Gack!

No green button! What a world!

06-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Yup.

I guess I'm glad Pentax is doing marketing gimmicks rather than nothing at all. I think a lot of the angst on this board is because most of the people here can see through the gimmicks and were assuming Pentax would do something to move the 'state of the art' in their next camera.

But we'll see. Maybe the AF-C will be better than the 7D or D7000. Maybe the dynamic range, will improve. Etc., etc.

It's not a camera for me but it could be an OK camera for the market depending on price and performance.
I agree. First of all, I am glad to hear something from Pentax -- better that than nothing at all. Secondly, specs don't tell you about performance and that is what I wonder about -- are video modes improved? Is there manual control of video? Is tracking auto focus better? I just don't know. I doubt the sensor shows any big changes, but a few tweaks to the K30 could improve it (understanding that current K30 users probably won't be tempted to go to it).
06-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
On all Pentax cameras that have TAv mode, AutoISO is automatically turned off when you set the dial to M mode. The K-01 was the first camera to have a pseudo-TAv mode by allowing AutoISO in M mode. The K-30 uses the K-01 firmware and Pentax didn't change that behavior even though the K-30 has TAv mode.
Never thought about this question before so I just checked it on my K-30. When I go into M mode, the camera does not employ AutoISO. It seems to select that last known fixed ISO setting. Conversely, in TAv mode, it does employ AutoISO. I don't see any bug -- isn't this the way it should be? Am I misunderstanding?
06-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
M mode is supposed to be ALL Manual, including ISO.

This was a digital thing. On film ISO was either DX coded or preset with a few buttons to change on AF cameras (mostly to protect slide shooters from messing with things they should not alter).

Both users and manufacturers seen to be confused about exactly how constrained M mode should be. On Pentax, M mode with auto ISO is TAv.

06-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
M mode is supposed to be ALL Manual, including ISO.

This was a digital thing. On film ISO was either DX coded or preset with a few buttons to change on AF cameras (mostly to protect slide shooters from messing with things they should not alter).

Both users and manufacturers seen to be confused about exactly how constrained M mode should be. On Pentax, M mode with auto ISO is TAv.
I agree which is why I don't understand what this K-30 "AutoISO in M mode bug" mentioned in post #259 and #284 is all about. Mine appears to work just as expected.
06-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
All right, what about this: who ever said that K50 is an entry level camera from Pentax? Had Pentax ever stated this?
They don't have to. It's the only low-end camera they have. So, by default, it is their entry-level.
06-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I agree which is why I don't understand what this K-30 "AutoISO in M mode bug" mentioned in post #259 and #284 is all about. Mine appears to work just as expected.
Historically M mode meant no change to ISO. Of the trifecta for exposure, ISO was not user defined but (literally) defined at the Kodak factory. You could change it, but off manufacturer spec, and pretty much the same as EV. Dead wrong for most slide shooting, but OK for colour negs.

With digital, there is no consensus that M mode from any manufacturer means ISO should not float or be fixed. Floating is actually more traditional from the user perspective because aperture and shutter speed are all they had available anyway.

Pentax digital saw the floating ISO as a mode unto itself, so TAv. In Pentax digital M mode is more rigid (and IMO complex) because now you have to worry about 3 exposure settings and not just the traditional 2. So for users who want it, M mode is now configurable to emulate TAv mode.

On the K-30 M or TAv mode with twin dials appears ideal. Now look at the Ricoh GR where ISO has the rear dial to itself. Hmmmm......

Nothing has changed photography more (since the advent of AF) than digital's floating, fungible, ISO.

One thing I liked from my MZ-S (sadly, sold) was the ability to lock the minimum shutter speed regardless of mode on a separate switch.

06-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #338
Veteran Member

Historically M mode meant no change to ISO. Of the trifecta for exposure, ISO was not user defined but (literally) defined at the Kodak factory. You could change it, but off manufacturer spec, and pretty much the same as EV. Dead wrong for most slide shooting, but OK for colour negs.

With digital, there is no consensus that M mode from any manufacturer means ISO should not float or be fixed. Floating is actually more traditional from the user perspective because aperture and shutter speed are all they had available anyway.

Pentax digital saw the floating ISO as a mode unto itself, so TAv. In Pentax digital M mode is more rigid (and IMO complex) because now you have to worry about 3 exposure settings and not just the traditional 2. So for users who want it, M mode is now configurable to emulate TAv mode.

On the K-30 M or TAv mode with twin dials appears ideal. Now look at the Ricoh GR where ISO has the rear dial to itself. Hmmmm......

Nothing has changed photography more (since the advent of AF) than digital's floating, fungible, ISO.

One thing I liked from my MZ-S (sadly, sold) was the ability to lock the minimum shutter speed regardless of mode on a separate switch.
I clearly must be failing to grasp something. On my camera, M mode fixes ISO and TAv mode floats the ISO. I don't see any "bug". Maybe boriscleto can re-explain. I gathered from his/her last post on this, he/she thinks K-30 ISO floats in both M and TAv because there's a similarity to the K-01 firmware -- but that's not what my K-30 is doing. Might it have been an early bug that was fixed with one of the firmware updates?
06-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #339
Pentaxian

Now look at the Ricoh GR where ISO has the rear dial to itself. Hmmmm......
I really like TAV mode, and use it most of the time. However, I've always wondered why no one at all has introduced a camera with three dials... one for aperture, one for shutter, and one for ISO. Spin to adjust, press to make automatic.
06-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #340
Forum Member

Gack!

No green button! What a world!
I see a green button in the picture. What are you referring to?
06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #341
Veteran Member

Perhaps I just missed it. One of the pictures online didn't have it (I think).
06-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #342
Veteran Member

Ah, I did miss it. It's on top in the front. I don't like that as much as the K-5 but it seems OK.
06-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at these preliminaries, I do like the green button next to the shutter release. It makes it easier to find when shooting!

Regards,
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #344
Pentaxian

Ah, I did miss it. It's on top in the front. I don't like that as much as the K-5 but it seems OK.
It's right where it is on my K30.
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I really like TAV mode, and use it most of the time. However, I've always wondered why no one at all has introduced a camera with three dials... one for aperture, one for shutter, and one for ISO. Spin to adjust, press to make automatic.
That's a fantastic idea!