Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #676
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Probably just aren't looking close enough. Crazy shit happens in the sticks.
Yeah, like the deer trying to eat my roses (fixed that with motion activated sprinklers), the hawks that swoop down on the rabbits and field mice (keeps the pests in check), or the cougar that hides in the trees.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-21-2013 at 10:40 AM.
06-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #677
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Pot meet kettle?
Huh?

06-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #678
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
This is why I have my place on 5 acres on top of a hill and away from the city. Sure, it's a 36 mile commute that takes me 40 minutes on avarage (I drive fast), . . . .
My commute is about 6 feet long.

06-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #679
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Arizona? New Mexico?

06-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #680
mee
Veteran Member

Pot meet kettle?
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Huh?

Do you really not see it?

You said:
Poor souls dying in the gutter and no one seems to care.
Yes, the poor souls in the gutters.... and not a person out to help.. 'no one seems to care' you say.

Yet you turn around in the same post and say:
Me?

I'll continue to live in the country, where the population density is low, and the destitute are far away.
And you really don't see what you did there?
06-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #681
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Arizona? New Mexico?
About a mile North of I-10 in Arizona between Willcox and Benson, off of Texas Summit. I was under an oversize a couple weeks ago, and passed through Arizona on the weekend, and they only allow OD movement from 3AM until noon Saturday and Sunday. I ditched the trailer and load at the TA in Willcox and bobtailed into the desert to take some pictures. I started up this road and when it looked like I probably shouldn't proceed further with a big truck (I didn't want to find myself calling my dispatcher and ask for them to send a tow truck out to get me unstuck when I should nave known better!) I turned it around and got out to hike around a bit. It started out paved, then gravel, then simply two ruts over the rocks and sand.

Here is the road:

One of the shots I snagged:

06-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #682
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

And you really don't see what you did there?
Guess not. There are no gutters where my home is. No sidewalks. No poor, tormented souls with no one to care about, or ignore.

Nope.

When I am home I am too far from the city to be useful anyway. And I avoid those places. Way too much risk. Not my kinda place.

Sorry.

06-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #683
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That area of AZ is beautiful.
06-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #684
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That area of AZ is beautiful.
Indeed. The rock formations are cool, the soft, rounded edges, and the colossal size. There is another place like that in Montana, East of Butte, along I-90 on the East side of Homestake pass. One of these days when I pass through there (I get through there 3 or 4 times a month, sometimes more), I need to take the time to get out and hike around there too.

Aw, geeze, we got off topic!

So has anyone found a "custom" color combination on the K50 that strikes their fancy?

This is, well, different:

Something for everyone I guess.
06-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #685
mee
Veteran Member

Guess not. There are no gutters where my home is. No sidewalks. No poor, tormented souls with no one to care about, or ignore.

Nope.

When I am home I am too far from the city to be useful anyway. And I avoid those places. Way too much risk. Not my kinda place.

Sorry.

Exactly.

You state no one seems to care for the destitute (as if you care)..

Yet you state that you choose a life that 'absolves' you of not caring for the destitute.

It is a case of pot, meet kettle.

Anyways.. I thought it interesting something so hypocritical was stated so matter of factly.
06-21-2013, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #686
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Yet you state that you choose a life that 'absolves' you of not caring for the destitute.
If you wish to infer that I said so, go ahead.

The thing is, as I have made choices that have led me to where I am in this world, so have those who are in the inner city, in such dire straights. I didn't compel them to make those choices, nor do I possess the power to cause them to lift themselves from their lot.

They chose it, and they can chose to escape it.

Anyways.. I thought it interesting something so hypocritical was stated so matter of factly.
Hypocritical?

If you insist.

Matter of fact. Absolutely.

What would you have me do? Take time from my life and become the savior of these people? A priest I am not. A social worker I will never be. I will also never be a philanthropist. Altruism has never been a passion for me either. I am a retired mechanic who now works driving a truck, moving commodities, mostly for the aerospace industry. I do so by my own choice, not by the choice of others.

And I do so because I like what I do. If I did not like it, I would make whatever changes needed to pursue what I wish.

Any one of those people could have a life like mine, or even better be a wealthy titan of industry, a celebrity or a politician.

But they chose their walk in this world, and it is neither my or your place to change that for them. Only they can make that change.

If they wish to.

It is by the same freedom of choice that I choose to not run right out and buy this new K50 that Pentax is releasing. I think I will choose to hold out for the next iteration of the higher end DSLR, the one that should replace the K5IIs.
06-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #687
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So has anyone found a "custom" color combination on the K50 that strikes their fancy?
Not decided yet. I don't need the K-50, but I'm tempted, very tempted to order one in the colours of my choice - something tasteful, of course! (Quite fancy sand... or green and brown.... )

If you were buying one, which colours would you choose?
06-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #688
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Not decided yet. I don't need the K-50, but I'm tempted, very tempted to order one in the colours of my choice - something tasteful, of course! (Quite fancy sand... or green and brown.... )

If you were buying one, which colours would you choose?
Red. I have a thing for red. Or maybe blue. But red is right.
06-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #689
Pentaxian

Black body with a black grip. And black buttons, labelled in black, with tiny black lights telling you when you pressed one. And a B&B LCD.
06-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #690
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Black body with a black grip. And black buttons, labelled in black, with tiny black lights telling you when you pressed one. And a B&B LCD.