Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Meh. The K-50 styling wasn't my cup of tea, but neither was the K-30. The K-5 was my favorite. But hey, you get three choices of bodies. At least Pentax gives us that.
I own a K30. I don't understand the irritation against either of those two bodies, aesthetically speaking. It is, however, the first DSLR I've owned without an LCD on top. I think running the rear LCD probably spends a ton of energy, and may be largely responsible for the poor battery life. Therefore, my next body will be whatever replaces the K5II. What do you guys who've owned both think of that theory?

06-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #272
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Maybe they fixed the AutoISO in M mode bug.
I'm not familiar with that, what is it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
The K-5's sensor gave an almost 3 stop improvent on the K-7 in terms of ISO performance
You've been reading too much forum hype. As per DXOMark, the K-5 noise performance betters the K-7 by one stop over most of its range, extending to 1.2 stops at ISO 6400.

I owned a K-5 and K20D. There was one stop difference in my tests and as everyone knows, the K20D betters the K-7 by 1/3 stop.
06-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Meh. The K-50 styling wasn't my cup of tea, but neither was the K-30. The K-5 was my favorite. But hey, you get three choices of bodies. At least Pentax gives us that.
I just don't like the left hand side...seems too rounded....reminds me of the grip on the Canon 5D
06-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I own a K30. I don't understand the irritation against either of those two bodies, aesthetically speaking. It is, however, the first DSLR I've owned without an LCD on top. I think running the rear LCD probably spends a ton of energy, and may be largely responsible for the poor battery life. Therefore, my next body will be whatever replaces the K5II. What do you guys who've owned both think of that theory?
I've a friend with a K30, and I sometimes wonder how much I'd miss the top LCD, but your point about battery life is well made. I imagine, though, the purported K50 will have the same AA-battery arrangement as the K30, which adds a very small impost to ownership. Whether both models remain in the lineup will be interesting to see. What's been alleged about the K50 suggests some improvements on the K30's feature set, and the body material is certainly a step up in durability while the body styling suggests a step down in prestige.

Regardless of that, it seems to me that Pentax is probably positioning the current 16MP sensor as their entry/mid-level DSLR staple for the time being, so the replacement for the K-5II will probably have more MP, and hopefully further improved high-ISO performance, not to mention at least some of the other, oft-mentioned non-sensor improvements necessary to keep this model competitive.

Nikon's 24MP entry-level model doesn't seem to be doing much damage to Canon's lower-count equivalents, so I doubt Pentax has to ape this tactic, especially with the feature set of the K30.

06-06-2013, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
It is, however, the first DSLR I've owned without an LCD on top. I think running the rear LCD probably spends a ton of energy, and may be largely responsible for the poor battery life. Therefore, my next body will be whatever replaces the K5II. What do you guys who've owned both think of that theory?
I've owned three Pentax DSLRs that have always had a second LCD. I use it all of the time. I spent 5 years inbetween my K100D and my K-5 IIs, and when I went looking to upgrade I was thinking K-30 until I read that it didn't have the top LCD. That was the factor that pushed me to the K-5 IIs. I don't ever plan on buying a DSLR without this feature unless I run into buget constraints.
06-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #276
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I've owned three Pentax DSLRs that have always had a second LCD. I use it all of the time. I spent 5 years inbetween my K100D and my K-5 IIs, and when I went looking to upgrade I was thinking K-30 until I read that it didn't have the top LCD. That was the factor that pushed me to the K-5 IIs. I don't ever plan on buying a DSLR without this feature unless I run into buget constraints.
Users more familiar with photography concepts, f-stops, aperture, shutter speed, etc. are dependant on upper LCD. I hope that LCD on top evolves too; Leica's S camera has a rather nicest top LCD of all the cameras in the market. Maybe Pentax will borrow a page from Leica's book.

Back LCD, I seldom use it personally. Actually, I'd like back LCD to be an accessory, not a requirement. But it's impossible these days. It's a battery hog, and more it stays turned off, the better. I wish there is way to physically and literally turn it off completely — no kidding.
06-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #277
Veteran Member

I have a K20D with top plate and K-01 and K-x without. I prefer looking in one spot for the data. Sometimes I look for exposure parameters in the rear LCD of the K20D and I get annoyed that it's not there, I have to look at the top LCD. I can do without a top LCD, in fact I'd rather.

