Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #586
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep. I couldn't imagine Pentax releasing a camera with almost the exact same specifications as the K30 while looking like a warmed over K-r/K10 and giving us ANOTHER version without weather dealing and with almost the same name.

I was wrong. Dead wrong.

wow.

My head is exploding.

Can someone tell me something logical here?

I guess some of the logic is that this is the first step towards establishing a range of Pentax cameras starting with a solid model offering a quality sensor, enthusiast controls (two dials) and a pentaprism for 500 bucks. That is going to be noticed. The range - a carefully graded family, not one-offs - also accentuates WR as a desirable feature, if you need it, because not all models have it. A range of cams obliges retailers to take Pentax more seriously, perhaps, and offers more opportunities for generic marketing and deals. Pentax cannot any longer be discounted as a rather eccentric brand which is all over the shop. Instead, they are staking a measured claim to be a serious third player with a credible product range and very much in contention in the DSLR arena. So I guess there are positive ways to look at this news. It's the first step in what is sure to be a long, long game - Ricoh are players of the long game, I believe. So first, they want to lay out some solid foundations. The full building comes much later.

Last edited by mecrox; 06-12-2013 at 03:59 PM.
06-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #587
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
When are the specs going to be announced?

Digital SLR Cameras - DSLR Cameras - PENTAX Cameras
06-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #588
Veteran Member

I see there's no mention, anywhere that I can find, of the construction of either camera. It was initially rumoured to have a Mag' Alloy body but none of the official spec's indicate what they are made of.
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #589
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I see there's no mention, anywhere that I can find, of the construction of either camera. It was initially rumoured to have a Mag' Alloy body but none of the official spec's indicate what they are made of.
It'd be great if it had a mag' alloy body, but my guess is probably polycarbonate.

EDIT:
PHYSICAL SPECS
Body dimensions (W x H x D): 5.1” x 3.8” x 2.8”
Body weight
Without battery or removable memory: 20.8 oz
Loaded and ready: 22.9 oz (Li-Ion)
Primary construction material(s): Reinforced polycarbonate over stainless steel chassis
Operating temperature: 14-104°F (-10 to 40°C)
Ruggedized features: Fully weather sealed throughout body, coldproof

06-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #590
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I guess some of the logic is that this is the first step towards establishing a range of Pentax cameras starting with a solid model offering a quality sensor, enthusiast controls (two dials) and a pentaprism for 500 bucks. That is going to be noticed. The range also accentuates WR as a desirable feature, if you need it, because not all models have it. A range of cams obliges retailers to take Pentax more seriously, perhaps, and offers more opportunities for generic marketing and deals. Pentax cannot any longer be discounted as a rather eccentric brand which is all over the shop. Instead, they are staking a measured claim to be a serious third player with a credible product range and very much in contention in the DSLR arena. So I guess there are positive ways to look at this news. It's the first step in what is sure to be a long, long game - Ricoh are players of the long game, I believe. So first, they want to lay out some solid foundations. The full building comes much later.
I agree with this. It seems like Ricoh wants to get some order into the product line, by giving the cameras a somewhat coherent name. I am just wondering, why they didnt call the K-30 straight K-50.
06-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #591
Pentaxian

I'll try!

Pentax wanted to offer a low-end, unsealed body with mass market appeal. So they designed a basic conservative body to fill that niche.

Now, in order to keep logistics expenses down, they applied that exact body style -- using the same molds and largely also the same parts from the parts bin (except for the body piece with the pad-printed model number) -- to the next model up, adding in weather-sealing where necessary.

So they have something now that's basically just as good as the K-30, but by sharing components with the K-500, they keep production costs under control.

