Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Resolutions 1920 x 1080 (30,25,24 fps), 1280 x 720 (60,50,30,25,24 fps), 640 x 424 (30,25,24 fps)

ISO 51 200 - I hope your words are sarcasm...NO. Only 25 600.
K-50 - Sensibilité jusqu’à 51 200 ISO grâce à une remarquable gestion
K-30 - expandable to 100-25600

So I was correct when it comes to that!

06-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You were restricting the advantages of high MPs to printer large only. Which simply is incorrect. And when proven wrong, you act like all these purported technological improvements that are just an excuse to become dumber, have already influenced you? The fact that you can't think of more advantages, does not indicate that there aren't any.

Cropping in PP is just as well a tool for the photografer as composing before taking the shot. During fast pased action photography cropping in PP is usually the best option. But that's an entirely different discussion.

But then the advantages still don't stop. The reason why the AA filter can be left out of the K5IIs is the high pixel density. The higher the pixel density, the less likely is the chance of noticeable moiré. So, a 24mp camera with no AA will have even less problems with moiré then the current K5IIs.

And then there's enlargements. For example for product photography. Ever seen those pictures in webshops that get enlarged an X amount of times when you hoover your mouse over them? Tell that photographer to learn how to compose beforehand, and that 6MP should be enough! I currently use a 5DMKII for such productphotography. But if Pentax marketed a 24mp APS-C, this would open up a new chance for them to be usable for professional photographers.
I completely understand for professional photography that technical advances are beneficial. But the K-50 isn't for this particular consumer. The K-5II/s successor is. I don't believe that it will continue with the 16 MP Exmor. Either Toshiba or Sony should be good. Also I remember hearing that Sony and Nikon have an exclusivity time frame. Maybe with the 24 MP sensor, the time period was longer or Pentax wanted to wait and see what they could squeeze out of the sensors? Ricoh could also be designing a new Prime processor, since they do their own GR processor I believe.
06-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by MouLaG Ôfr Quote
For me, nothing new except body design ...
The mic is in stereo, that's a bonus. Pitty however if the specs are true that there isn't an external mic input.
06-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MouLaG Ôfr Quote
With the redesign of the seller site today (digit-photo.com), i wonder if it was a mistake or a fake (a joke) ?!
It more or less proves that the K-50 is real.
Assuming that the page is published prematurely by an error, they were told to the remove it as fast as possible.

06-06-2013, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #170

You were restricting the advantages of high MPs to printer large only. Which simply is incorrect. And when proven wrong, you act like all these purported technological improvements that are just an excuse to become dumber, have already influenced you? The fact that you can't think of more advantages, does not indicate that there aren't any.

Cropping in PP is just as well a tool for the photografer as composing before taking the shot. During fast pased action photography cropping in PP is usually the best option. But that's an entirely different discussion.

But then the advantages still don't stop. The reason why the AA filter can be left out of the K5IIs is the high pixel density. The higher the pixel density, the less likely is the chance of noticeable moiré. So, a 24mp camera with no AA will have even less problems with moiré then the current K5IIs.

And then there's enlargements. For example for product photography. Ever seen those pictures in webshops that get enlarged an X amount of times when you hoover your mouse over them? Tell that photographer to learn how to compose beforehand, and that 6MP should be enough! I currently use a 5DMKII for such productphotography. But if Pentax marketed a 24mp APS-C, this would open up a new chance for them to be usable for professional photographers.
Oh please, don't think I am this limited. Let's put things in context, shall we. I do believe there are applications for higher MPs sensors, one such case is indeed the one you cited about commercial photography. Professionals in specific fields may benefit from that, no doubt about it (if this weren't the case, we wouldn't have had medium format, large format, etc. either). But the camera we're talking about in this thread is not aimed at such people, hence why I think that, had they put a 24MP sensor instead of a perfectly fine 16MP one (which is still doing the job and still doing it well), it would have been more of a marketing gimmick to appeal to the "I want more" crowd rather than a necessary technical improvement.
06-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Do the K-30 have a max ISO of 51200? Can the K-30 do 60fps video?
The K-50 video specs appear to be identical to the K-30.
06-06-2013, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
That said, I'm still waiting for something as light as the k-x. That camera is a classic.
I agree. The small size of the K-x is what Pentax needs at the lower end, especially for APS-C. The competition is the Canon EOS 100D.

