Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #466
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
when did Pentax's naming of cameras make a lot of sense?
Never, that I can remember. Being a bit organized I find some of the competitors systems at least easier to figure out.

k-x, k-r, k-7,k-30,k-5 well if I see that on the shelf how am I supposed to know what is what? Baffling.

06-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #467
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Why is having bells and whistles a negative? They dont have to take the place of something else. They dont make anyone less, or more, of a photographer. I dont see how they hurt.
Touchscreen, for example, would make for a worse UI than the current, photographer-oriented interface. One major drawback is the fact that you have to look at what you're doing, i.e. take the camera from your eye, change the grip to be able to reach the screen and then do the gestures while watching carefully, because you have absolutely no tactile feedback. For a weather sealed camera, rain could also make it unusable.
The current interface, OTOH, allows you e.g. to change the focus points while looking through the viewfinder; miles better than a touchscreen, for photographic purposes.
There's only one way it wouldn't hurt usability: a dual, fully redundant (at least where that matters) hard controls + touchscreen. Which is not a given.

I guess we all agree tethering would be at least a nice to have.
06-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Touchscreen, for example, would make for a worse UI than the current, photographer-oriented interface. One major drawback is the fact that you have to look at what you're doing, i.e. take the camera from your eye, change the grip to be able to reach the screen and then do the gestures while watching carefully, because you have absolutely no tactile feedback. For a weather sealed camera, rain could also make it unusable. The current interface, OTOH, allows you e.g. to change the focus points while looking through the viewfinder; miles better than a touchscreen, for photographic purposes.
All valid points. I find touchscreen most usable during focusing on live view and during playback.
True touchscreen (capacitive at least) would be unusable in wet conditions, but a physical on/off switch would easily fix the problem. Much like the physical SR on/off switches of past Pentax DSLR bodies.

IMO, Pentax WILL integrate touchscreen and articulating screens into their DSLR bodies once mid to high range Canikon bodies also adopt them. As for now those features really only exist in the lower end models. Pentax, like Canickony, are probably waiting to see how successful these options and technologies are before making them standard across the line. Better to be safe than to alienate pros and prosumers.
06-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #469
Forum Member

Previously I have stated that I don't believe this internet based, one site only rumor. I am changing my mind.

It makes sense to introduce a model which is below K30, true entry level, more basic, few advanced features with below-kit lenses (plastic mount, plastic glass etc). Not to please any of us, but to attract people who would otherwise buy a 600D or a D3100. This camera could actually sell better than any of the current pentax SLRs.

And then they'll find a 20 bucks 30 years old M50mm 1.7. And it works perfect. And then they are hooked to buy the more advanced models.

So to all you Kr, Km, Kx, K7, K5 and K30 owners, don't expect too many advanced features.

06-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #470
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Next up I want Assassin's Creed and StarCraft II on my camera. OK, maybe I can also watch Game of Thrones on it.

Photoshoots are boring sometimes, need more distractions.
Cool!
How about an inbuilt GPS and navigation system? An online help system? Can the annoying beep be replaced by a vibrating thingy? How about instant cartoon additions, much like the "Space Jam" movie?
06-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #471
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Funny. A friend wants to shoot birds, that's why he didn't pick Pentax. He went for Panasonic instead (gives him a compact camera with good image quality (still a rather big sensor) and something like 600mm 35mm equivalent. You can't have that with Pentax, unless you go for MF or a huge lens.
Of course you can get a 600mm FOV with Pentax. Just mount a 300mm lens and crop. That's exactly what micro 4/3 does. Check out the Nikon D7100, it allows you to do the crop in the camera instead of the computer. A smaller sensor, crop in the camera or on the computer, it's the same result.

What's worse about going with m4/3 is that they don't have any high quality supertelepho lenses, just slow consumer zooms. And no real AF-C, and no tracking. Good luck shooting birds in flight. Your friend has made a poor choice. Pentax is not the best DSLR brand for birding, but Panasonic is far worse.
06-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #472
ogl
Banned

July, 5 is the start of sales in Japan.

06-10-2013, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #473
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why is having bells and whistles a negative? They dont have to take the place of something else. They dont make anyone less, or more, of a photographer. I dont see how they hurt.
Just because another brand has something doesn't mean that Pentax has to stick it in their cameras. I am very much of the opinion that it is silly to add options, just to add options. Touch screens, if they come, will be on the entry level cameras. I just don't see many professional photographers begging for such a feature. Articulating screen is probably a little different. I think it would be handy for macro shots, etc where you have the camera in a place that it is hard to view the back screen/viewfinder.

Throughout the years, Pentax has been focused on producing the best still photography experience possible. Features that don't seem to add anything to that, have not been added.

