Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-5, K-01, K-30, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-50, GR - the same 16 MP sensor.
Every Canon APS-C since 2009 - same inferior 18mp sensor.

06-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Then they could have simply renamed the K-30. The cheapest way to produce a new camera every year is to rename the previous year's camera.
Even the photography magazines wouldn't fall for that trick. Pentax can get the "brand new" K-50 on the cover while the K-30 is old news, even if they are essentially the same camera. That's why Canon keeps rereleasing similar entry level cameras every year.
06-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
You're not looking at this right. If you already have a K-5 or K-30, you're fine! Congratulations! You already have a great camera. This camera is not and upgrade. It's not for you.

It's for people who still have a K200D or K-x.

It's for people who are just entering the DSLR market. Hence the term, "entry-level."

It's for people who are considering Canon, but can be persuaded to buy Pentax because of nice features like weather-sealing in a camera that kind of looks like a Canon.

Consider it a K-30 for the conservative-styling crowd. There's a market for that, and now there's a Pentax for that.
There have been a whole bunch of posts claiming the "different" styling of the K-01 was an attribute that attracted a few buyers. It was other issues that detracted from the K-01. Now, all of a sudden, the conservative (by comparison to the K-01) styling of the K-30 had to be made more conservative? If so, then why is this K-50 allegedly going to be available in anything other than black? I stand by a prior statement that Pentax barely lost a sale over the K-30 styling.

The question that really hasn't been adequately answered but keeps coming up: If Pentax couldn't persuade someone to buy a K-30, then why do they think they can persuade them to buy what amounts to be a virtually identical camera (spec-wise)?
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #244
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Every Canon APS-C since 2009 - same inferior 18mp sensor.
What is the main meaning of your statement? Is it good? Pentax goes Canon's way and it's good? To do the same as Canon does is the right way?

Anyway...We are living in new era of the new Middle Ages and the real progress (in any human activity) is just bad joke now.

06-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then they could have simply renamed the K-30. The cheapest way to produce a new camera every year is to rename the previous year's camera.
Well it is styled a bit more conservatively and has some mic input maybe better if anyone really cares...

DA-L WR kit is the real update and a marketing focus. I like that. This is by far the best deal in DSLR's with a pentaprism, not mirror, and WR.
06-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #246
Banned

Photos: Gallery
K-5, K-01, K-30, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-50, GR - the same 16 MP sensor.

To say honest - K-01 is really brave move. I applaud. Sad that no K-02.
Canon:

7D, 550D, 60D, 600D, 60Da, 650D, M, 100D, 700D - the same 18 MP sensor.

To say honest - M is really brave move. I applaud. Sad no one is buying.

That is the economics after the desasters and current low market. No money to move on.
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #247
Pentaxian

Except this one probably costs them less to manufacture.

06-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #248
Pentaxian

ONLY BIG AND STRONG companies could allow themself to make such cameras.
NOT SO WEAK AND SMALL PLAYER like Ricoh Pentax.

So small companies should go "Leica" way with much lower prices.
Except Leica is about highly priced, exclusive products. Make up your mind: you either want expensive, or cheap?

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Because they liked Pentax for who they were ~5 years ago? And they are now locked in, unable to afford the hassle of selling all gear and buying a complete new line up?
5 years ago means summer 2008. Pentax, after being forcibly acquired by Hoya, was dissolved and become a Hoya division. Pentax' production facilities in Japan were removed; bye-bye MiJ Limiteds - Hoya was busy with cost cutting and downsizing. Pentax launched the K-20D and the K-200D, both met with little enthusiasm by the market.
So, "they" liked that Pentax?

Now, back to our subject - the K-50: assuming it's real, it means Pentax is rearranging their APS-C DLSR range. Which is most likely a good thing.
The K-30 was already a highly competitive product, maybe they found that it's unusual styling was a drawback. Improve it a little, change its outer shell and voila, you have a competitive product made better.
If their strategy makes sense or not, we'll probably found out after another DSLR or two.
06-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Now, back to our subject - the K-50: assuming it's real, it means Pentax is rearranging their APS-C DLSR range. Which is most likely a good thing.
The K-30 was already a highly competitive product, maybe they found that it's unusual styling was a drawback. Improve it a little, change its outer shell and voila, you have a competitive product made better.
If their strategy makes sense or not, we'll probably found out after another DSLR or two.
I think a big piece of the puzzle is how much it costs. If it is a few hundred dollars more than a K-30 then it makes no sense to me.
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #250
Veteran Member

I did a cheap trick by going to the K-30 page on some official Pentax websites and changing "k-30" into "k-50" in the web-address (URL). That would reveal a prepared web page, but this didn't work for any of the sites I tried (Japan, UK, Germany, France, USA, Netherlands, Belgium, Europe).
I also changed the link to the PDF manual for the K-30 on the Japanese website but that also failed.
They are too smart, they are not consistent in their URL's, or the K-50 doesn't exist.
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the main meaning of your statement? Is it good? Pentax goes Canon's way and it's good? To do the same as Canon does is the right way?

Anyway...We are living in new era of the new Middle Ages and the real progress (in any human activity) is just bad joke now.
It is neither good nor bad. The 16 megapixel Sony sensor is about as good as anything out there short of full frame. The 18 megapixel sensor lags quite a bit, particularly in shadow noise. I don't have a big problem though if you have a good sensor doing tweaks to the body and other improvements.

I would guess that APS-C flagship will have 24 megapixel sensor, along with any auto focus, etc improvement that Pentax can think of to throw its way.
06-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am relieved at the site of this camera that I now know K100 is coming back!
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think a big piece of the puzzle is how much it costs. If it is a few hundred dollars more than a K-30 then it makes no sense to me.
Maybe it will be like when the K-5 II/IIs came out, and the original K-5's price plunged, making the decision to spend upwards of $300+ to get a K-5 II more difficult to justify. But then people started to actually use the K-5 II/IIs and realized it does offer some real benefits over the original K-5, apparently. Whether they are worth the couple hundred more over the original version, is up for debate and in the eye of the beholder/wallet-holder. So a K-50 with an internal stereo mic and maybe magnesium-alloy body might not make sense if it's initially priced at $800 (for body-only) when you can get the K-30 body for $500 right now.
06-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #254
Pentaxian

FTR, the K-30's launch price was $850.
06-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #255

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I did a cheap trick by going to the K-30 page on some official Pentax websites and changing "k-30" into "k-50" in the web-address (URL). That would reveal a prepared web page, but this didn't work for any of the sites I tried (Japan, UK, Germany, France, USA, Netherlands, Belgium, Europe).
I also changed the link to the PDF manual for the K-30 on the Japanese website but that also failed.
They are too smart, they are not consistent in their URL's, or the K-50 doesn't exist.
Not too smart, maybe just not dumb enough to keep work in preparation on a live server rather than behind a firewall on a draft server?