Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The apparent forces that seem to be driving toward larger sensors in the DSLR arena are likely at play in the smaller sizes, too. I don't think any of us want to see Pentax spending good money to chase yesterday's product.
The problem is that there is no such force in the DSLR arena. In 2012 all potential "big" FF sellers where either introduced or recently introduced; ie at their peak selling moment. Still, the FF share stood virtually still. Expect a following decline.
Better sensors makes smaller sensor more viable in the market.

06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The problem is that there is no such force in the DSLR arena. In 2012 all potential "big" FF sellers where either introduced or recently introduced; ie at their peak selling moment. Still, the FF share stood virtually still. Expect a following decline.
Do you think the D600 and 6D were a big waste of time, money and focus for Nikon and Canon? If so, I don't know what to make of the countless "We want a FF Pentax and we want it now" posts on this forum.
06-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #138

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Jokes aside: I'd love new Q body to be super-serious compact. Make it a Nikon D4 equivalent in small sensor size:

• First, much better battery. 450-500 shots per charge a minimum.
• battery grip option
• No shutter lag please.
• 12MP, 12-bit RAW.
• 10-12 fps, large buffer.
• EVF option (it can be external).
• superior LCD anti-glare coating.
• magnesium alloy body

So far the Q was an experiment. Now make it into a serious system. Sell it along with Q10, and start seriously building a lineup. At any time, there should be 2-3 Q cameras available, same as for the K-mount.
Exactly correct, esp. the EVF option.

K mount mirrorless with integrated EVF, what the K-01 should have been.

Consider weather proofing as well.
06-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Do you think the D600 and 6D were a big waste of time, money and focus for Nikon and Canon? .
No.
I think it helped to make the FF market stay put and not decline.

06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #140
Veteran Member

No.
I think it helped to make the FF market stay put and not decline.
So how much market share is Pentax losing by not being the third 'serious' producer of FF cameras?
06-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/222437-new-lens-q-maybe.html
06-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #142
Veteran Member

I had forgot about that one, it would be a nice range with good speed for sure.

06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I had forgot about that one, it would be a nice range with good speed for sure.
Me too!! Hope price is reasonable enough.
06-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #144
Banned

Nope, that lens is for the MX-1 type of camera.
It's a 4x retractable zoom of bright aperture and is macro capable. That one lens would massacre sales of 80% of Q lenses.
06-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #145
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
Exactly correct, esp. the EVF option.

K mount mirrorless with integrated EVF, what the K-01 should have been.

Consider weather proofing as well.
Well, Q lenses so far aren't weatherproof. So the camera + lenses combo wouldn't be weatherproof either.
Also, I'd rather have an external EVF – you can change it and use whatever is best tech at the moment; integrated EVFs are impossible to remove. And without an integrated EVF, a camera can be smaller and still work well.
06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's price, not sensor size.

I have argued on other threads that price is the Pentax FF problem as the # of people who will buy a $2,000 body and $4,000 system is very, very small compared to those who will buy a $500 system.

Better larger sensors at the same price as the smaller sensors is what is killing smaller sensors. Smartphones are moving to larger sensors and killing the P&S market. To survive as a standalone camera, the design will require:

1) Larger sensor that a smartphone cannot cram in; the consumer is buying pure IQ increases for special events, functions, trip of a lifetime, etc.

2) Dedicated functionality, like ruggedness, WR, underwater, like GoPro with video

3) Highly specialized applications, like what Ricoh has with their industrial solutions products

There may be room for a P&S small sensor in a system camera, but not at $400, closer to the traditional $250 price point being rapidly vacated by P&S models because smartphones ate that turf in 2 years. And its going to be a toy system, not really in the mirrorless camp.

Is this really what Pentax intended with the Q? I think not. Go back to their original statements about it and I think they genuinely thought that Nikon, Sony, Canon, and Fuji would not go to an intermediate sensor size like 1" for fear of cannibalizing DSLR sales. I think the Pentax guys bet it all on the idea that people would be fine paying near low-end DSLR prices for a P&S sensor in a mini-system camera. When Nikon debuted the CX-series and Sony did the RX100 I bet there was a collective gasp at Pentax.
06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I think the Pentax guys bet it all on the idea that people would be fine paying near low-end DSLR prices for a P&S sensor in a mini-system camera.
And it seems they were right.
Do you think Pentax would have released the Q10 and now the Q7 if the Q line didn't bring them any money ?

Look at the k-01, it failed and now it's dead. The Q system is alive.
06-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Look at it this way... how much more does it cost to build the Q than a P&S? Not much, really - one extra (dis) connection between the lens and the body. Heck, my Q came with a prime, so the lens itself should've been cheaper. The body is nice but so was my SD980's body. If a $300 P&S makes a profit, it's pretty likely that a $310 Q makes a profit, and it's pretty gosh-durn-sure that the extras for the Q (lenses, etc) make money.
06-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #149

i still love my PQ and it is the funniest camera I'v ever had
06-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #150

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I wouldn't switch my Q for a Nikon 1, if you rather grab a Nikon 1 then go get it. The Q isn't about killing DSLRs for professional use, it's about fun and it is!
you are right, sensor size won't bother me