Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
How would you rank the need to add a swivel touchscreen to the need (or want) to upgrade AF to 39 points with best-in-class tracking capability?
In the long run a swivel touch screen might be more important, as Pentax might struggle to find new users otherwise. Users that are grown up with touch screen on most tech gear. For them touch screen might be just as important that some users grown up with 135 film feel about FF.

06-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote

-- snipped --

It makes sense to introduce a model which is below K30, true entry level, more basic, few advanced features with below-kit lenses (plastic mount, plastic glass etc). Not to please any of us, but to attract people who would otherwise buy a 600D or a D3100. This camera could actually sell better than any of the current pentax SLRs.

And then they'll find a 20 bucks 30 years old M50mm 1.7. And it works perfect. And then they are hooked to buy the more advanced models.

So to all you Kr, Km, Kx, K7, K5 and K30 owners, don't expect too many advanced features.
hmm, I am not sure why some are obsessed with the "entry-level" model below k-30... in fact, now that k-01 is no longer available, x-5 is the entry-level (albeit a bridge camera) in Pentax line. An entry-level camera with spec less than k-30 is not going to able to compete with equivalent Canikon models. If the k-30 is priced properly and attractively it would be able to compete with the Canikon entry-level models.
06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #498
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't mind a swivel screen on a non-WR camera. I wouldn't mind a swivel screen on a high-end WR camera. I would mind a lack of somewhat inexpensive semi-pro WR camera due to the swivel screen increasing cost.
06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #499
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
hmm, I am not sure why some are obsessed with the "entry-level" model below k-30... in fact, now that k-01 is no longer available, x-5 is the entry-level (albeit a bridge camera) in Pentax line. An entry-level camera with spec less than k-30 is not going to able to compete with equivalent Canikon models. If the k-30 is priced properly and attractively it would be able to compete with the Canikon entry-level models.
The entry level is where you "trap" the consumers.
If you are a newbie, you are going to buy a 300-400 DSLR, and a lens maybe two. Then you will buy a flash, and maybe a faster, "pro-style" lens (expensive). At that point, the consumer is stuck in that system. If he wants to switch systems, he has sell all his acquired gear for 75 cents on the dollar, not to mention the hassle factor.
Unless his DSLR experience is god-awful, when his current camera breaks, he will get the same brand.

People at that point may also invest in a second system, and get a camera like the K-30 or K-50...but that does not mean that they will stop buying stuff for their original system.

Regarding the X-5, it might be nice camera, but you can't buy more lenses for it.

06-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #500
Veteran Member

Not disagreeing that we have to compete at the entry-level, if the entry-level Pentax dslr model comes with similar specs as the equivalent Canikon model, it would have to compete (undercut) on the price and even then, it is not sure way to win "newbies". Besides, another low-end model could also cut into the potential sale of k-30 too. IMHO, k-30 is the entry-level dslr camera in the Pentax lineup is a better strategy.
06-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #501

Seems to be the same weight 590 g Body Only, am I right?
06-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asroma Quote
Seems to be the same weight 590 g Body Only, am I right?
Consensus is that the specifications were cut and pasted from k-30 with intent to edit but the page was taken down before the edit, so no idea if the body weight will be the same. Seems unlikely. I don't think you can take any of the specs as true at this point.

06-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #503
Unregistered User

I must say that I am very pleased with how K50 looks. It is basically a Kr body, which I always considered much more aesthetically pleasing than the K30. What Pentax need is an entry level camera that can compete, in terms of price, with Canon 1100 and Nikon 3200. This could well be it.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I must say that I am very pleased with how K50 looks. It is basically a Kr body, which I always considered much more aesthetically pleasing than the K30.
I think it's prettier than the K-r which kind of looked like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a K-x or a K-5. And IMHO the grip and prism makes it look less "fat" than both the Canon and Nikon entry level cameras.
06-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I must say that I am very pleased with how K50 looks. It is basically a Kr body, which I always considered much more aesthetically pleasing than the K30. What Pentax need is an entry level comera that can compete, in terms of price, with Canon 1100 and Nikon 3200. This could well be it.
While I prefer the k-30 model better as entry-level, I do hope that they will keep the production of these two models in parallel so potential buyers would have a choice between the two... not that is likely going to happen, but an overlap for a period of time would be nice.
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM - 3 Likes   #506

The entry level

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The entry level is where you "trap" the consumers. If you are a newbie, you are going to buy a 300-400 DSLR, and a lens maybe two. Then you will buy a flash, and maybe a faster, "pro-style" lens (expensive). At that point, the consumer is stuck in that system. If he wants to switch systems, he has sell all his acquired gear for 75 cents on the dollar, not to mention the hassle factor.
I very rarely see any DSLR users in public with an add-on flash or a prosumer-grade lens. Most DSLR users I see are using just the cheap kit lens that their camera came with in Auto-mode, flashing at subjects 50-feet away and grumbling about how one day they're going to get serious about learning to use their camera (to get photos that are less disappointing). If they upgrade at all, it's to get the inexpensive telephoto kit lens or occasionally they'll spend the big money to get a all-in-one super-zoom lens. That's it. After they give up on their "professional-style" DSLR that largely fails to deliver on the promise of professional-quality photos, the camera becomes a hand-me-down to a relative or a good used deal to a friend or co-worker. Finally, it's back to snapshots with a compact or cellphone and taking advantage of amazing features like blink and smile detection.

As for myself, I'm the suspected photography pro. Not because of the equipment I have or because I'm moving around to get various angles but because I'm wearing a $5 set of foam kneepads!
06-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clones123 Quote
I very rarely see any DSLR users in public with an add-on flash or a prosumer-grade lens. Most DSLR users I see are using just the cheap kit lens that their camera came with in Auto-mode, flashing at subjects 50-feet away and grumbling about how one day they're going to get serious about learning to use their camera (to get photos that are less disappointing). If they upgrade at all, it's to get the inexpensive telephoto kit lens or occasionally they'll spend the big money to get a all-in-one super-zoom lens. That's it. After they give up on their "professional-style" DSLR that largely fails to deliver on the promise of professional-quality photos, the camera becomes a hand-me-down to a relative or a good used deal to a friend or co-worker. Finally, it's back to snapshots with a compact or cellphone and taking advantage of amazing features like blink and smile detection.

As for myself, I'm the suspected photography pro. Not because of the equipment I have or because I'm moving around to get various angles but because I'm wearing a $5 set of foam kneepads!
That may be true most of the time...but obviously some people do move up. If they didn't, how do you explain this website or the countless others? And do you think most of the people that frequent these sites started out on a $6000 D4 with a $2000 24-70f2.8 ? I suspect most enthusiasts started out with the cheapest SLR/DSLR they could afford.
06-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You summed me up perfectly, except after my DSLR became a hand-me-down, I turned left at the fork and got a new body and better glass.

I agree though that those are the majority of DSLR users in public.
06-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #509
Forum Member

Hello Clones, you have inspired a brilliant idea!

Some computer programs sometimes have pop-up windows with tips and tricks for non-experienced users. Could there be some similar thing on cameras? Such as that if the camera detects a landscape, sees a lot of vibration and the user has set large aperture, high apertur, there could be a message "Tip: for landschape photography, Pentax recommends a tripod."

Or, if the camera is pointing up but moving around all the time, "Tip: for low angle photography and suspected professional looks, wear foam knee pads".

Would it be possible for a camera to detect bad photos?

Last edited by JohntheThird; 06-11-2013 at 02:56 AM.
06-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #510
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
Would it be possible for a camera to detect bad photos?
Well, my phone reckons it can pick the best photos out of a burst of 20!