if you say you are a true camera manufacturer does it mean we can expect a top model, the one that Sony, an electronics manufacturer, is announcing at present?

Answer : I can only speak for the USA market. Top models only own a small market segment, I think around 5% of the professional area. And besides a middle format Pentax, it was never an area Pentax aimed at. We have always remained on the consumer level, which is where the volume is. A more advanced camera is likely to show up in the future but I don't know anything about a specific plan. I am certain we are checking it out but for it to really happen, is as clear as mud. We have done some research with the Pentax digital 645 but we have decided it is not the right product at this moment.

does not look good, for seeing a high end body,... focusing on the consumer market,...
also did abandoned the 645 ,...
since Nikon is buying sensors from sony, don't see pentax going that route,
as such, don't see a full frame for 2009,...

just wish for a full frame ,...
canon is going to roll out 5D II,... ~$3.5k
and sony has a 24.6MP in the works,... ~2.9k ??

interesting note:
the D300 has the same vertical grip mounting approach,....

so for 2008, I'll see the K20D hold up,
but for 2009, it's going to get tough, to stay

sony is revamping their flash system,
sony will push high res fold out LCD
sony is pushing HDMI video out
sony will increase speed performance, and stick to 12bit A/D
sony will push 10-12bit+ HDMI /high res screens
sony will have new lenses, Zeiss glass, to support high res full frame
Nikon has buildin wireless flash support, and GPS support,...
Nikon and Sony will push new batteries
Nikon will have 14bit option
canon will push new sensor, to iso 12500 ,....
sigma HSM, don't see a clear support path for pentax or sony
tamron will push in with more lenses for Pentax

Pentax, don't know, but they need
- new AF sensors
- new sensor processing asic
- might get a better LCD than the competition,
- push the ISO, one more time,
- come up with something new

just my 2 cents, Rob

QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
Pardon me if someone beat me to the punch.

Pentax interview
03-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robsphoto Quote

does not look good, for seeing a high end body,... focusing on the consumer market,...
also did abandoned the 645 ,...

- new AF sensors

just my 2 cents, Rob

Difficult for Pentax to see the need for any of this since all the beta-testers they choose won't really push the imperative that Pentax go the extra performance mile. Almost all of their opinions to Pentax is that it is either "good enough", or will blow the DSLR market out of this world and have Nikon/Canon quaking in their boots.

After that feedback to Pentax (& us on these forums) about the K20D, compared to what the K20D actually turned out to be, there's not too much reason to strive for much, and becomes easiest to cop to saying anything more would "cost too much" for "profitability", though much of the technology Pentax need to improve on is available already in cheaper cameras. No wheel needs to be invented.
03-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

No way the new Sony is going to be 3k. I would say at least 7k, probably more knowing Sony. The only disadvantage at the moment for Sony is its AF lens collection: pricey and few and far in between. Old Minolta glasses are interesting, nonetheless.

QuoteOriginally posted by robsphoto Quote
just wish for a full frame ,...
canon is going to roll out 5D II,... ~$3.5k
and sony has a 24.6MP in the works,... ~2.9k ??

interesting note:
the D300 has the same vertical grip mounting approach,....

so for 2008, I'll see the K20D hold up,
but for 2009, it's going to get tough, to stay

sony is revamping their flash system,
sony will push high res fold out LCD
sony is pushing HDMI video out
sony will increase speed performance, and stick to 12bit A/D
sony will push 10-12bit+ HDMI /high res screens
sony will have new lenses, Zeiss glass, to support high res full frame
Nikon has buildin wireless flash support, and GPS support,...
Nikon and Sony will push new batteries
Nikon will have 14bit option
canon will push new sensor, to iso 12500 ,....
sigma HSM, don't see a clear support path for pentax or sony
tamron will push in with more lenses for Pentax

- new AF sensors

just my 2 cents, Rob

03-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apple/Subaru/Pentax - Honda?

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The Apple/Pentax analogy works for me because I use both for very similar reasons. They both do a better job for me than other tools I have tried. Both put quality over quantity. Both help me get more milage from my passion and make more money with my business.
This could be an interesting Forum survey ->

How many of you who use Pentax cameras also own or use:
  • an Apple computer
  • a Subaru vehicle

An Outback or Apple computer or Pentax is quirky and intellectual and interesting. Their owners have a relationships with them, and enjoy the experience of their use, not merely the outcome.

