Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
A is auto-aperture, do you mean autofocus?
VisualDarkness: I mean that they aren't chipped to provide EXIF data.

05-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really? That can be true though but it sounds weird.
05-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samyang lenses on Pentax cameras do tell the camera what the aperture is, but they don't tell what focal length it is (so you have to input the closest option). They also don't tell "lens name" or things like that. The camera can control the lens aperture, though, since the lenses have an A setting on the aperture ring. No AF, of course. But CiF does work.
05-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

So for most people it's pretty much a none issue.

05-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
So for most people it's pretty much a none issue.
Possibly. But it makes some things like using SR and lens profiles in post processing, searching catalogs by lens .. harder
05-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
All K-mount Samyang lenses have auto aperture ("A" setting on the aperture ring).
My mistake, then.
05-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Possibly. But it makes some things like using SR and lens profiles in post processing, searching catalogs by lens .. harder
I'd consider this to be a glass-half-empty point of view. this is a 16mm f2.0 lens! Such a lens, to my knowledge, has never existed for the K-mount. That, in and of itself, is somethings special. Add to this that Samyang optics are highly regarded. As such, as far as I can tell, there is simply no other lens that offers the unique package this lens offers. The price will probably be decent, too. For me, the fact that it makes some of the extraneous functions, such as cataloging, more difficult, is to judge the lens by what it is not, rather than by what it is.

Which is 4 times faster than the closest Pentax prime. For some of us, this is enough of a benefit to justify purchasing it. I'm pretty certain I'll by it as an upgrade over my Tokina AT-X 17mm f3.5 (which is not great wide open).

It will also be great perfect for video.

05-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Which is 4 times faster than the closest Pentax prime.
It's only twice as fast as the DA 14mm.
05-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's only twice as fast as the DA 14mm.
Yes. And, in that range, 2mm is probably pretty significant. My guess would be that the DA 15mm would be significantly closer in its field of view to what the Samyang 16mm offers, and the 16mm is 2 stops faster. Hence, the 16mm is a unique offering. I'm not saying it's "better," simply that it offers something unique, and that is a great thing for people whose needs are better suited by it.

I'm one of those people. Honestly, I am mostly concerned by what lenses offer for video at the moment (cinematography is what I do for a living). In video production, the difference between f2, f2.8, and f4 is a pretty big deal. The fact that the 16mm will be able to accept my 77mm filters is also a big deal. For video, it offers a nice package for shooting day exteriors and interiors (due to the fast f-stop), and not a lot of drawbacks.
05-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 14 would appear to suffer from field curvature if I recall this forum's review of it correctly, which makes it somewhat less useful where sharpness across the frame is desired. It will be interesting to see if the new Samsung is better in this respect. Hyperfocal distance on APS-C at 16mm F2 is 21 feet according to DOFMaster.com, so could prove to be very useful for dull interiors (think European churches etc in winter) if it is reasonably sharp wide open.
05-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I hope the coma and flare is fairly low wide open. If so, it would be a nice lens for wide field astrophotography/night landscapes.
05-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Nice addition to their line-up!

I'll stick with my DA15/4 though. f/2 does add light gathering capability, but I rarely need that in a wide lens (long shutter speeds are easier with wide angles). No discernible difference in DOF is to be expected compared to the f/4 of the DA15/4, so that's not a reason either (for that purpose I use longer lenses with larger apertures and stitch à la Brenizer). So in the end it's the 1mm wider that means the FOV of the 15mm is closer to the 24mm FOV on 135film in the old days, a favourite FOV of mine. I always felt the 16mm on my DA16-45/4 and DA*16-50/2.8 slightly too narrow. But that's a very personal line of thought.

I'm sure this lens will offer a new option to many. Samyang is doing a good job of filling the gaps in existing lens line-ups. My first Samyang will be the 24/3.5 TS... Hope it won't be too long...

Wim
05-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
That's sure no 15Ltd is it?
That is one way of putting it, though knowing samyang this lens is probably capable of covering an APS-H sensor at the least - which would account for its size. The 77mm filter size is revealing, the DA15mm f/4 uses 49mm filters - and you don't have to use the slim ones. There are many photographers would would be better off sticking to the DA15 f/4, unless the corner performance of the new samyang lens can beat the sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 I won't be getting one any time soon. At 16mm one stop of lens speed isn't exactly going to open up a new realm of possibilities.

05-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gentlemen, start your tripods.
05-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Gentlemen, start your tripods
That was funny! I don't quite get what you meant, though...

At the end of the day, I'm almost certain I'll buy this lens, due to my satisfaction with my Samyang 24mm and 35mm lenses, as well as its compatibility with my 77mm filters, the long manual focus throw (which is fantastic for video). The physical size is also a bonus for video. Smaller lenses create a disadvantage when working with a follow focus and matte box.