06-06-2013, 05:19 AM - 4 Likes   #173
Veteran Member

i don't understand all of this new-found hand wringing over the K-30's design. I like it and I suspect Pentax has barely lost a sale anywhere in the world over the design. Really.... the only unconventional element is the flash housing. I imagine for every sale they did lose over the design, they picked up 10 or 100 because it came in that cool blue color.

Frankly, if someone walks out of a store with a Canon Ti5 or whatever and not a K-30, it's most likely because the store doesn't have Pentax cameras. That's the most glaring design error that needs to be fixed.
06-06-2013, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
...it would have been more of a marketing gimmick to appeal to the "I want more" crowd rather than a necessary technical improvement.
[sarcasm]
Yeah, why appeal to the "I want more" crowd and generate extra income? I don't see the advantages of that either.
[/sarcasm]

Necessary technical improvements:
- modernize flash line up.
- WR flashes.
- updating lens line up.
- Teathering.
- new flagship crop camera.
- new model in different format.
- new features to differentiate themselves.

All these points are many times more urgent then issueing the exact same camera in different cosmetics AGAIN.

The K-30 has been around for over a year. Most people that want one, have one.
06-06-2013, 05:29 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Rats in a sack anyone?
It doesn't make much sense to produce a WR version of the sh*t* DA L, if you already have a little bit better DA version, would there be any difference in production cost in the end?
06-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #176

[sarcasm]
Yeah, why appeal to the "I want more" crowd and generate extra income? I don't see the advantages of that either.
[/sarcasm]

Necessary technical improvements:
- modernize flash line up.
- WR flashes.
- updating lens line up.
- Teathering.
- new flagship crop camera.
- new model in different format.
- new features to differentiate themselves.

All these points are many times more urgent then issueing the exact same camera in different cosmetics AGAIN.

The K-30 has been around for over a year. Most people that want one, have one.
Yep, extra income is good but at what price? Oh right, silly me for thinking mindless consumerism isn't necessarily a good thing in the long run.

On your second point, I agree.
06-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #177
Veteran Member

There is going to be a new APS-C flagship camera, just be patient. They did the compacts, Mx-1, GR, WG-3, and now the SLR's.
The K-50 doesn't mean that Pentax isn't working on the items you listed. I think everyone that says this camera isn't for them should just relax, this one is for the new to Pentax camp and those that have the K-x. The next camera will be for the "I have lenses that need to be put on cameras that are worth it" consumers :-).
06-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It doesn't make much sense to produce a WR version of the sh*t* DA L, if you already have a little bit better DA version, would there be any difference in production cost in the end?
Kit lenses offer exceptional value and produce more than acceptable IQ for 90% of the market at these price points. They won't MF so that's no issue. They change lenses so infrequently a metal mount is not needed. About the only gripe I have is the lack of a hood, with its $3 production cost. I find that overly cheap IMO.

WR adds comfort to the use of the camera, for soccer moms, hikers, etc.

It's a good move.
06-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
I think everyone that says this camera isn't for them should just relax, this one is for the new to Pentax camp and those that have the K-x.
Most people that are served by the K-30, already own one. This K-50 gives the very new ones an extra choice in body cosmetics.

The next camera will be for the "I have lenses that need to be put on cameras that are worth it" consumers :-).
If those lenses are compatible. But that's a different discussion.
06-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #180
Veteran Member

There is going to be a new APS-C flagship camera, just be patient. They did the compacts, Mx-1, GR, WG-3, and now the SLR's.
The K-50 doesn't mean that Pentax isn't working on the items you listed. I think everyone that says this camera isn't for them should just relax, this one is for the new to Pentax camp and those that have the K-x. The next camera will be for the "I have lenses that need to be put on cameras that are worth it" consumers :-).
I wonder whether all these efforts for Mx1 or WG3 are really worth the pain and allocated workforce. Any idea of how well these sell ?