Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #481
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also think that the sooner Pentax can get a touch screen with good firmware onto their cameras, the better. I don't think I would use it for shooting much, but it would be great for navigating menus more quickly and reviewing pictures. I'm sure that all the camera makers are working on this. It's only a matter of developing the necessary firmware and that must be quite a big job.

06-10-2013, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Kenntak, then you should be trilled with the k-50, as they've added very little.
How do you know? I think the leaked spec (but not the leaked photos) should be taken with a spoonful of salt, it may have been copy-pasted because they didn't have full specs yet.

OT: Is it possible to turn off the the new picture icons in the forum overviews? They just make everything less readable
06-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #483
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
It would also take away engineer time from making other dire improvements on the Pentax system (AF, flash, more lenses, etc). In that regard, I would still rather see Pentax fix the fundamentals first but at least have someone start looking at improving other features to meet, or exceed the other brands.
I'm pretty sure it's not the same engineers that design AF, flash and lenses, that also design user interface. So designing all these things are not mutually exclusive. But Pentax would probably need to hire a new engineer specialized in touch interface, to do it right.
06-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #484
Veteran Member

I want top-quality lenses, fast and accurate AF, a decent, though not overcomplicated flash system, good ISO performance and great IQ. Get the basics right and everything else is a bonus for me. I don't use many of the features of my K-5 - not even Sv or TAv modes - but I don't mind them being there, as long as they're not traded off for something really important (which in those cases, they aren't). I have a D5100: I don't use it much (I got it on a whim after my neck ached from a macro session using a tripod), but the swivel screen has come in handy on a few occasions. I wouldn't want one on my K-5 if I had to trade that for weather resistance, for example. Does anyone make a WR camera with a moveable screen? Just asking.

06-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #485
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I wouldn't want one on my K-5 if I had to trade that for weather resistance, for example. Does anyone make a WR camera with a moveable screen? Just asking.
Yes the OM-D is WR.
06-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #486
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I'm pretty sure it's not the same engineers that design AF, flash and lenses, that also design user interface. So designing all these things are not mutually exclusive. But Pentax would probably need to hire a new engineer specialized in touch interface, to do it right.
Yea, I guess what I really meant to say is it's all part of their engineering/R&D budgets.
06-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #487
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Yes the OM-D is WR.
On this board, the most given reason why people do not want a swivel screen is their percieved lack of durability.
However, plenty of other cameras currently use them and I would love that functionality on a pentax DSLR. My knees and back would love not having to crouch down and contort to get different angles.
My question is are the swivel screens really that failure prone? As stated above the OM-D is WR AND has a swivel screen. The MX-1 has a swivel screen as do other DSLRs, and are they know for breaking or malfunctioning?

06-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
On this board, the most given reason why people do not want a swivel screen is their percieved lack of durability.
However, plenty of other cameras currently use them and I would love that functionality on a pentax DSLR. My knees and back would love not having to crouch down and contort to get different angles.
My question is are the swivel screens really that failure prone? As stated above the OM-D is WR AND has a swivel screen. The MX-1 has a swivel screen as do other DSLRs, and are they know for breaking or malfunctioning?
AFAIK almost every video camera for decades has used a swivel/flip-out screen of some sort. Pretty sure that technology has been figured out.
That being said, I would not want a swivel screen if it would make the camera more bulky. If it can be done without adding girth then I don't mind it.
06-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #489
Veteran Member

Size is another reason.

I hate touch screens. I don't want one on my computer, my phone, or my camera.
06-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #490
Veteran Member

The MX-1 has a tilt-only screen which folds out on two metal arms, one either side. Apparently the reason is that this system is stronger or more durable than a full-on swivel, at lest for this size/class of camera.
06-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Size is another reason.

I hate touch screens. I don't want one on my computer, my phone, or my camera.
I agree with touchscreens. I dislike them, but with smartphones, you are a captive audience.

With swivel screens, I would 100% trade the added volume for the functionality. Of course, that is soley subjective.
06-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #492
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's pretty hard not to think that full swivel LCDs, touchscreen interfaces, easy connectivity to the web or to other devices and very good video are the way consumer cameras are going. Not professional cameras perhaps, but Pentax do not make them with the possible exception of the 645D - but soon, consumer cameras which do not have these things will be the exception not the rule. So maybe it's a job for more than one engineer? Especially when you consider that Pentax will need other teams working on other things, such as improved AF and overhauling the flash system.
06-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #493
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Yes the OM-D is WR.
Sony A99, sony A77, Olympus E5 are Panasonic GH5 are other sealed cameras with swivel screen.
06-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #494
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Thinking that excluding these features, which could certainly add usability to many peoples photography other than yours and could be turned off or just not used, makes your camera, or you, 'more professional', it doesn't. They won't hurt you or your photography. You can play them off as gimmicks, but thats just ignorant and snarky. They all have real value to many, despite your jokes. They also don't hurt your image quality. You act like you lose quality to gain a feature. I don't get it? You can have both. and has anyone here seen or heard of a single camera where someone snapped of an articulating screen? This legend is worse than the k-01 rubber doors (don't think a persons lost one yet despite the 'oh the humanity' wailing in the isles about it.

And again, this is their entry model, not the pro model. This thread is a perfect example of probably why Pentax follows instead of leads. I am sure plenty here think AF is not for real photographers either and came to it kicking and screaming, or turn it off. Wash rinse, repeat. I knew I'd be attacked for heresy to even suggest such features, as has happened, like clockwork. I just didn't realize it was such a federal crime to express an opinion different from your normal Pentax shooter. But you all can relax, as Pentax obviously doesn't read this board for ideas, your back to basic models will safely remain in 2009.
How would you rank the need to add a swivel touchscreen to the need (or want) to upgrade AF to 39 points with best-in-class tracking capability?
06-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #495
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It's pretty hard not to think that full swivel LCDs, touchscreen interfaces, easy connectivity to the web or to other devices and very good video are the way consumer cameras are going. Not professional cameras perhaps, but Pentax do not make them with the possible exception of the 645D - but soon, consumer cameras which do not have these things will be the exception not the rule. So maybe it's a job for more than one engineer? Especially when you consider that Pentax will need other teams working on other things, such as improved AF and overhauling the flash system.
I think it will be enough with one engineer that design and specify the touch interface, then there will be others involved in implementing the design. Except for software, I don't think all that much extra resources is need if designing a new camera with or without a swivel screen.