The issue to me, is that I want to see Pentax catch up in areas like auto focus. This would entail having a better auto focus module on the camera and also releasing some top end lenses with real ring motors in them. This would be a lot more beneficial for birding (and lots of other things) than a touch screen.
06-10-2013, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #474
Veteran Member

You can turn off touchscreens, you dont have to use wifi, and you never have to articulate the screen. And you dont have to ruin it for others. If you think smart phones are aggravating, no wonder you're so scared of these new fangled electronics. I actually feel like I'm talking to my mother about technology.
You would do a lot better to just make your points without the subtle or not so subtle personal attacks.
06-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #475

I agree, once personal attacks like that occur, I am less interested in what the person has to say.
06-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #476
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If done correctly a touch screen interface add quite a lot of added value IMO, But as said before, everything you can do on the touch screen should also be possible to do with buttons. So the touch screen is only there to make operation of the camera easier and quicker. And with many users coming from smartphones, it will be easier for them to adapt to a camera with a interface they are familiar with.

After using a smartphone daily for some years I'm so familiar with touch screen, I have sometimes found myself touching the screen when I want to change settings on my camera. In some ways touch screen is a superior interface compared to buttons.

If using OVF the touch screen should not be active unless you press info or menu buttons. So it will only be used for quicker navigation in menus.
In playback or LV there is many new features that improved by using touch screen. FI in playback you point on the screen where you want a zoomed in view for checking focus. And if you want to move the zoomed in part, you just drag the image around with you finger. And you can use the same functions when manually focusing in LV.

But IMO touch screen is a bigger advantage if used on full time LV cameras, and even more so it they are small and difficult to fit all buttons. So it could be very useful on Q.

I'm not sure a swivel screen will be easier to damage than a fixed, it's just a matter of designing the swivel sturdy enough, and in some cases a swivel screen might save some broken LCD's as it don't have to be exposed during transport.
The biggest disadvantages of swivel screen is IMO that they make the camera larger, more expensive and it might be more difficult to design the OVF as good as the eyepiece might have to be moved further up and back.
06-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #477

Thinking that excluding these features, which could certainly add usability to many peoples photography other than yours and could be turned off or just not used, makes your camera, or you, 'more professional', it doesn't. They won't hurt you or your photography. They all have real value to many, despite your jokes. They also don't hurt your image quality. You act like you lose quality to gain a feature. I don't get it? You can have both. and has anyone here seen or heard of a single camera where someone snapped of an articulating screen? This legend is worse than the k-01 rubber doors (don't think a persons lost one yet despite the 'oh the humanity' wailing in the isles about it.

And again, this is their entry model, not the pro model. This thread is a perfect example of probably why Pentax follows instead of leads. I am sure plenty here think AF is not for real photographers either and came to it kicking and screaming, or turn it off. Wash rinse, repeat. I knew I'd be attacked for heresy to even suggest such features, as has happened, like clockwork. I just didn't realize it was such a federal crime to express an opinion different from your normal Pentax shooter. But you all can relax, as Pentax obviously doesn't read this board for ideas, your back to basic models will safely remain in 2009.

Last edited by Tom S.; 06-10-2013 at 10:15 AM.
06-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #478
Veteran Member

E-M5 has pretty nice touchscreen interface yet it doesn't really make physical control worse, although there could be plenty of improvements still. I personally would love it, if anything, just for quick AF selection. It's even more useful if they add more AF points for K-3 or whatever. Also, it's much more intuitive to flip through photos when I hand the camera to others. E-M5 isn't an entry level camera in Olympus' line up so I don't understand the whole 'only entry level camera gets those gimmicks'. I understand that adding such 'simple feature' is really not so simple in reality, especially to do it right. It would also take away engineer time from making other dire improvements on the Pentax system (AF, flash, more lenses, etc). In that regard, I would still rather see Pentax fix the fundamentals first but at least have someone start looking at improving other features to meet, or exceed the other brands.
06-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #479

chiane, you are entitled to your opinion like everyone else. I find it a bit ironic that you claim you are being attacked for heresy, when you unjustly claim that one of the members is so so scared of these new fangled electronics, and that you feel like you are talking to your mother about technology. Personally, I don't need a swivel screen or a touch screen, but I realize I do not have to use them. At the same time, I would be paying for them to be implemented in the camera.

I would rather the extra expense be devoted to things I would appreciate and use more. Before I bought my Pentax, I researched and demoed many cameras, including ones with touch screens and articulating screens. Considering those features, and comparing them to the Pentax, I preferred the latter. It is not necessarily an issue of people fearing new technology. My son is as up on technology as any other person, and he personally does not like touch screens on cameras either.
06-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #480

Kenntak, then you should be trilled with the k-50, as they've added very little.