Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
RaduA

Anandtech.com's Pentax K20D First impressions

And a very positive review IMO. It will be followed by a full review "soon".

The author insists on some key aspects such as: high res sensor, low noise, improved AF (claims better than K10D's), high quality of DA* 16-50 and better price / quality ratio than similar offers from C and N (with prices posted for comparison), noiseless AF with SDM (claims better than the rest), weather sealing.

All in all a very good news and big exposure on a very large hardware/computer/IT related site for IT enthusiasts.

Link: AnandTech: Pentax K20D First impressions

Radu

03-11-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Plenty excited about that.

Now if only I had the money to buy one.
03-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

props to them on their autofocus speed comments, wrt how canon's and nikon's are tested with USM lenses and Pentaxes are not ... although that is partly pentax's fault, who knows when the new *55 will show, even criticizing PopPhoto is a bonus
03-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anandtech are known for unbias reviews, they are one of the best computer hardware test sites and looks like one of the better camera review sites now lol.

03-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They said that SDM is the best. DA* SDM is quieter than any brand.
03-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I sort of cringe at their camera reviews. They do well on PC's but they seem to miss alot of stuff on cameras.
03-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
I sort of cringe at their camera reviews. They do well on PC's but they seem to miss alot of stuff on cameras.
like...? this isn't even a full review

03-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
like...? this isn't even a full review
Its more in reference to their earlier reviews. It feels like DSLR reviews by PS camera users. IE people who don't quite get why you'd want such a big camera. Id go back and quote for you, but dont have the time right now. I was just going through them and there were several statements that made me go "wait a minute, what?"

Last edited by Geekybiker; 03-11-2008 at 01:15 PM.
03-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
RaduA

It's all about exposure Anandtech.com is one of the most important sites for IT enthusiasts and maybe for many "geeks" from the IT world this would be the first time they hear about Pentax in really good terms. The preview is fair and I wait for the review. We (the photo afficionados) are used with more in depth reviews but for many this could be a first introduction to Pentax flagship camera.

Radu
03-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a very well written preview. The writer seemed to know about the camera (like he had really used one), and seemed to discuss some pretty important topics. Most reviewers wouldn't even know that there is a differece between screw and lens motor focusing. They sure wouldn't mention which brands 50mm had what focus system.
thanks
barondla
03-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
It's all about exposure Anandtech.com is one of the most important sites for IT enthusiasts and maybe for many "geeks" from the IT world this would be the first time they hear about Pentax in really good terms. The preview is fair and I wait for the review. We (the photo afficionados) are used with more in depth reviews but for many this could be a first introduction to Pentax flagship camera.

Radu
I agree, this is probably one of the most read tech sites in the world. This site has been on my rotation for years, its really a great resource for unbiased tech reviews and has a great forum as well. In the end, this is going to end up being very good PR for Pentax. Beyond that, I feel they did a really good job of addressing things about Pentax that are normally ignored in reviews, so props to them for that. Overall, even if this review had been more negative, I feel its the highest quality and profile review on the K20D yet.
03-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #12

From what I've read on the site they seem to like Pentax a lot.
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
From what I've read on the site they seem to like Pentax a lot.
and olympus, in the 2006 buyer's guide they were all over the k10d, 2007 all over olympus
good for them for not just going with canikon!
03-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #14

That was actually a pretty amazing first look, he went into enough detail, yet didn't get involved in the 100%-crop-or-nothing insanity. Usually tech sites fall over themselves on technical details and completely lose sight of the actual final product that a camera can produce.

I mean, he actually looked at things that photographers use, like Hyperprogram and auto iso!
03-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #15

QuoteQuote:
Our everyday cameras right now are a Canon 5D full-frame and 40D with Ultrasonic lenses and a couple of L lenses, and an Olympus E-3 with a Leica 25mm F1.4 and the new 12-60mm SWM lens. The Pentax DA* SDM is quieter than any of these cameras, including the 24-105mm Canon L. It is also subjectively as fast as or faster than any of these cameras with their best motor lenses.
Hah! Now, all of you, CaNikon users, shut up and say nothing more about the Pentax's AF speed! (no offence to anyone )