Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #316
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
My only concern is price. Preliminary price with DAL WR 18-55 is EU699. From my initial searches, the Nikon D3200 with 18-55 MSRP was EU569 (currently EU478), ....
All right, what about this: who ever said that K50 is an entry level camera from Pentax? Had Pentax ever stated this?
Mind you, this camera was not even officially announced yet.

The K500 will be an entry level offer, in the price range you're talking about, but it will be drawn in the next move.

What Pentax has played now is a variation of the Two Knight's Defense, an opening by Black (defendant) and used by many great chess players, like Tal and Spasky.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.
06-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
All right, what about this: who ever said that K50 is an entry level camera from Pentax? Did Pentax ever stated this?

The K500 will be an entry level offer, in the price range you're talking about.
There is more to my post than just that. The D5200 and the T5i aren't technically entry level (since the D3200 and the non-existent Rebel T5 are the entry levels). It's just that, coming in later than CaNikon makes the MSRP less palatable to the general public when compared to the currently discounted prices of the CaNikon equivalent.
06-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #318
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What is it people want to see in an "entry level" camera? Just a 24 megapixel sensor? Some kind of new feature that isn't present in the rest of the Pentax line up? I just don't get the disappointment. It seems like if this was flagship then it would be a problem, but honestly, I have said before and will say again that the D3200, as an entry level camera, is a waste for people who will be shooting with a kit lens. And I don't understand how a K50 "falls behind" cameras like the T3i and D5200 that it will be selling against. To me, it feels like it would be a better photographic tool.
Precisely!
Like as if all the naysayers need to buy all the camera types Pentax produces.

I've reviewed the K30 (in the K30 thread an another forum)
Its rooted in fundamentals for helping the user that photos, not gizmondy features that catch the eye when the layman compares spec sheets.
A camera like the K50 (if true) is the same thing.

If we are underwhelmed by it, perhaps we should be.
Its after all an entry/lower end camera.
But its built upon the very good K30 (also a bit of K5) and it will have the right features to help the user take good photos. (not more MP; wifi; touchscreen; etc that may look cool, but is not the first thing a photographer needs to aim him taking photos)
06-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #319
Veteran Member

I find it irritating when people look at my photos and first comment is "Oh, you must have a nice camera," followed by the question: "how many megapixels does it have?"
I know the feeling. Someone once came up to me and said: "Wow, that's a nice camera. How many megapixels?" when I was shooting my Pentax 645.

06-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I know the feeling. Someone once came up to me and said: "Wow, that's a nice camera. How many megapixels?" when I was shooting my Pentax 645.
Was he amazed?
06-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
All right, what about this: who ever said that K50 is an entry level camera from Pentax? Did Pentax ever stated this?

The K500 will be an entry level offer, in the price range you're talking about, but it will be drawn in the next move.

What Pentax has played now is a variation of the Two Knight's Defense, an opening by Black (defendant) and used by many great chess players, like Tal and Spasky.
Like with the K2000 and KM?
06-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #322
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Like with the K2000 and KM?
Something like that.
K30 was never intended to be a lower tier camera, yet it ended up being one. It was confirmed by Mr Shigeru Wakasiro, Pentax system camera development manager in the CP+ interview.
They always wanted to fill in the lower tier gap, and according to him, now they are definitely preparing for it.

Guessing from the K50's appearance, I suspect the K500 will not have magnesium body like the K50, but sturdy polycarbonate like K30 yet still fully WR, and slightly lowered in specs (say max ISO 12800, min shutter speed of 1/4000, little smaller too, and stuff like that).

Last edited by Uluru; 06-07-2013 at 06:59 AM.
06-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Precisely!
Like as if all the naysayers need to buy all the camera types Pentax produces.

I've reviewed the K30 (in the K30 thread an another forum)
Its rooted in fundamentals for helping the user that photos, not gizmondy features that catch the eye when the layman compares spec sheets.
A camera like the K50 (if true) is the same thing.

