Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
Site Supporter

I posted this link in another forum. might be worth reading.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/227659-new-o...echnology.html

06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
For the record, the motor industry does exactly the same thing (as someone mentioned earlier). Lotus have used three or four different engines in it's Elise sports car in the last decade, all of which can also be found in a range of much more dull and practical cars. A car is more than just an engine, just as a camera is more than just a sensor.
06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
You're overlooking one of Pentax's historic marketing angles since they went all-digital: that for a given camera, they always included more features and a better build than the competition, thus cementing their rep for solid value for enthusiasts. They were able to keep the models apart primarily using sensor specs. If the sensor spec stuff has gone (or at least is going) and all that is left to differentiate between models is features, then Pentax's job becomes much harder. Or, to put it another way, it is harder for their to remain different from their competitors who riff their customers up and down the keyboard using the feature game. But then, we don't know what Pentax want. For all we know, they may want to become more like their competitors.

We may be looking at a bit of an end-game for APS-C, at least until there is a significant leap in sensor performance. For APS-C DSLRs, 24 mp of high-quality, noise-free pixels with an imaging pipeline which can handle the data well without buffer-busting is nearly but not quite here, imho. I imagine it will be here during 2014, though. After that, if you want still more it will be FF.
At a time, the less expensive Pentax camera had the better sensor.

Not really an "end-game", but I'd say differentiating same format cameras using the sensor will no longer be possible; at least not until we'll see a breakthrough in the already mature sensor technology.
06-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may have already been mentioned ...

K-50 & K-500 already in PF database ... Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
At a time, the less expensive Pentax camera had the better sensor.

Not really an "end-game", but I'd say differentiating same format cameras using the sensor will no longer be possible; at least not until we'll see a breakthrough in the already mature sensor technology.
Why not? Differentiation is possible just some more creativity is needed. Just look at Fuji and Sigma. Differentiation possible even with the very same boring old Sony 16mp sensor that each and every Pentaxian has. What about a dedicated monochrome camera? That would produce 48mp black and white images.
06-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
16MP is more than good enough on an entry level DSLR. I don't know higher up the range, cause I still think my old k-x suits me just fine . What Pentax really need to do is beat the 100D at it's own game, that is cram in more features than the 100D in a body that's no heavier than that. Being a Pentax, SR, sturdy colorful bodies, mind-boggling array of image processing features and in body AF motor is a must, two dials, stereo microphones, WR and 100% pentaprism would be very nice bonuses, tethering, built in wifi or GPS, and battery grip option would be an even nicer surprise. I really wanted the 100D and what stopped me from buying is that it does not represent a true improvement over the k-x other than the less weight, and of course no K-mount. Here's hoping for a 100D (and to lesser extent, an MFT) killer from Pentax!
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Clavius:
Because the technology, as I said, is mature and there isn't a significant difference between inexpensive and the better sensors. We can see how Nikon was able to first introduce 24MP in the cheaper camera - thus, a new generation sensor is not necessarily expensive.
Pentax should be able to make again some difference, when going to 24MP; but I'm sure the real difference won't be the sensor.

I'm not sure how Fuji and Sigma are relevant, as neither is attempting to use sensors to differentiate between their cameras. Perhaps you want to change the scope of this discussion to something different than "every (Pentax) APS-C DSLR in their line up, from low tier to flagship, has the same sensor"?

Making niche products like a monochrome camera is a different situation, than the entry vs. mid vs. high level cameras we were discussing.