Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #391
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
Anyone reguarly using the TAv mode?
Absolutely. It was 95% of I used for years. Now I'm about 50-50 between TAv and 'SAv'.

You need Av to define DOF (and/or lens 'sweet spot'). If it's bright out I go into 'SAv' and if it's low light I use TAv.

06-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #392
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
No not true, the MP size determines the size of the photo, not the quality of the photo. Do you own study; take the same photo in the 16 MP mode and one at the 10 MP mode and recropp both of them to around 1500 MP. You won't find any difference in the pictures. Why would Nikon have a $4000 camera that is only 16 MP if what you are saying is true? MP size determines the size capacity of the photograph and not the quality of the image.
You mean, the number of mp has no import whatsoever regarding the level of detail a camera is capable to produce? As far as I know, resolution is dependent on the number of pixels. Or you want to say that detail doesn't pertain to the quality of a photo?
06-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
No not true, the MP size determines the size of the photo, not the quality of the photo. Do you own study; take the same photo in the 16 MP mode and one at the 10 MP mode and recropp both of them to around 1500 MP. You won't find any difference in the pictures. Why would Nikon have a $4000 camera that is only 16 MP if what you are saying is true? MP size determines the size capacity of the photograph and not the quality of the image.

The reason they have a $4000 16mp camera is the speed smaller file can get them the fps they need
06-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
You mean, the number of mp has no import whatsoever regarding the level of detail a camera is capable to produce? As far as I know, resolution is dependent on the number of pixels. Or you want to say that detail doesn't pertain to the quality of a photo?
Megapixels determine the size of the image, not the quality of the image.
Check out this old article from the height of the megapixel war a few years ago.

Giz Explains: Why More Megapixels Isn't Always More Better

06-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #395
Veteran Member

This is the famous "good enough" issue. In many (most?) common applications there is a point at which more detail generates little or no observable difference to the image. Of course, that inflection point varies with the application - there's no one answer to your last question.

BTW, I do use TAV, either directly via the mode dial or by making adjustments in program mode.
06-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #396
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Looks like a K-30 replacement. My only question is why?
Why ask why?

06-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #397

I don't think anyone is claiming mp are of no consequence, just that more mp does not guarantee better iq. The D700 is usually the champion of this argument, its only 12mp, but the pixels tend be very good pixels. The resolving power of the camera is a combination of many factors, the number of pixels is just one of these. A 50mp sensor with a soft lens might show no improvement over a 12mp sensor. In some cases higher pixel count has resulted in reduced iso perfomance as well. I think what we are really arguing is that we only want more pixels when those pixels provide real improvement over previous sensors, ie d700 to d800 not sony 16mp to sony 24mp.

06-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #398

So it's basically a K-30 with a mag alloy body. Considering the low prices on the K5II I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense. The 16mp sensor is good no question, but from a marketing perspective Pentax are not helping themselves much here.
06-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
So it's basically a K-30 with a mag alloy body. Considering the low prices on the K5II I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense. The 16mp sensor is good no question, but from a marketing perspective Pentax are not helping themselves much here.
An insider on the dpr forum has all but confirmed it's a polycarbonate body.
06-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #400

Ok fair enough so that's even less interesting then! I suspect they worked out the transformer looking K-30 might have turned some buyers off. Bar a few bits like better video etc, I'm not seeing a big step forward here.
Isn't it time to move up to a 24mp CMOS sensor? And isn't it time to beef up the AF system a bit more?

Not saying it won't be decent (if it had a grip option might be of some interest) just in the market out there it's not likely to do much
06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #401
Forum Member

For the number of pixels to be limiting, you need a lens with a higher resolution, and use it correctly.

I have some pictures with my K5 at full resolution with my Tair11 in ideal conditions, where the next smallest things to the goose bumps of a person standing 50 meters away is... pixels. Very pleased with that lens. Of course, I cannot reach anywhere near that level of detail with my modern "consumer" zoom lenses. So yes, for those who are really intrested in high levels of detail, 25Mp is usefull. For most consumers who use standard lenses, 16 is more than sufficient.

I will keep using the highest available resolution. Not because it matters much, but because I can.
06-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
An insider on the dpr forum has all but confirmed it's a polycarbonate body.
Unless Pentax found a way to make cheaper magnesium bodies, the insider is probably right. I can't think of Pentax making a more expensive to produce "K-30". On the contrary, as part of the APS-C range rebuild, it makes sense to do a cheaper one.
If true, I can't help but wonder - are there other mistakes in that specification list?
06-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Unless Pentax found a way to make cheaper magnesium bodies, the insider is probably right. I can't think of Pentax making a more expensive to produce "K-30". On the contrary, as part of the APS-C range rebuild, it makes sense to do a cheaper one.
If true, I can't help but wonder - are there other mistakes in that specification list?
A magnesium body makes sense from a production standpoint when it is used for a range of camera's. For example K-500, K-50, K5. They can be produced in the same factory and even on the same production line with as many shared parts as possible.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 06-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
06-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Signal to noise ratio and dynamic range are different concepts. SNR is the difference, measured in decibels, between the signal you intended to capture, and the grunge that the sensor added that you do not want in your photo. A doubling of the signal to noise ratio is 6dB, which corresponds with one stop. As I stated previously, the SNR ratio of the K-5, i.e. noise performance, is one stop better than the K20D's.

The Dynamic Range spec does not measure noise. DR is the amount of signal captured, measured in EV stops between the brightest recorded portion of the signal and the darkest.

Capture a raw image, at ISO, of a dark mountain and bright sky using a K20D and K-5. Expose so that the highlights are at the same point in each image, just below clipping. Noise levels are about 1/3 stop difference, not significant. The K-5 will still have recoverable signal (detail) for three stops below the K20D. Let's say you take advantage of the K-5's DR and boost the shadows by 3EV. You will see more of the mountain, but also more noise. Noise will now be at ISO 800 level on the K-5 and ISO 100 level on the K20D. You used the extra DR and it was beneficial, but the unboosted K20D photo now has lower noise, by approximately 1.2 stops (32dB vs. 39.3dB = 7.3dB).

Smeggypants' original statement, that noise is 3 stops better, is overstated by two stops. You can't interchange DR stops and SNR stops. If you push the shadows, you push the noise by an equal amount.
Sure. There is about a stop improvement in iso performance from the K20 to the K5. DXO Mark gives a "sports iso" of 1160 to the K5 and 650 to the K20 -- basically a stop difference.

I will say that the high iso (3200/6400) is more usable on my K5s and cleans up better than my K20 files would due to lack of banding that showed up above iso 1600 on the K20. I know that not all K20s exhibited banding, but when it was there, it was pretty hard to deal with. Even if overall noise levels are similar, the presence of absence of banding isn't something that DXO Mark score will indicate.
06-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
On the contrary, as part of the APS-C range rebuild, it makes sense to do a cheaper one
Same w/ the upcoming K-5 rebuild probably ...the APS-C body pricing has dropped as Canikon makes room for the low-end FF bodies. The D7100 came out w/ a lower MSRP than the D7000 IIRC.

Nice to see the K-50 has 1080/24p though disappointed it doesn't have 1080/60p for slow motion...