Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #556
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The main question...
K-5II's replacement is high-end APS-C camera or FF camera?

Will Pentax stay with 4 cameras in line - K-500, K-50, K-3 (APS-C) + KF-1 (FF) or only with 3 cameras? And how will it be?
I think/hope we will see a low mid high apsc and a prosume full frame.

I've actually been thinking about full frame Pentax design for a while... and I wonder if they could do something a lil different. now this should go in another thread... but what about a 16-20mp full frame sensor but with really high low light capabilities ala D4 by Nikon with a fast processor. WR of course. price it around $2500 but take a lot of cues from the D4. Make it the ultimate reporter camera with a crazy fast buffer, WR, SR, and new FF lenses with improved quick SDM.

06-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #557
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Yeah, well, I don't know about making it look like any other dull Canon or Nikon. How's that going to get them attention on the store shelves? Maybe Marc Newson may have been too much in the other direction, but still some sort of design effort wouldn't go astray...

Or maybe it would as I can only assume from this leaked image that feedback from the Ducati-styling of the K-30 has told Pentax the consumers actually want boring ugly black cameras which all look the same.
06-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
...K-30 will be in photo-stores for some time, of course.....
I thought it was agreed that K-30s were never in photo stores in the first place?
06-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #559
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think it's the other way round. If they had a FF, Pentax would gain marketing momentum that would put its entire offer in a new light. Websites would start talking about FF and other cameras too, forums would start to brew, and the ripple effect would carry across positive vibe.

That is what Sony has done with the RX1 — that was outstanding, out of the blue, unexpected move that has secured Sony lots of fans and admiration. Now everyone waits for Sony to introduce FF Nex mount!

Pentax Ricoh have done just a moderately successful move (in comparison to RX1) with the new GR; not quite the same effect, but still good. They really need to pull out some heavy guns, and start playing some bold, strong, unexpected moves.

And everything else will fall into its proper place.

Pentax, pull out the bloody FF in whatever form, as a DSLR and as a compact camera, as soon as possible for the FF game is still hot and open to surprises. Steal the ball, grab the attention.
I don't really think that a FF from Pentax will gain all that much attention. Sure within a few weeks after release it will be a lot of talk. But after that it will probably be like it's been for Sony on FF, hardly any interest outside their own user base.

How much interest is it on Sony A99 today? (To me it seems like this camera do not exist)
I really doubt Sony gain many new users because of A99.

Sony seems to be more successful in mirrorless than DSLR, and they have managed that without FF and on a shorter time span. IMO FF is not about gaining new users, it's about supporting existing users. At least when you are a small player like Pentax.

06-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #560
Pentaxian

K-50 specifications have appeared on Digital Camera Info website:

??????K-50??????? - ????info

Google Translate

They are close, if not identical (I did not check), to those from the French retailer Digit-Photo (edit: apart from the then alleged magnesium alloy body). Here they are:

- 16.28 million effective pixels APS-C CMOS sensor
- "Prime M" image processing engine
- Sensitivity: ISO100-51,200
- Shutter speed: 30 seconds to 1/6,000 second
- Continuous shooting: 6 frames per second
- Video: full HD 30fps
- Autofocus: 11 sensors, of which 9 cross-type sensors, SAFOX IXi +
- In-camera shake correction (SR), O-GPS1 GPS unit support, automatic correction of horizontal level, composition fine-tuning
- Viewfinder: pentaprism with 100% coverage and 0.92 magnification
- SD / SDHC / SDXC and Eye-Fi cards support
- 921,000 dot 3-inch LCD monitor
- Cold-proof (up to -10 degrees Celsius), dust-proof and drip-proof
- Li-ion battery; 3 [AA] batteries as an alternative
- Dimensions: 129 x 96.5 x 70mm
- Weight: 590g body only, 675g with battery and card
- Estimated retail price: around JPY75,000 yen body only, around JPY80,000 with zoom lens
- Expected release date: July 5th, 2013

Last edited by Mistral75; 06-12-2013 at 09:16 AM.
06-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
K-50 specifications have appeared on Digital Camera Info website:

??????K-50??????? - ????info

Google Translate

They are close, if not identical (I did not check), to those from the French retailer Digit-Photo. Here they are:
They said they got the specs from their readers? This is probably a rehash of the original French retailer's leak.
06-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I think/hope we will see a low mid high apsc and a prosume full frame.

I've actually been thinking about full frame Pentax design for a while... and I wonder if they could do something a lil different. now this should go in another thread... but what about a 16-20mp full frame sensor but with really high low light capabilities ala D4 by Nikon with a fast processor. WR of course. price it around $2500 but take a lot of cues from the D4. Make it the ultimate reporter camera with a crazy fast buffer, WR, SR, and new FF lenses with improved quick SDM.

I like the concept, but I don't see Pentax selling a similar spec'd camera for 3.5K less than Nikon.

06-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #563
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
So if Pentax releases a new camera, does that mean the price of the K5IIs will come down?
06-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
They said they got the specs from their readers? This is probably a rehash of the original French retailer's leak.
I think it's not the case. He very clearly states that the rumoured magnesium alloy body "from information leaked overseas" does not appear here.
06-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I finally caved and got a tablet (iPad4G previous model on deal price) and a Bluetooth keyboard. I really don't like the few times when I MUST touch the screen to complete a task. I have large fingertips - I wonder how small the 'touch-points" would be on a touch screen - and whether I would waste time correcting erroneous choices.

Try using PentaxForums on a tablet and hitting the Page-Forward arrow or latest Unread Post arrow - I'm not a surgeon.
Same here - I had an Olympus OM-D. I could not use the touch screen. Touch points were too small for my fingers and I did waste time having to redo things. So I just stopped using that feature. I also had problems manipulating the physical controls because they were a bit too small and closely spaced for my fingers, and I was making erroneous inputs that way as well. Nice camera, but not for me.
06-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #566
Veteran Member

Since I just bought a K5iis three weeks ago, I find myself in the weird position of hoping that Pentax doesn't introduce a new camera that is really awesome. I might cry if they introduce a full frame camera.
06-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Since I just bought a K5iis three weeks ago, I find myself in the weird position of hoping that Pentax doesn't introduce a new camera that is really awesome. I might cry if they introduce a full frame camera.
How do you think I'd feel... I just bought a D800
06-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #568
Veteran Member

Ha! We can cry together then :-)
06-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I finally caved and got a tablet (iPad4G previous model on deal price) and a Bluetooth keyboard. I really don't like the few times when I MUST touch the screen to complete a task. I have large fingertips - I wonder how small the 'touch-points" would be on a touch screen - and whether I would waste time correcting erroneous choices.

Try using PentaxForums on a tablet and hitting the Page-Forward arrow or latest Unread Post arrow - I'm not a surgeon.
Try reading a subscribed Forum without hitting the damned "Unsubscribe" button...impossible. I have to send Adam a note about this...

Last edited by mamethot; 06-12-2013 at 10:59 AM.
06-12-2013, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #570
Veteran Member

Yes, we feel soooo sorry for you getting a D800
/sarcasm