06-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Back LCD, I seldom use it personally. Actually, I'd like back LCD to be an accessory, not a requirement. But it's impossible these days. It's a battery hog, and more it stays turned off, the better. I wish there is way to physically and literally turn it off completely — no kidding.
I use the back LCD constantly for chimping and the histogram display.
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #279
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I use the back LCD constantly for chimping and the histogram display.
Speaking of which, there could be software solution needed to help us deal with idiosyncrasies of such kind.

For example, why not assign Green button on Pentax DSLRs direct video capture at a desired setting if one wants it? Pentax already has damn green button, just use Ricoh's philosophy of assigning whatever function one wants to each button — even to shutter release button – and there won't be stupid remarks a la DPreview: "K5II does not direct video button, minus for that" ... If Nikon want's to drill another hole in the camera and clutter the space, fine, but Pentaxians can have it by default.

It's the software thing, and Pentax needs to seriously think about its software. It can be much better, even visually — it looks like Space Invaders game as it is now ...

I'm eager to see how K50's software and UI looks like; the MX-1 is boring old Pentax; GR is much sleeker.
New DLSRs?

Last edited by Uluru; 06-06-2013 at 07:23 PM.
06-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #280
Veteran Member

At least on the K-5, hit the INFO button twice to turn off the back screen. In the menus, set the Instant Review menu's Display Time to "Off" to disable the image review after taking a shot.

Do these two things and the back LCD will always be off, except for a few seconds when you turn the camera on or change modes, or you press one of the following buttons: INFO, MENU, any of the 4-way controller buttons, LV or Playback (all of which need the back LCD to be of any use). All other buttons either display nothing, or will use the top LCD.
06-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #281
Inactive Account

Users more familiar with photography concepts, f-stops, aperture, shutter speed, etc. are dependant on upper LCD. I hope that LCD on top evolves too; Leica's S camera has a rather nicest top LCD of all the cameras in the market. Maybe Pentax will borrow a page from Leica's book.

Yeah, I'm sure glad my Arca view camera has that upper LCD, otherwise how would I know what f-stop, aperture, and shutter speed I was set to? The top LCD is especially convenient when I set my f-stop and aperture to two different values, because they are totally different things!

The top LCD shows VITAL information that is displayed NOWHERE ELSE. When I look through a DSLR viewfinder, and I'm wondering "hmmm, I don't remember the two values I dialed in JUST THREE SECONDS AGO, where could I possibly go to find this information?", I don't want to have to move my eyeballs and look down to see those glowing values in the viewfinder. No, I'd MUCH rather take the camera away from my face, ruin my framing and focus, and look at that ALL-IMPORTANT top LCD.

Also, the top LCD has important tools like histogram and magnified live view for critical focusing that you can't get anywhere else.

All in all, I ONLY buy cameras with a top LCD. Sometimes I JUST buy a top LCD so I can look at it. I also put top LCDs on other things, like toasters and umbrellas.
06-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ytango Quote
I also put top LCDs on other things, like toasters and umbrellas.
Don't go there:

[IMG][/IMG]

06-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #283
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ytango Quote
The top LCD shows VITAL information that is displayed NOWHERE ELSE.
Actually, you can get the camera to display all of the same info on the back LCD (by enabling the status screen option). But I agree, it's handy to be able to look down on the top LCD rather than having to use the back LCD. It also saves more power.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm not familiar with that, what is it?
On all Pentax cameras that have TAv mode, AutoISO is automatically turned off when you set the dial to M mode. The K-01 was the first camera to have a pseudo-TAv mode by allowing AutoISO in M mode. The K-30 uses the K-01 firmware and Pentax didn't change that behavior even though the K-30 has TAv mode.
06-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
On all Pentax cameras that have TAv mode, AutoISO is automatically turned off when you set the dial to M mode. The K-01 was the first camera to have a pseudo-TAv mode by allowing AutoISO in M mode. The K-30 uses the K-01 firmware and Pentax didn't change that behavior even though the K-30 has TAv mode.
TAv mode functions the same as M mode with AutoISO. In K-01 there is only one wheel, therefore, difficult to implement TAv mode whereas K-30 has two wheels, so no need to have AutoISO in M mode for k-30.