The K-30 is collateral damage.
06-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess some of the logic is that this is the first step towards establishing a range of Pentax cameras starting with a solid model offering a quality sensor, enthusiast controls (two dials) and a pentaprism for 500 bucks. That is going to be noticed. The range - a carefully graded family, not one-offs - also accentuates WR as a desirable feature, if you need it, because not all models have it. A range of cams obliges retailers to take Pentax more seriously, perhaps, and offers more opportunities for generic marketing and deals. Pentax cannot any longer be discounted as a rather eccentric brand which is all over the shop. Instead, they are staking a measured claim to be a serious third player with a credible product range and very much in contention in the DSLR arena. So I guess there are positive ways to look at this news. It's the first step in what is sure to be a long, long game - Ricoh are players of the long game, I believe. So first, they want to lay out some solid foundations. The full building comes much later.
Hmmm....

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I'll try!

Pentax wanted to offer a low-end, unsealed body with mass market appeal. So they designed a basic conservative body to fill that niche.

Now, in order to keep logistics expenses down, they applied that exact body style -- using the same molds and largely also the same parts from the parts bin (except for the body piece with the pad-printed model number) -- to the next model up, adding in weather-sealing where necessary.

So they have something now that's basically just as good as the K-30, but by sharing components with the K-500, they keep production costs under control.

The K-30 is collateral damage.
Hmmm...+1

Ok. The best I can do here is listen, as I can. Ugh.

06-12-2013, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is the first step towards establishing a range of Pentax cameras starting with a solid model offering a quality sensor, enthusiast controls (two dials) and a pentaprism for 500 bucks. That is going to be noticed. The range - a carefully graded family, not one-offs - also accentuates WR as a desirable feature, if you need it, because not all models have it. A range of cams obliges retailers to take Pentax more seriously, perhaps, and offers more opportunities for generic marketing and deals. Pentax cannot any longer be discounted as a rather eccentric brand which is all over the shop. Instead, they are staking a measured claim to be a serious third player with a credible product range
For enthusiasts and those looking for something revolutionary this announcement is underwhelming.

But looking at the big picture I think it is spot on. Many on this forum have been saying since the Ricoh purchase that a lot of bridges needed rebuilt, a lot of infrastructure needed rebuilt, a lot of relationships needed rebuilt. This is a tremendous step in the right direction. You may not like the products, you may think this boring but from a retailer's viewpoint it is perfect. k-500, k-50, k-5. Three SKU range, good, better, best, classic retail, easy to explain to consumers, easy to market. Low end camera that can be run on offer and pull in customers who are then sold on the higher level models. Clearly definable differences between models and price points.

Add in the WR kit lenses and I am impressed. See a problem, define a problem, execute something to fix the problem. I'm not happy it took this long but I am overjoyed to see solid positive steps in the right direction. Now if we see a good impressive ad campaign to support this I'll be really really impressed.
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #594
Veteran Member

Two things that would have made me eagerly upgrade to this k50 from k10d: a swivel screen and/or battery grip. Some of us just have too big hands for the K30 and K50 models!
However, Pentax should be applauded for the 100% picture coverage and seals on this mid-market camera.

About the colors - love the the Olive body with either a black or brown grip (not just for women or girls!).
06-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eljamoquio Quote
please, please, please, please make the k-500 have the same sensor. It would shock my system too much to have pentax release a camera with a different sensor.
Whew. I was worried there for a second.
06-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #596
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
06-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax announcement on or around Thursday, June 13th.
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
I haven't seen any nibbles on this particular claim. Have most people missed it, or is it being selectively ignored?

Curious as to whether it holds any water, or just another sh*t-stir!
Did you eventually make up your mind?
06-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #598
Pentaxian

Did you eventually make up your mind?
You know, my mind is just wandering off... Any new dates to disclose to us? Because I tend to believe you
06-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #599
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
You know, my mind is just wandering off... Any new dates to disclose to us? Because I tend to believe you
Not yet. The masses are not prepared for it.

More seriously, a specific announcement date is not selected and decided upon that much in advance.
06-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #600
Pentaxian

Not yet. The masses are not prepared for it.

More seriously, a specific announcement date is not selected and decided upon that much in advance.
Right but any other info other than a very specific date would be welcome too