Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Why would it need to be priced that low? The MX-1 and all other high end P&S cameras cost much more than $250.
Sure, but you can get the Panasonic for 299 now. I think this segment is dying. The Q was never popular, here, until they dropped the prices. It's a fun little toy, but it is a toy, and it needs to be priced like one. Perhaps I am not lulled in by the small size, because it really isn't much smaller than my NEX cameras, but I do still enjoy it. I just can't devote too many resources to the Q, and I expect I am not alone. I did express this all as opinion, however.

06-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I didn't expect an APS-C Pentax mirrorless like the NEX-3N to have the same Q lens mount and I imagine there will be some vignetting in the corners with a 1/1.7" sensor in the Q 7 with current Q lenses.

I think a Pentax version of the Sony RX100 with much larger 1" sensor would be in more demand than the new Q 7 IMHO.
Yes, the MX-1 should have had a 2/3 or 1" sensor.
06-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I wouldn't switch my Q for a Nikon 1, if you rather grab a Nikon 1 then go get it. The Q isn't about killing DSLRs for professional use, it's about fun and it is!
And the Nikon 1 is not about killing DSLR's.

I am sure the Q is fun. It's just that competition has as much "fun" for the same $$$ and far superior IQ.

The competition did not gamble putting a P&S sensor in a system camera.

I can get a Sony RX100 (on sale $50 off) with a 3.3x bigger sensor, faster lens (on the bigger sensor) and a zoom (no dirty sensor risk) for $500, only $50 more than the starting price for the Q at B&H.

A modest upgrade to the Q's sensor will not save it. Only a massive price drop to sub-$250 for a kit system will, or a much larger sensor.

Right now the Q and Q10 are priced in the wrong class.
06-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course if the "Q7" comes out at $700 than I will stick with the Q.

06-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #80
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I recall nothing of the sort.

At most the Q had 5.8% of the Japanese mirrorless market share and that having been around almost a year longer than other systems which trounced it in sales.

That is measly. All other brands combined beat Pentax down into last place mirrorless systems cameras.
This year Hasselblad will be on the last spot down that saleslist!
06-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
And the Nikon 1 is not about killing DSLR's.

I am sure the Q is fun. It's just that competition has as much "fun" for the same $$$ and far superior IQ.

The competition did not gamble putting a P&S sensor in a system camera.

I can get a Sony RX100 (on sale $50 off) with a 3.3x bigger sensor, faster lens (on the bigger sensor) and a zoom (no dirty sensor risk) for $500, only $50 more than the starting price for the Q at B&H.

A modest upgrade to the Q's sensor will not save it. Only a massive price drop to sub-$250 for a kit system will, or a much larger sensor.

Right now the Q and Q10 are priced in the wrong class.
I don't disagree. In fact Pentax being so committed to the Q (as they say they are) while apparently being quite unable to commit to anything more substantial in the mirrorless line is deeply worrying. Still, that's just me. The question is: how does the Q sell worldwide, not just in a single territory? I've no idea but if the Q sells well enough worldwide to secure a good return, what's the problem? A lot of folks clearly get huge fun out of it. The Q may end up retired in a couple of years but by then it will have had a run of 4-5 years, probably pretty good considering the relentless turnover of the electronics industry. Of course, if Pentax haven't used that time to prepare something a little more substantial, well there maybe trouble in store ...

Last edited by mecrox; 06-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.
06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Several photographer friends have the original Q and they are getting excellent image quality form it and they claim it is a fun camera. I am assuming with the slightyly larger sensor that the image quality will be even better. Still has to compete against the advance P&S cameras like the Canon G-series types of cameras. It appears that this type of camera just might start to go with even larger sensors if rumors are right. So it will be interesting to see how the Q sells. I do wish it will have built-in wfi.

Atleast we are starting to see new cameras out of Pentax since being purchase by Ricoh.

Dave

06-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #83
Banned

Not a single mirrorless camera out there was designed as the Q — to be such fun and so enjoyable to use. Therefore I think a more serious emphasis on the Q would really benefit Pentax. Make one body available for 200-300, one for 300-400, and one for 400-500 and people have a choice within the same system. Something like Nikon with J1 and V1, etc.