If we are underwhelmed by it, perhaps we should be.
Its after all an entry/lower end camera.
But its built upon the very good K30 (also a bit of K5) and it will have the right features to help the user take good photos. (not more MP; wifi; touchscreen; etc that may look cool, but is not the first thing a photographer needs to aim him taking photos)
What is this camera borrowing from the K-5? I truly doubt it's getting a metal body and that was essentially confirmed on the dpreview forum by someone who almost certainly knows. Dust reduction mechanism from the K-5?
06-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #324

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
[partial quote]

That was one of the main factors why I purchased a K-30 last week. I want to learn photography--I don't need extra things getting in the way.
06-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #325
Pentaxian

I find it irritating when people look at my photos and first comment is "Oh, you must have a nice camera," followed by the question: "how many megapixels does it have?"
Actually, I haven't heard that in quite a while. When people comment on my camera, if they know what a DSLR is and I have the DA70 mounted, they usually look a little confused and ask if it really is a DSLR. If they know little about cameras and I have the DA16-45 mounted, they often comment that it "looks like a paparazzi lens" :-)
06-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
My only concern is price. Preliminary price with DAL WR 18-55 is EU699. From my initial searches, the Nikon D3200 with 18-55 MSRP was EU569 (currently EU478), the Nikon D5200 was EU839 (currently EU690), and the Canon T5i/700D was EU749 (currently EU649). So the k-50 would compare well against the D5200 and the 700D, but would still be more expensive than the D3200. On the other hand, it is at the very least equal to the D5200 in specs and has WR, so it would be proper for it to be more expensive than the D3200.

The problem is that since Pentax is bringing this out behind the CaNikon's equivalents and people will start comparing the k-50's MSPR vs the current prices of the D3200/D5200/700D.
Well, understand that launch price and sales price are two different animals. On Amazon, the K30 with kit lens and D3200 with kit lens are selling within a few dollars of each other. The D50 will launch for a little more, but it won't take long before the body price drops to about 475 dollars and kit lens package is 540.
06-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #327
Veteran Member

Well, understand that launch price and sales price are two different animals. On Amazon, the K30 with kit lens and D3200 with kit lens are selling within a few dollars of each other. The D50 will launch for a little more, but it won't take long before the body price drops to about 475 dollars and kit lens package is 540.
Yep - I would hope for that. Pentax has shown that they like to throw in a rebate/discount on their bodies within a month or two of launch. I'm hoping that it helps to make the K-50 very competitive vs the current CaNikon equivalents on the market.
06-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Actually, I haven't heard that in quite a while. When people comment on my camera, if they know what a DSLR is and I have the DA70 mounted, they usually look a little confused and ask if it really is a DSLR. If they know little about cameras and I have the DA16-45 mounted, they often comment that it "looks like a paparazzi lens" :-)
I've never been asked Actually, not because I am a recluse but because, i suspect, folks here just see a "nice camera" and leave it at that. They're not curious because they're not interested. OTOH, I have quite often been asked of a shot "How did you do that?" by folks who are, at a guess, used to PaS cams with no depth of field and which average every exposure. In some ways, what you can do with a DSLR, which is the entire point of buying one, gets lost in all the technical claptrap.
06-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #329
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know you're being sarcastic, but honestly, you can take photos that are good with any of these cameras. Some are pretty crippled in some respects. The Canon cameras I wouldn't particularly recommend unless video is your thing. But unfortunately, people buy based on specs (16 megapixels versus 18 megapixels versus 24 megapixels) and don't really look any further than that.

It is not that the new camera doesn't seem to be an excellent camera. I'm sure it it; I might even buy it. I'll wait to see the actual detailed specs when it comes out in order to decide between the K-50 and the K-30 at a very discounted price. The thing is, K-50 looks very much like the K-30. Unless the detailed specs reveal some real improvement, the K-50 is just a marketing gimmick, IMO.
I am sure a lot of people who don't see any reason to complain about the K-50 would be disappointed if the next flagship camera (K-3) turned out to be a K-5III/s.
I would have liked a 24mp sensor for a good reason. I have spine problems (which is why I prefer the lighter entry-level cameras), and 24mp would have given me room to crop. With 135mm prime + 24mm I would never need to carry a longer tele lens.

Last edited by causey; 06-07-2013 at 08:00 AM.
06-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
The thing is, K-50 looks very much like the K-30. Unless the detailed specs reveal some real improvement, the K-50 is just a marketing gimmick, IMO.
Yup.

I guess I'm glad Pentax is doing marketing gimmicks rather than nothing at all. I think a lot of the angst on this board is because most of the people here can see through the gimmicks and were assuming Pentax would do something to move the 'state of the art' in their next camera.

But we'll see. Maybe the AF-C will be better than the 7D or D7000. Maybe the dynamic range, will improve. Etc., etc.

It's not a camera for me but it could be an OK camera for the market depending on price and performance.