Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #256
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Actually they are not just trying to take on Nikon, they are following the market.
On this graph we can see an increase in sales for sub-$500 (K-500) and sub-$700 (K-50) DSLRs, whereas the $700-$1500 segment is declining.
So, having a consistent offer in these 2 growing segments was indeed a necessity.
Blasphemy!

:sarc: You write as if Pentax makes business decisions!! /

06-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #257
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,242
The problem is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers. And somebody here don't understand that it's really bad.
The feedback and understanding of customer's needs are the main locomotives of sales.

I feel the degradation in development of cameras. I feel the world sink into new era of Middle Ages. It will the epoch of dilettantes, average men and consumers...
The manufacturers brake the real progress....Only money make sense.
06-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #258
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,332
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I am just not sure how much one can innovate the DSLR.

Colors? Lots of colours? Has anyone tried that yet?
There's probably more than one answer to this, but the only potential innovations that seem feasible and applicable to DSLRs only, relate to the viewfinder itself. Having an interchangeable viewfinder system is one, but it would require some work to shift everything but the prism and eyepiece out of the way (although a robust system of electrical contacts would work, but would require duplication in each viewfinder unit). Developing a hybrid viewfinder that combines optical and electronic imaging elements is another.

I notice Samsung has done the inevitable and added Android to one of its NX cameras (yawn). I guess that amounts to a low level form of innovation, and makes tracking of terrorist users easier through PRISM.
06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #259
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's probably more than one answer to this, but the only potential innovations that seem feasible and applicable to DSLRs only, relate to the viewfinder itself. Having an interchangeable viewfinder system is one, but it would require some work to shift everything but the prism and eyepiece out of the way (although a robust system of electrical contacts would work, but would require duplication in each viewfinder unit). Developing a hybrid viewfinder that combines optical and electronic imaging elements is another.

I notice Samsung has done the inevitable and added Android to one of its NX cameras (yawn). I guess that amounts to a low level form of innovation, and makes tracking of terrorist users easier through PRISM.
Hee.... Since Pentax is at the coloring scheme, i wonder why don't they sell "skins" for the leather part? Or perhaps allow the option to send in a suitable model for a "re-skinning" to the color of choice..

That'll be fun!

06-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #260
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,332
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The problem is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers. And somebody here don't understand that it's really bad.
The feedback and understanding of customer's needs are the main locomotives of sales.

I feel the degradation in development of cameras. I feel the world sink into new era of Middle Ages. It will the epoch of dilettantes, average men and consumers...
The manufacturers brake the real progress....Only money make sense.
Come on, ogl, old chap. I reckon you've been reading too much Dostoyevsky lately. This is supposed to be the Era of the Common Man (pardon the sexism - not my expression), and you can't get much commoner than some of our wealthier techno-luminaries.
06-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #261
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
I'm joining this conversation way late, but...

I actually think the k-500 is a great idea. It may very well have the best image quality among actual entry-level cameras. it should definitely have the best viewfinder, and maybe the best controls. it could be the best entry-level on the market.
06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #262
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 456
Having compared the specs of K50 and K500 on Pentax's UK site, I must say that they look to be the identical camera, even weighing the same.

Product Comparison - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

It should be pointed out here that even K-r came with a polycarbonate body shell over a stainless steel frame. Why the K50 costs a little more seems to be owing to the following two factors: (i) colour variety & (ii) WR lens.
06-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #263
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 485
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Having compared the specs of K50 and K500 on Pentax's UK site, I must say that they look to be the identical camera, even weighing the same.

Product Comparison - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

It should be pointed out here that even K-r came with a polycarbonate body shell over a stainless steel frame. Why the K50 costs a little more seems to be owing to the following two factors: (i) colour variety & (ii) WR lens.
WR K-50 body is probably the biggest factor.

06-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #264
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The problem is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers. And somebody here don't understand that it's really bad.
The feedback and understanding of customer's needs are the main locomotives of sales.

I feel the degradation in development of cameras. I feel the world sink into new era of Middle Ages. It will the epoch of dilettantes, average men and consumers...
The manufacturers brake the real progress....Only money make sense.
Lots of assumptions with no basis in reality here. It is simply not true that "there is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." Pentax, like all the other great manufacturers, do carry out market analyses, and like any other manufacturer they are secretive about their findings. Just because Mr Akahane did not invite you over for a cup of tea does not mean that there is "no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." And it is also not true that Pentax cater to the needs of "dilettantes and average men" only; the 645D is there for those who do not want to go with the crowd.
06-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #265
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,242
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Lots of assumptions with no basis in reality here. It is simply not true that "there is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." Pentax, like all the other great manufacturers, do carry out market analyses, and like any other manufacturer they are secretive about their findings. Just because Mr Akahane did not invite you over for a cup of tea does not mean that there is "no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." And it is also not true that Pentax cater to the needs of "dilettantes and average men" only; the 645D is there for those who do not want to go with the crowd.

You think that you are very original? Your joke is very good?
You can't even understand what I mean and tell gibberish about private meetings with tea.

Broaden your mind if you can. Your opinion is the best example of consumer society.
06-13-2013, 11:09 PM - 2 Likes   #266
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
You think that you are very original? Your joke is very good?
You can't even understand what I mean and tell gibberish about private meetings with tea.

Broaden your mind if you can. Your opinion is the best example of consumer society.
Unfounded assumptions seem to be a recurrent theme in your case. I know perfectly well what you mean; it's not as if you are presenting us with the intricacies of quantum physics here. I am sorry to tell you that your hyperbolic elitism is just about as risible as your digs at consumerism. I was actually quite restrained in terms of criticising what you had to say; taking apart what you said is an easy enough task.
06-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #267
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,863
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I notice Samsung has done the inevitable and added Android to one of its NX cameras (yawn). I guess that amounts to a low level form of innovation, and makes tracking of terrorist users easier through PRISM.
But you can play Angry Birds while out birding...
06-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #268
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,748
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Having compared the specs of K50 and K500 on Pentax's UK site, I must say that they look to be the identical camera, even weighing the same.

Product Comparison - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

It should be pointed out here that even K-r came with a polycarbonate body shell over a stainless steel frame. Why the K50 costs a little more seems to be owing to the following two factors: (i) colour variety & (ii) WR lens.
I think the biggest reason is that they use higher margin on K-50 than on K-500. The extra manufacturing cost on K-50 kit is probably much lower than the sales price indicates..

Last edited by Fogel70; 06-14-2013 at 01:32 AM.
06-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #269
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,748
Another difference between K-50 and K-500 is that K-50 will have li-ion battery and charger in the box, and K-500 will have AA batteries and AA adapter
06-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #270
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Another difference between K-50 and K-500 is that K-50 will have li-ion battery and charger in the box, and K-500 will have AA batteries and AA adapter
This is not universally applicable.

That the K500 will be delivered with AA batteries is the case in England, whereas in Germany it will be delivered with rechargable battery.

PENTAX K-500 - Starke Performance, starker Preis - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-55mm, camera, f/3.5-5.6, k-50, k-500, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, q7, slr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-30 Officially Announced! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 245 09-12-2012 08:32 PM
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs OFFICIALLY Announced Adam Pentax K-5 9 09-11-2012 08:43 AM
K-01 Officially Announced - *START HERE* + Interview with Marc Newson Adam Pentax News and Rumors 48 05-11-2012 05:29 PM
Pentax K-5 Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 533 03-06-2012 05:45 AM
Pentax K-r Officially Announced (along with DA L 35mm F2.4 lens) Adam Pentax News and Rumors 21 02-02-2012 11:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top