Two bodies at least (preferably three), at different specs and prices (one should be pro/semi-pro), available at the same time, are necessary for a small system to grow (up). Otherwise to people it won't make sense — if only one body is officially available and sold at any time, Pentax could make more excellent MX-1 and GR types of cameras instead.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Not a single mirrorless camera out there was designed as the Q — to be such fun and so enjoyable to use. Therefore I think a more serious emphasis on the Q would really benefit Pentax. Make one body available for 200-300, one for 300-400, and one for 400-500 and people have a choice within the same system. Something like Nikon with J1 and V1, etc. Two bodies at least, at different specs and prices (one should be semi-pro), available at the same time, are necessary for a small system to grow up.
The Q is available in the UK body only for £79 with an unboxed 5-15mm zoom for £169, or body and 8.5 mm prime for £169 which seems very good value
06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #85
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Several photographer friends have the original Q and they are getting excellent image quality form it and they claim it is a fun camera. I am assuming with the slightyly larger sensor that the image quality will be even better.
Dave
The image quality may be slightly better. But the whole charm of the Q system are nut-sized lenses. Once you see the 01 prime, that is some 45 grams, you get the Q.

But even a 1" sensor would demand much larger lenses for start — see the V1/J1 lenses. Thanks, but no thanks.
06-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #86
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
The Q is available in the UK body only for £79 with an unboxed 5-15mm zoom for £169, or body and 8.5 mm prime for £169 which seems very good value
I think that's fantastic price!
06-10-2013, 02:42 PM - 9 Likes   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I call Troll on Aristophanese right here, right now.

Q is fun - I took mine to my 40th High School Reunion last weekend and I basically couldn't keep my hands on it - everyone else wanted to try it. There's more to life and photography than pixel-level Image Quality, and not every decision is purely rational. I couldn't care less what some Nikon x1 camera has inside, its boring and plastic and has no soul. I couldn't care less whether I can pocket some skinny shiny hipster tile without a lens attached, I still have to wear a man-purse for the lenses.

I'm really getting tired of being "nudged" to make "better" economic decisions and life choices by all the Behavioral Economists.

I like my K-01, too.

So there.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-12-2013 at 06:51 AM.
06-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The image quality may be slightly better. But the whole charm of the Q system are nut-sized lenses. Once you see the 01 prime, that is some 45 grams, you get the Q.

But even a 1" sensor would demand much larger lenses for start — see the V1/J1 lenses. Thanks, but no thanks.
The 1 series 18.5mm is their normal lens, and it's 71g. It's not big at all. Their kit zoom is also quite tiny and collapses. At that point it is smaller than the 02 lens. I am not disparaging the Q, but at 1" the lenses don't have to be large. I am not selling my wife's Q, for sure. If I bought her a camera that cost more than $200 she would treat it like fine crystal and never use it. She uses and enjoys the Q. I'd happily upgrade her to the Q7, someday, if or when the price drops to ~$250 w/ the 01 prime.
06-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #89
Veteran Member

We are Pentaxians at Heart. I believe the Q is a really fun camera and a photographers camera. Having a Q is always a challenge to shoot photo's and that's we Q owners feel and where the fun begins. For other Pentaxian's whos wants something like a RX100 camera with a superb image quality then there's Ricoh GRV. but if still not good enough then we have to wait what Pentax-Ricoh wil have to offer. Current Pentaxians are still waiting FF or a MFT ILC might be a good one for others (See MFT lens patent). BUt now a Q with a larger sensor is a big welcome to the Q line up. I just wish it was put in the Original Q since i really like how it feels and look. Lastly, I do hope Pentax will have a MACRO lens and limited lenses so the Fun in Photography will be complete.
06-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #90
Veteran Member

I'm a recent Q owner, and I'm having a blast with it.

I'm happy that there is a newer, better Q body that will provide a logical upgrade once this Q gets destroyed, lost/stolen, or otherwise becomes incapable of delivering what I want it to. I will have lenses and accessories for it, and I will be familiar with its operations.

Great news overall. That yellow one looks slick.