Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #196
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Which "large chain camera store" would that be? Last I was in Japan, about a month back, it was hard to actually /not/ stumble over the Pentax Q stand when walking into Labi, Yodobashi, Bic, ....., and with those 3 being almost "setting the tone" over there, I'd imagine that other camera shops would follow suit (although, admittedly, I did not visit all the camera shops in Japan - that'd be a challenge....)
Like real Aristophanes, Aristophanes from the PF performs apparently serious but hyperbolised Qfobia dramas on the PF stage for Quite a while.
He's actually Quite good, and we all Qnow that somewhere deep in the bottom of his heart he admires the Q.

06-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Like real Aristophanes, Aristophanes from the PF performs apparently serious but hyperbolised Qfobia dramas on the PF stage for Quite a while.
He's actually Quite good, and we all Qnow that somewhere deep in the bottom of his heart he admires the Q.
Are you saying that Aristophanes is part of the continuum?
06-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
The Q7 does look really nice. I know several people that have the original Q and they all love the camera. If there is a new high-end normal kit zoom like the patent from a few months ago it will be really nice. It seems like it is just missing built-in wifi. If it had built-in wifi I would finally stop using my smartphone to take photos that I want to post on Facebook. Without built-in wifi I just don't see myself buying the camera. Maybe next year when the Q5 is released.
Well it does have a hard-coded setup routine for Eye-Fi cards. Pentax worked very closely with Eye-Fi engineers so that as soon as an Eye-Fi card is inserted the connection to nearby Wi-Fi devices (your network, your tablet, your laptop, your phone) happens nearly automatically.
06-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
why do they keep doing this million color thing? That's a different customer who probably doesn't want to change a lens.
To increase the installed base of camera bodies so 3rd Party makers will release in K-mount.

06-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #200
Veteran Member

I'm also not sure why anyone is arguing against 'different colors'.

If it was taking away from other resources, I'd understand, but it really doesn't take that much effort to order plastic in a different color. It's a logistics thing.

Now, redesigning the body from the K-5 to the K-30 took resources. Redesigning it again from the K-30 to the K-50 took resources.
06-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just read somewhere that Pentax UK have said the muti-colour options have increased sales exponentially, or some such similar incredible number like double or triple. So it's working for them.
06-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

If it was taking away from other resources, I'd understand, but it really doesn't take that much effort to order plastic in a different color. It's a logistics thing.

Now, redesigning the body from the K-5 to the K-30 took resources. Redesigning it again from the K-30 to the K-50 took resources.
Indeed. And it works, otherwise Pentax would've stopped doing it.

Redesigning those bodies also made sense; the K-30 needed a cheaper body, and the K-50, I guess a "safer" design?

anthony mazzeri - wow. Double or triple, that's amazing.
06-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wish I could find where I read it so I can quote the exact percentage. I'll keep looking. All I can really recall is it was significant enough to put a final end to any argument as to why they're continuing with it.

06-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I just read somewhere that Pentax UK have said the muti-colour options have increased sales exponentially, or some such similar incredible number like double or triple. So it's working for them.
Interesting, the UK Pentax dealer where I bought my MX-1 a couple of months ago said that his sales of Pentax had about doubled over the past couple of years. I asked why he thought that was and he said that in his view, word about the quality of the cameras was finally getting around, particularly the weather sealing on the DSLRs which you just don't get to this quality elsewhere for the cost of a Pentax (well under 1000 pounds).
06-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #205
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's good to hear that Pentax sales seem to be improving in various places. The colours may seem to be frivolous, but I'm certain they attract customers. Customers go into the big electronics stores in Japan and see rows of DSLRs from competing manufacturers that all look the same until you get close up. Compared to that, a display of 18 coloured K-30 bodies (just models) is so much more eye-catching. Of course, the price and features are great as well. I bet that most people go home with a stock colour to avoid the two-week wait for an order colour, but the colours served their purpose of pulling in the customer. They do the same thing with the Q10 - some stores had all 100+ colours on display!

And if Aristophanes was talking about Japanese stores (actually, I don't think he/she was) not having stock of Pentax stuff, it is completely wrong. Pentax has had an equal presence to any other brand in the big stores. There are some minor stores that don't stock Pentax, but they are mostly in the country. It may be right that Pentax have sold fewer MILCs than other brands, but there are no comprehensive sales figures to prove one way or the other. BCN Ranking only covers 40% of retailers, apparently. Finally, the Japanese don't use Flickr. Most people have never heard of it, so that's no indication.
06-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Perhaps it's a simple as: consumer is attracted to the Pentax display owing to the bright colors and stays there to buy based on the capabilities and price.
06-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #207
Banned

I couldn't agree more. Addition of colours is best thing that happened to the world of photography since SLR was invented.
It is all about understanding of today's users behaviour, and enhancing on them. It's also about democratising photography as a creative act, now available to everyone.

One (almost insignificant by appearance) thing that has helped hugely promote iPods for Apple was (in addition to colour in iPod Mini and Nano range) custom laser engraving. It's customisation, it's about a device being uniquely yours. Given as a gift, received as a gift. As a memory. Now with cameras, they a bit harder to engrave (perhaps MX-1 could be engraved on top plate?), but colour combinations produce almost exactly the same effect as the engraving.

A camera like that becomes yours even more so.
06-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #208
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Given as a gift, received as a gift
That is a specific marketing objective. Colors stimulate purchase of a second body in a household and also gift giving - this per Pentax USA directly. Colors also allow such marketing as selling in college towns in school-colors combinations, and the coming "Colors of Pentax" affiliation with the New York Gay Pride Parade.

Its all about increasing the installed base of cameras, particularly K-mount cameras.
06-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #209
Banned

Now speaking of customisation, I've just sent an email to Pentax to consider custom laser engraving for the MX-1, on top plate.
I think it would be fantastic; even if one needs to wait a few weeks for it.
I'd love to have one of such MX-1s ...
If you think that could be good thing to make Pentax even more unique, send them an email too. Leica does it for ages, why not Pentax?
06-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #210
Pentaxian

I agree, but I can guess that those who complain about it are afraid that Pentax doesn't look like a "serious" camera maker by offering colour choices. No doubt Ferrari isn't a "serious" car maker, because it doesn't limit its colour range to red (although it might possibly get away with it, if it did - every rule apparently has an exception).

Me, I think a "serious" camera has a tough, chrome-plated brass or steel body, with real dead cow for decoration ("decoration"? Do I mean a range of colours?) and grip. A "non-serious" camera would have snakeskin on the body.