Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
For enthusiasts and those looking for something revolutionary this announcement is underwhelming.

But looking at the big picture I think it is spot on. Many on this forum have been saying since the Ricoh purchase that a lot of bridges needed rebuilt, a lot of infrastructure needed rebuilt, a lot of relationships needed rebuilt. This is a tremendous step in the right direction. You may not like the products, you may think this boring but from a retailer's viewpoint it is perfect. k-500, k-50, k-5. Three SKU range, good, better, best, classic retail, easy to explain to consumers, easy to market. Low end camera that can be run on offer and pull in customers who are then sold on the higher level models. Clearly definable differences between models and price points.

Add in the WR kit lenses and I am impressed. See a problem, define a problem, execute something to fix the problem. I'm not happy it took this long but I am overjoyed to see solid positive steps in the right direction. Now if we see a good impressive ad campaign to support this I'll be really really impressed.
Definitely agree on all points. Pentax has a coherent lineup again, and this time with coherent naming. I love that they continue to focus on the fundamentals of a good camera--ergonomics, weather sealing, dual dials, 100% pentaprism, etc. That said, I am in the camp that would like to see movement towards wifi, gps, etc., and I hope those types of options are in the works. Those are features that sell these days, and while I personally wouldn't use them all, they are the type of thing that can just be disabled in the menu if desired.

06-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #602
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curious Does K-50 have COMPOSITION ADJUST? Thanks
06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #603
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
According to some of the initial reviews I've read, it does.
06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #604
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
Maybe.

And you can have it in any of 120 custom color configurations.

Woo.

Hoo.

06-13-2013, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #605
Veteran Member

sanity, at last!

wow, you gotta be kidding: that level of spec (especially viewfinder and the legendary sensor), _and_ two control wheels, in an entry level? so you can effectively have the top of the range, except build and weather sealing, for a price at release of 600bucks? accompanied by a facelifted (or dropped?) k-30 (remember, k-30, the camera nobody can find anything wrong with?) and we're bitching?

- the sensor is for most intents and purposes flawless
- the ergonomics are excellent
- the viewfinder is class (aps-c, not just entry level!) leading

so pentax has just made a statement: the sensor of 2 (or is it 3?) years ago is still outstandingly good, the ergonomics tested and proven can be trickled down all the way to the bottom of the range, improvements we can make (wait for new top of the range and keep quiet). the days of megapixels wars and bullshit-features wars are coming to an end. This is the first time since digital photography took off, when a manufacturer has the balls to say "stop looking at the next upgrade, suit your budget and go out and shoot, NOW", or, in other words, the technology is now mature. This will be known in the photo industry as the "pentax no-bullshit statement". (hopefully it won't be known as "pentax' famous last stand")

Pentax has had the balls to provide a full lineup of perfectly capable, no compromises cameras, at virtually all price points (except the very top), this is "all you really need, right here and now, for whichever price you can afford". By sacrificing marketing bullshit. If there's any sanity left on this planet, they won't be able to keep up with pumping them out of the factory.

now all they have to do is supply this new mature line up in this new "nonconsumerist" photography market with reasonably priced lenses, interesting lenses, etc.

oh, wait, i dreamed myself into believing the market is mature too. well, a man can hope.
06-13-2013, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #606
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
so pentax has just made a statement: the sensor of 2 (or is it 3?) years ago is still outstandingly good, the ergonomics tested and proven can be trickled down all the way to the bottom of the range, improvements we can make (wait for new top of the range and keep quiet). the days of megapixels wars and bullshit-features wars are coming to an end.
the Sony 16mp sensor came out in 2010. Canon has been using the same 18mp sensor since 2009, and it isn't nearly as good as the Sony.
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #607
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would still like to see what is next for sensors in Pentax cameras.

06-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #608
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I would still like to see what is next for sensors in Pentax cameras.
I'm guessing it'll be the 20mp APS-C sensor that's already being used in Sony's SLT series of DSLR-class cameras. But maybe Pentax will skip that generation of Sony sensors. What if Pentax linked up with Panasonic and Fujifilm to use the organic CMOS sensor technology being developed by them?

Fujifilm and Panasonic jointly develop an organic CMOS image sensor technology using organic photoelectric conversion layer | Fujifilm Global

Something like this is possible. Nikon's D7100 had the same 16mp Sony sensor as the K-5. But the D7100 has a new sensor from Toshiba. Exciting times, indeed.
06-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #609
Veteran Member

new sensors will come for sure, but that's just background noise (yes, i know some people are convinced they need more megapixels, that's fine, and i'm sure the 24mp sensor or whatever will come): the point is you can get a "perfect" camera, now, at any price point, no compromises (the jury still out regarding the af points visibility, i hope they haven't gone for that bullshit again, but even then..). This is "photography for the masses", no need to tear yourself apart "uggh, but i want two control wheels" "ughh, but i'd like a nice viewfinder" "a good sensor is important, can't change that later like with film cameras", everything photographic is there, and is excellent. It's almost too good to be true, if you think about it. The premium for each "next level" makes sense (wr, respectively build+af+grip+(my favourite) top lcd). Flawless. If the prices are right, this as "you can't go wrong" move.
06-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #610
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
the Sony 16mp sensor came out in 2010. Canon has been using the same 18mp sensor since 2009, and it isn't nearly as good as the Sony.
agreed, nothing wrong with the canon (7d?) sensor, probably i prefer this 16mp sony one, but it's really nitpicking. that (2009/2010) was the point of "sensor maturity" imho, it's not a new discovery, what's new is that nobody (canon included) has had the balls to make this statement so far, and to tell their customers "you can have everything that matters for taking pictures, in whichever body, the "luxuries" are the only things that come extra". This makes it simple for photographers, and possibly bewildering for consumers ("so, wait, i lose weathersealing, and and magnesium-thinggie (what's that?) and it works just as well?" "yes, indistinguishable" "for this price?" "yes" "so where's the catch?" ). At the same time they pulled off the trick of making each model worthwhile for the premium asked, if you can afford it.

edit: sorry, you meant something else (trigger happy and tired ): i don't really agree, the canon sensor is pretty good too iirc, which one is better is not so important (probably the sony), but both are "pretty damn good"

Last edited by nanok; 06-13-2013 at 12:20 PM.
06-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, not much reason to get all worked up here. Yes, I want a new, true K5 sequel, but Ricoh is making it clear that they are putting into place a nice solid base on which to build an SLR line up. For the first time since (I think) the kx, we have a real entry level camera. Obviously we (I) want a new flagship camera, but there is no way that Ricoh is filling out the bottom end of the line up without filling in the top of the line up as well.

The problem that Ricoh faces is that it is a lot easier to fill in the bottom of the line up with existing camera technology, whereas a true competitor for the D7100 or, even the D600 will require improvements in their camera technology in order to match up.with upper end Canon/Nikon cameras. I would take auto focus equal to a 7D or a D90, but hope for better...
06-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #612
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
- the viewfinder is class (aps-c, not just entry level!) leading
The cameras represent a solid offering, no doubt, but this just tells me you haven't looked through the VF of a Canon 7D yet.
06-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #613
Veteran Member

The tag line at the Pentax UK site for the K-50 is " The complete Outdoor DSLR"

The tag line for the K-500 is "Easy to use and high-quality performance"

Seems to me that they are clear that they have a line of cameras again.
06-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #614
Veteran Member

Does the K-50 have a more recessed flash things? You know, for tilt lenses
06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #615
Veteran Member

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.