And there is just the slightest whiff of an Apple, Subaru and Pentax cult.
03-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Pentax is not Apple. In my eyes Nikon is Apple. Pentax is more like Linux. Canon is Microsoft. (Oly would have to be IBM or some other weird company)
Couldn't agree more. Function and flexibility for a price that can't be beaten - that's Linux for ya. And most Windows/Mac users have no problem bashing Linux and its users.

IBM has quit the consumer electronics and IT business completely. I think Hasselblad would be better suited for that comparison. For now, let's just compare Oly to Sun Microsystems.
03-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #22

One thing that Pentax and Apple certainly have in common is very loyal almost cult-like customers. Any unjust criticism of Pentax gear (*cough* ricehigh *cough*) and thousands of Pentaxians loudly protest.

03-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Couldn't agree more. Function and flexibility for a price that can't be beaten - that's Linux for ya. And most Windows/Mac users have no problem bashing Linux and its users.
I've no problem with Linux, I just can't stand Microsoft. Funnily enough though, as far as I know Apple only sells Canon cameras on it's website. I find that highly ironic since Canon is the spitting image of Microsoft in the camera world, also ironic is that you can get a Pentax from Dell's website though! I never could stand Dell computers.

SLC
03-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

How can that interview coul be considered reliable?

Look at this:

Question : Let's go back to the lenses again. Pentax has these beautiful Limited Edition lenses, the pancakes. They are nicely small and perfect. I would like to see that line extend. May we expect that?

Answer : Not that I know of. We have some sort of route for lenses and I haven't noticed an enhancement of the Limited lenses. I find them great too. But I think after these four, the most logical step would be to introduce more telephoto. And again; I haven't seen any plans on the roadmap.

Yet, on the roadmap there is a new limited, and it's a wide one, a 15mm.

If he doesn't know this, what he could know about the rest?
03-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #25

"so for 2008, I'll see the K20D hold up,
but for 2009, it's going to get tough, to stay"

What, you need a new camera every year??
03-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ftpaddict:

For a moment at least, let's [continue to] overlook that Linux doesn't work in the analogy given that it's not a "brand" (company).

Could you explain what made you state, "And most Windows/Mac users have no problem bashing Linux and its users."

Was this spill-over from some other thread? It seems like a complete non-sequitur--and ironic too, considering that it was you who took a shot, oblique as it may have been, at the Mac platform.

Just wondering.

-XM
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #27

^Agreed.

And BTW, let me state that being a longtime Mac user (and love Apple products), I never bashed Linux. IMO it's simply not ready for mass consumers yet, but their approach is very nice and I would be very happy to see Linux getting a higher share of consumer users.
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
And most Windows/Mac users have no problem bashing Linux and its users.
Since Mac OS is based on Unix... there wouldn't be too much to bash.

As an Apple and Pentax user, I don't really see the Apple/Pentax analogy holding up. Apple makes nice products at a premium price. There is no inexpensive Mac (and I don't think the mini counts as inexpensive). Pentax, with the K100 and K10, where known for making quality products at a lower price than what you'd pay for the other brands.
03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
@ftpaddict:

For a moment at least, let's [continue to] overlook that Linux doesn't work in the analogy given that it's not a "brand" (company).

Could you explain what made you state, "And most Windows/Mac users have no problem bashing Linux and its users."

Was this spill-over from some other thread? It seems like a complete non-sequitur--and ironic too, considering that it was you who took a shot, oblique as it may have been, at the Mac platform.

Just wondering.

-XM
I'm pretty sure that you are aware of the fact that Linux users, at least in most circles, are frowned upon by the "superior" Win & Mac users. Linux users are seen as uncool geeks who live with their moms and are probably still virgins (not that it matters anyway).
I know Linux isn't a company. My words weren't meant to be taken mot-a-mot. Let's not refer to them as companies, but rather as platforms. Would that work better? Or did I just make a complete fool of myself?
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

IBM still does enterprise stuff.....

anyway, please keep to topic guys....Im not sure where this all of a sudden turned into an IT discussion.....

thank you