Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #436
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Release date in Japan is July, 5. Does it mean that release date worlwide will be on June?

06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
*maybe* it's just a coincidence but Pentax page on Facebook is taking a poll on what color would you like as camera body if you can choose any color today... deciding what colors of K-50 to release in the US?
06-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #438

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
Digit photo is a perfectly legitimate French online retailer also with a real shop. It is very difficult to see why this is anything but a genuine error in listing the K50 too early.
If it wasn't a known retailer, I would have hesitate to spread this information (=rumor) among PENTAX and photo sites
06-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #439

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Apparently, there are people who claim that mp are of no consequence for IQ:

(a)

(b)
Ignorance is bliss!!!

The quality of the sensor is what is important. Not the size if the sensor. A Nikon is a 16 MP camera that cost $6000 and one of the best cameras in the world. Because of the quality of this sensor, it takes great photos with the rest of the quality it possesses.
Maybe you would say a Ti 4 is a better camera because the sensor is so much bigger? Uh... The K-r takes great photos with a 12.4 MP sensor but it can't have blown up photos like a Nikon D800 can. What size image do you want to work with should determine the size of a sensor you need. Yes we all want quality but quality is not a guarantee with a large size. So weather you shoot your K-5 at 16 MP's or 10 doesn't matter on the quality of the image. It has to do more with the photographer.

06-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
*maybe* it's just a coincidence but Pentax page on Facebook is taking a poll on what color would you like as camera body if you can choose any color today... deciding what colors of K-50 to release in the US?
K50 has a magnesium alloy body. It is easier to combine colours on a polycarbonate body like the K30 or Q10.
So I'd leave colour options for the K500, the true entry level camera.
However, the fact Pentax USA does some poll means little, perhaps nothing; they often do them, wasting theirs and people's time because they have nothing to announce and exciting to share (the most exciting this year being Ricoh GR), and they want to avoid (for them) almost constant unpleasant questions and remarks by whilstling some cheerful tune.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-09-2013 at 04:17 PM.
06-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #441

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Release date in Japan is July, 5. Does it mean that release date worlwide will be on June?
Thanks,
Gord
06-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #442
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Source? Even when doubtfull, it would be intresting to check it out...
06-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #443
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
However, the fact Pentax USA does some poll means little; they often do them, wasting people's time because they have nothing to announce and exciting tp share (most exciting this year being GR), and they want to avoid (for them) almost constant unpleasant questions and remarks they can't answer by whilstling some cheerful tune.
True. And if you show too much displeasure with Pentax on their Facebook page, you will get banned (like me).

06-09-2013, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #444
Site Supporter

After some thought, I'm starting to think that the K50 is a hoax in it's present form.

The camera looks too much like the DSLRs from the K10D/Kx days and is not too different from the existing K30 in terms of technical specifications.

If we are to believe what has officially come from Pentax over the last several years, the K50 as it appears, goes against Pentax saying they will make things only if they can fit a niche or are different.

So, I'm thinking this K50 is either a "bait and switch" and another camera will come, or Pentax is *seriously* squeezing the Hoya pipeline beyond relevancy.

If Pentax is still choking the Hoya chicken, then the Ricoh transition pains are much worse than anyone imagined.

Given the different niches of the K-01, Q, MX-1 and the DA560, I find it hard to believe that Pentax would market something so similar to the K30.
06-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #445
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
...Pentax is still choking the Hoya chicken....
LOL
06-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #446
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
LOL
"Pentax Marketing and the Hoya Pipeline"

"You're doing it wrong!"
06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #447
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
K50 has a magnesium alloy body.
Source?
06-09-2013, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #448

Why does it take years for Pentax to add features others already have? I dont see them having a touch screen before 2018, and forget wifi before 2020. They may add a swivel screen shortly after we colonize Mars.
06-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #449
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Why does it take years for Pentax to add features others already have? I dont see them having a touch screen before 2018, and forget wifi before 2020. They may add a swivel screen shortly after we colonize Mars.
To each his or her own. But I personally would think most of the features you listed would be in lower-end, consumer cameras. If the K30/50 is going to be the entry-level DSLR for Pentax, maybe it should have them. To me, Pentax is basically about offering the quality and ruggedness of a pro camera at mid-line prices.

Which brings us to what is probably Pentax's only real problem: The lack of a coherent marketing message. Perhaps they'll get that once the fruits of the Pentax-Ricoh combination really start rolling. Remember, the Ricoh GR is the first true product from that union. Everything else up to now was planned under Hoya or is a mild refresh of a Hoya product.

One final thought: Many people who post on this website truly have no idea how long it takes to pull corporate mergers together. It's been less than two years. Give them time. Pentax was in rough shape when Hoya bought them. To Hoya's credit, they didn't fold the camera division and still managed to put out a few really good DSLRs. They also brought Pentax to an operational break-even point. But R&D slowed to a crawl. It takes time to come back from that.
06-09-2013, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #450

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
To each his or her own. But I personally would think most of the features you listed would be in lower-end, consumer cameras. If the K30/50 is going to be the entry-level DSLR for Pentax, maybe it should have them. To me, Pentax is basically about offering the quality and ruggedness of a pro camera at mid-line prices.

Which brings us to what is probably Pentax's only real problem: The lack of a coherent marketing message. Perhaps they'll get that once the fruits of the Pentax-Ricoh combination really start rolling. Remember, the Ricoh GR is the first true product from that union. Everything else up to now was planned under Hoya or is a mild refresh of a Hoya product.

One final thought: Many people who post on this website truly have no idea how long it takes to pull corporate mergers together. It's been less than two years. Give them time. Pentax was in rough shape when Hoya bought them. To Hoya's credit, they didn't fold the camera division and still managed to put out a few really good DSLRs. They also brought Pentax to an operational break-even point. But R&D slowed to a crawl. It takes time to come back from that.
The k-30/50 is Pentax's lower end camera. And can anyone explain to me why we cant have these features, and good image quality? It seems like every Pentax shooter is just thrilled with keeping a camera as old school as possible, 2013 be damned! Like nobody except old people shooting birds uses Pentax. This is why we cant have nice things.