Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Few months ago I suggested Pentax to do something like this in the picture below — use camouflage patterns. Adventurers, outdoor photographers and birders would maybe go crazy after them. Even military. For larger lenses, I suggested matching camouflage sock — just put it on and remove as needed.
I'd be afraid that I would set mine down and then not be able to find it!

06-27-2013, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #722
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Few months ago I suggested Pentax to do something like this in the picture below — use camouflage patterns. Adventurers, outdoor photographers and birders would maybe go crazy after them. Even military. For larger lenses, I suggested matching camouflage sock — just put it on and remove as needed.
Great idea..
07-03-2013, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
The K-50/500's body design reminds me of the K-x/K-m... didn't the "radical' K-30 body design fare well enough to set a trend?
The K-30 design was trying too hard to be different and scream "look at me, I'm T-O-U-G-H!", almost like the silly design of the latest W series cameras (I much prefer the extreme understatement design of my W10 - people have always looked at me in disbelief when I go swimming with it :-)).

My daughter just got her K100D stolen and was looking at a K-30 as a replacement, but didn't like the design at all, to her the K-50 is much better looking. Unfortunately, she'll probably leave Pentax for Sony - the NEX-6 with the 16-50 and the 35 is a much smaller package which will make it much easier for her to bring her camera along on different occasions. And that old M-50/1.7 she borrows from me will actually be easier to use on the NEX than on her K100D...

I think she's not the only one making this choice: while young women may very well prefer the K-50 over the K-30, they may still not choose a heavy SLR when there are lightweight mirrorless options...
07-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #724
Veteran Member

Sony may make decent picture-taking machines, but I dunno, to me they just seem soulless.

07-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The K-30 design was trying too hard to be different and scream "look at me, I'm T-O-U-G-H!", almost like the silly design of the latest W series cameras (I much prefer the extreme understatement design of my W10 - people have always looked at me in disbelief when I go swimming with it :-)).

I think she's not the only one making this choice: while young women may very well prefer the K-50 over the K-30, they may still not choose a heavy SLR when there are lightweight mirrorless options...
True, the K-50 is more "conventional"-looking than the K-30 design was... maybe Pentax overdid it that time, lol. The K-7 body design was so amazing, it's like a glove that takes pictures to me.

As for that part about choosing... yeah, it's not just the ladies looking for "a lighter, smaller choice" nowadays. A buddy of mine got the Q several months ago and I'm actually looking at getting one too, soon. Using two DSLR bodies at the same time is uncomfortable
07-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #726
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The WG cameras have an excuse - they are T-O-U-G-H I think the design fits them well.
I agree on the K-30 being overdone.
07-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Sony may make decent picture-taking machines, but I dunno, to me they just seem soulless.
They may have found their feet with the RX series. Their rapid development and updates, mostly adding features consumers or reviewers requested, is a turnaround.

Most info I've heard about Sony is their system cameras re slow sellers. NEX is fairly popular, but not a barnstormer, and has not really challenged the hegemony of DSLR's.

Pentax's relative conservatism goes to the hear to f the market, but they also miss glaring opportunities and are late to the "must have" parts of the new buyers. The Ricoh GR's poor video is a case in point. The K-500's missing AF points.

The worry for Pentax is they do not appear to have their ear to the ground as much as Sony. Canon is turning into the bells and whistles supplier, and Olympus is struggling with costs and the m43 sensor being seen as too small. Really only Nikon is in the same 'traditional' mindset as Pentax. The K-50 is indicative of that.

07-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #728
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Pentax's relative conservatism goes to the hear to f the market, but they also miss glaring opportunities and are late to the "must have" parts of the new buyers. The Ricoh GR's poor video is a case in point. The K-500's missing AF points.
I hear what you say, and it makes a lot of sense. But a lot of serious amateur and professional photographers are pretty conservative, I guess. What's a "must have" feature for some, is a "couldn't care less" addition to others. For my own part, I'm just coming to terms with having a third variable in the exposure calculation (ISO). I don't need WiFi (though I can see that some people would need it - and other people would like it); I don't need video or a plethora of scene modes and after effect filters. I don't need AWB, as I use RAW almost exclusively. Heck, I don't even need a program mode. It must be difficult for camera makers to decide just what their target buyers want - I guess that's where market research comes in. But one has only to read this and other camera fora to realise that what is desirable to some is anathema to others. All I really want is for Pentax to make desirable cameras (however one defines it), so they stay in business, and deliver a stunning top-end DSLR (APS-C or FF) that is even better than the K-5. And no, I don't really need anything better than the K-5, but I sure do WANT it!
07-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I hear what you say, and it makes a lot of sense. But a lot of serious amateur and professional photographers are pretty conservative, I guess. What's a "must have" feature for some, is a "couldn't care less" addition to others. For my own part, I'm just coming to terms with having a third variable in the exposure calculation (ISO). I don't need WiFi (though I can see that some people would need it - and other people would like it); I don't need video or a plethora of scene modes and after effect filters. I don't need AWB, as I use RAW almost exclusively. Heck, I don't even need a program mode. It must be difficult for camera makers to decide just what their target buyers want - I guess that's where market research comes in. But one has only to read this and other camera fora to realise that what is desirable to some is anathema to others. All I really want is for Pentax to make desirable cameras (however one defines it), so they stay in business, and deliver a stunning top-end DSLR (APS-C or FF) that is even better than the K-5. And no, I don't really need anything better than the K-5, but I sure do WANT it!
All the features you described can simply not be activated. Therefore there is no anathema, just a menu option you don't use.

I know 2 photojournalists and they work exclusively in JPEG because that is all their wire services will accept. Those D4's they use are monster JPEG machines at heart; the camera and user are expected to get it right at exposure. The rest is content editing. And they are now required to shoot videos.

Diverse functionality drives this market, especially at the top-end. BUt the lack of AF points in a model when all competitors now have them is poor.
07-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #730
Forum Member

Pentaxforums next meeting with Ricoh..?

... But the lack of AF points in a model when all competitors now have them is poor.
A general question: when is the next time people from Pentaxforums.com have the opportunity to meet people from Ricoh to talk about lacks like the one mentioned above?
07-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #731
Veteran Member

The worry for Pentax is they do not appear to have their ear to the ground as much as Sony.
Oh yeah, Sony is a huge innovator and trying new things (SLT). But I don't think photographers have warmed up to Sony much, apart from the Nex line. Its just obvious that Sony doesn't have the long photography tradition like Pentax (or Nikon, Canon, Olympus), even though they bought Minolta and have "Zeiss" printed on their lenses.
07-06-2013, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #732
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh yeah, Sony is a huge innovator and trying new things (SLT). But I don't think photographers have warmed up to Sony much, apart from the Nex line. Its just obvious that Sony doesn't have the long photography tradition like Pentax (or Nikon, Canon, Olympus), even though they bought Minolta and have "Zeiss" printed on their lenses.
That right there should be a warning to Ricoh about the value of the Pentax name.
07-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
A general question: when is the next time people from Pentaxforums.com have the opportunity to meet people from Ricoh to talk about lacks like the one mentioned above?
What for? People who value the illuminated AF points can simply go for the K-50.
07-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What for? People who value the illuminated AF points can simply go for the K-50.
Or see it as a detriment at that price point to the Pentax brand and buy a Canon or a Nikon.

Little leave outs like this make or break sales far out of proportion to their savings on the parts list spreadsheet.
07-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #735
Pentaxian

Are you saying the K-x was a failure, which drove many potential Pentax customers to Canikon?