Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #406
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Dynamic Range spec does not measure noise. DR is the amount of signal captured, measured in EV stops between the brightest recorded portion of the signal and the darkest.
I showed that number of over 3 stops really exists. 3.5 EV is the difference in dynamic range between the two, so it is 3.5 stops.
Regarding noise, it does relate to dynamic range. If you work on an image that is captured using lower DR (say K7), and want to process it so it appears it has more substantial darks, highlights, mid-tones, etc — more substantial tonal stretch, or give it an appearance of an image of a higher DR (k5), you interpolate 'noise', or controllably random information into it, like grain.
How much noise you want in it, depends on the DR you wish to achieve.
So loosely saying, the difference between the K5's DR and K7's DR is also 3.5 light stops of tonal stretch generated by noise, or random grain, required to make K7's image achieve visually similar appearance to K5's.

06-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #407
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
No, they demolish your real world opinion. I won't waste any more of my time on it though.
No they actually back up my real world experience. And that experience is that with all other things being equal the K-5 produces Images that would require nearly 3 full stops less to produce on the K20D.

To claim only 1 stop difference is just nonsense Compare an image taken at ISO6400 on the K-5 and it's a huge order of magnitude better than an Image taken at ISO3200 on the K20D.
06-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #408
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Megapixels determine the size of the image, not the quality of the image.
Check out this old article from the height of the megapixel war a few years ago.

Giz Explains: Why More Megapixels Isn't Always More Better
Then why not a 1 mp camera? A single fantastic mp?
06-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eliallan Quote
I don't think anyone is claiming mp are of no consequence, just that more mp does not guarantee better iq. .
Apparently, there are people who claim that mp are of no consequence for IQ:

(a)
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
The sensor quality is what matters not the size of the pixels.
(b)
Megapixels determine the size of the image, not the quality of the image.
Check out this old article from the height of the megapixel war a few years ago.

Giz Explains: Why More Megapixels Isn't Always More Better

Last edited by causey; 06-08-2013 at 06:39 PM.
06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
The WG-3 is very successful in professional applications. Dentists and auto shops seem to buy them up and so do the outdoor enthusiasts. The Mx-1 has been doing really well in Asia.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Yup. We bought a pair of WG10's for our auto shop. Can't believe how awesome it is for our uses.
Doing well enough that the WG Macros are also distributed in the B2B Division (as business tools for Dental and other applications) in the USA.
06-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Apparently, there are people who claim that mp are of no consequence for IQ
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Then why not a 1 mp camera? A single fantastic mp?
A. I never claimed mp is of NO consequence to IQ.

B. The only constant truth about megapixels is that they determining image size. That is it. Nothing more. Compare the six mp of a *ist DS vs the six mp of a camera phone. They vary widely. How about the 6 mp *ist vs a 16 mp K-5 IIs with a cracked plastic lens. They vary widely.

Considering that megapixels determine size, imagine I paint a picture on a 4" x 4" canvas vs a 8" vs 8" canvas. Is the image quality of the larger one automatically better? Of course not.

There are too many factors that determine image quality. Megapixels CAN effect image quality, but they are one of many factors, many of which being far more important to IQ than megapixels, that determine the overall image quality of a picture.
06-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #412
Veteran Member

A. I never claimed mp is of NO consequence to IQ.
Then you didn't express your thought very clearly. This is what you said: "Megapixels determine the size of the image, not the quality of the image." And to say that megapixels do not determine IQ is to claim that they are of no consequence to IQ.

But if mp are relevant to IQ, then it is possible in principle to have sensors with more mp that produce IQ higher than the IQ of sensors with less mp. Which is not to say that simply increasing the number of pixels is going to improve IQ.

P.S. I explained in another post why I would have liked to see 24mp in an entry level camera. I have spine problems, and the ability to crop given by such a camera would allow me to turn, as it were, my 135mm prime intro a 200 or 250mm lens. I am not a blind believer in mp.

Last edited by causey; 06-08-2013 at 07:39 PM.
06-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
You do realize that moving the "Exposure comp" just moved one of the preceding 3, ISO, aperture so shutter speed?

Right?
LOL. You do realize that suggestion was entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Right?

But there is a concealed nugget of a point in there, actually. There is a balance a designer needs to strike between not enough controls and too many, given a set of parameters that need adjusting. I think we can all agree that five control wheels would be too many. One is not enough in some cases (though it will suffice, if that's all ya got).

Is the right number two? Or three? Opinions differ I'm sure.

But with more wheels available, and something approaching a one-function-per-control mapping, the greater the chances are that you can program your brain and muscle memory to make a desired change without consciously thinking about it. Even when you're using a mode that doesn't use all the wheels. If you want EV comp, it's always in the same place, just grab it. No button pushing. No pausing to think about it.

This is why some people want a dedicated video button too.
06-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #414
Pentaxian

New lenses, where are these new new lenses as promised?
06-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #415
Pentaxian

I know many like the design of the K-30, but the K-50 does look more like a professional camera and less like an entry level camera in my opinion. If that was Pentax's goal, then I think they did a good job.
06-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #416
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay. I am late to the party. I get my wife to have a look at the K-50 image and compare that with her K-30. This is what she has to say.

The K-30 looks more rugged and sporty as far as outlook is concerned. The K-50 looks more rounded and traditional. Both camera looks just fine.
06-09-2013, 12:00 AM - 3 Likes   #417
Veteran Member

I can't see my camera when I'm looking through the viewfinder
06-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #418

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I can't see my camera when I'm looking through the viewfinder
Not even when pointing it towards a mirror?

Personally i wouldn't mind if the K-50, if it is real, sells alongside the K-30. That will satisfy those who like the aggressive look of the K-30, AND those who prefer a more traditional styling.
06-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Not even when pointing it towards a mirror?

Personally i wouldn't mind if the K-50, if it is real, sells alongside the K-30. That will satisfy those who like the aggressive look of the K-30, AND those who prefer a more traditional styling.
As I'm a vampire, I don't see ANYTHING in the mirror! Just a little tongue in cheek way of saying that I don't think the external looks matters so much, as long as the ergonomics are OK.
I use a K5 and K30 and the most annoying thing about the k30 styling is that some the LV and Playback buttons are swapped between the 5 and 30. With a mag alloy body, the K-50 looks like a good back up to the K5/K5II as well as a fine camera in its own right. I would think it is more likely to be a replacement for the K30 though...depends on the price as well, twin dials, focus peaking, weather resistance and all metal body would be some spec for the an "entry" level
06-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote

Personally, I think the K50 looks like Pentax have tried to make the generic DSLR - the one if you erase the logo you just can't guess who made it. Never mind - I don't care much.

However, as a general comment to the quote: I think Pentax have to give up trying to cover all the bases. The past years we have seen designs from the near and more distant past, in retro styled cameras (Q, MX) , we see the more aggressive and sporty look of K30 and the WG, and we see the futuristic K01. And now we seem soon to be offered this timeless K50. There's just no common thread.

I think, if I worked in their marketing department (ok, we all know they don't have one) I would be pretty frustrated.