Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #751
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A big majority of K500 target users don't give a damn about VF AF overlay and those who end up understnding what they miss will upgrade, either to K50 (not many) or K5 or whatever will be higher than K50 in the range at the time.
K-x was my first (d)SLR style camera... I had no idea there was a feature such as confirmation AF point in the viewfinder until a year or so later searching about camera differences.

With my K-x, I learned very quickly to focus center and then recompose the shot.. it wasn't a big deal. And on very fast shots I just let the camera pick... it never failed me.

Further, I have become so used to this type of shooting (no AF confirmation) that I DISABLED it once I got my K-30; The AF confirmation became annoying very fast to me. I don't want to see that garbage in my view finder.

People will get their big cameras and learn solid techniques for shooting first.. I mean did you have AF confirmation points in your Pentax PZ and other SLR film bodies?

It is similar to teaching kids mathematics with a calculator first.. versus teaching them the techniques by hand THEN giving them a calculator -- The AF confirmation point can be an asset, but it is smarter to learn how to work without it.

07-09-2013, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #752
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
People will get their big cameras and learn solid techniques for shooting first.. I mean did you have AF confirmation points in your Pentax PZ and other SLR film bodies?
PZ didn't have it, but with only one focus point it's not necessary, but the focus point had a frame on the matte screen.
SLR bodies with more than 3 focus points usually had illuminated focus points.
QuoteQuote:
It is similar to teaching kids mathematics with a calculator first.. versus teaching them the techniques by hand THEN giving them a calculator -- The AF confirmation point can be an asset, but it is smarter to learn how to work without it.
I'll say it's similar to not having illuminated speedometer on your car, where it sometimes will be hard to know the speed you're driving.
07-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I guess it varies from person to person... I have both the K-x and the K-5 IIs and the difference in clarity in the viewfinder is big enough for me to actually trust my weak eyesight (though corrected with contact lenses, still not precise) when using manual lenses. I find it much, much more difficult with the K-x. I have to squint even with the VF, so I just use LV on the K-x. The D3200's is really dim compared to the K-30's.

What I'm afraid of for the K500 is, when it hits shelves, the K-30 will still be around, at least in our place, and when it comes to value-for-price, the older unit will actually be a better bargain =))
Don't get me wrong, the K-5 has a great viewfinder. But good enough...? Maybe not for me.

I like the focus point confirmation, especially when I pick the focus point myself. I never let the camera pick, but I'm also not always willing to recompose. I actually miss the Fn button on my *istDs... there I could, at any point, use the direction buttons to pick the AF point. If I wanted to get things exposure rows etc. I can simply press the Fn button and then the corresponding button. Having to switch between picking AF point and the other features by pressing OK for a while annoys me a bit - I sometimes forget in what mode I am right now.