Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #286
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just borrow the cameras for an hour or so; there are differences beyond what a quick glance at a spec list could reveal. It only takes one single frame with each camera to get started
I dont know where you live, but i dont even know anyone else with a Pentax...i do know of a shop around here that stocks Pentax items, but they certainly wont let you borrow multiple cameras for an hour each. That is one of the disadvantages to Pentax, we have to rely on reviews, specs lists etc because we are limited by how much we can handle the camera.

06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #287
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 3
Was just about to buy a K5ii but now I am thinking the K50 is a cheaper option. Spec is very similar as far as I can see other than the magnesium alloy casing, 7fps vs 6, and 14 bit Raw vs 12 bit. Can anyone suggest other reasons to buy a K5ii over the K50?
06-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #288
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I said " production/not discontinued." and you can find lists of discontinued on the Pentax official websites. As for production, Pentax has said that the Q10 will stay in the lineup on their overview of the Q7 on their websites.
I don't see where they say the Q10 will stay in production. Instead, I found this: "Joining the already successful Q10, the Q7 features an upgraded 1/1.7 inch....".

No camera is going to be listed as discontinued until they sell most if not all of the remaining inventory. That's different than still being in production.
06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #289
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,294
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Better dust removal? I havent heard that...the sensor shakes faster?
Absolutely different systems. Pentax has like Olympus had - ultrasonic dust removal - HIGH efficiency.

K-5II has more functions than K-30/50. I'm lazy to find all differences...Sorry.
K-5IIs is the TOP camera for me. Amazing work. The best camera Pentax ever made.
But to say honest - it's only one diamond in the line of all digitals cameras of Pentax. IMO. Of course

06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #290
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 234
QuoteOriginally posted by Shall Quote
Was just about to buy a K5ii but now I am thinking the K50 is a cheaper option. Spec is very similar as far as I can see other than the magnesium alloy casing, 7fps vs 6, and 14 bit Raw vs 12 bit. Can anyone suggest other reasons to buy a K5ii over the K50?
I had the Kr before upgrading to K5c. A friend bought a K30 at about the same time. The top LCD on the K5's i find really handy. It means i can have the rear LCD permanently off (almost), which saves battery. Not having to look in the viewfinder to see the settings i find very helpful. When it comes to image output, they are very similar.
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,898
QuoteOriginally posted by Shall Quote
Was just about to buy a K5ii but now I am thinking the K50 is a cheaper option. Spec is very similar as far as I can see other than the magnesium alloy casing, 7fps vs 6, and 14 bit Raw vs 12 bit. Can anyone suggest other reasons to buy a K5ii over the K50?
You might want a grip someday...and you might want to attach an external microphone.
06-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #292
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,468
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I dont know where you live, but i dont even know anyone else with a Pentax...i do know of a shop around here that stocks Pentax items, but they certainly wont let you borrow multiple cameras for an hour each. That is one of the disadvantages to Pentax, we have to rely on reviews, specs lists etc because we are limited by how much we can handle the camera.
I live in Bucharest, which is Romania's capital city. I have no issue finding Pentax equipment in stores (not the most expensive stuff, that's usually order-only items), usually I'd go directly to our Pentax distributor; but I reckon in other large Romanian towns that could not be possible.
I'm not suggesting to borrow from stores though, that's what friends are for (too bad it's not possible in your case)

But anyway, the point was that there are differences not necessarily found in specs lists, and best discovered via hands-on experience. Hopefully this will become easier in the future.
06-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #293
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not suggesting to borrow from stores though, that's what friends are for (too bad it's not possible in your case)

But anyway, the point was that there are differences not necessarily found in specs lists, and best discovered via hands-on experience. Hopefully this will become easier in the future.
I suspect that that is the case with lots of people...when 19 of 20 twenty cameras sold are other brands, i think I am hardly alone in being the only one in a group with Pentax

Regarding having hands-on experience, I agree, I hope it does become easier, and Ricoh has indicated that they want to be in more B&M stores. I think the best salesman of a camera is the camera itself, the way it feels, it's size, heft, ergonomics etc. That is hard (impossible?) to judge without playing with the camera.

06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,602
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I dont know where you live, but i dont even know anyone else with a Pentax...i do know of a shop around here that stocks Pentax items, but they certainly wont let you borrow multiple cameras for an hour each. That is one of the disadvantages to Pentax, we have to rely on reviews, specs lists etc because we are limited by how much we can handle the camera.
We're awfully, fortunate to have Creve Couer Camera here is St. Louis, who stock a decent array of Pentax and from time to time run a Co-op ad or Dealer Event. The South County store is the mosr Pentax friendly, including legacy gear. The Olive and Ballas (AKA Soccer-Mom City) the least Pentax friendly.
06-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #295
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I don't see where they say the Q10 will stay in production. Instead, I found this: "Joining the already successful Q10, the Q7 features an upgraded 1/1.7 inch....".

No camera is going to be listed as discontinued until they sell most if not all of the remaining inventory. That's different than still being in production.

Quibble, quibble, quibble. This is getting old. As for your assumptions, don't care. Thanks. Out.
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #296
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,347
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We're awfully, fortunate to have Creve Couer Camera here is St. Louis, who stock a decent array of Pentax and from time to time run a Co-op ad or Dealer Event. The South County store is the mosr Pentax friendly, including legacy gear. The Olive and Ballas (AKA Soccer-Mom City) the least Pentax friendly.
I gotta check out the south county store...I am real close to Olive store so that is the one I frequent. Interesting that you found them the least Pentax friendly. Coming from San Diego, where there was NO pentax presence, I find Creve Couer Camera to be a breath of fresh air.
06-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,602
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I gotta check out the south county store...I am real close to Olive store so that is the one I frequent. Interesting that you found them the least Pentax friendly. Coming from San Diego, where there was NO pentax presence, I find Creve Couer Camera to be a breath of fresh air.
Yes. We are fortunate. I try to buy from them whenever they can get close - say no more than 25% over the web. Plus legacy. In defense of the Creve Couer store (namesake and flagship), the people who live out there generally want Canon or Nikon on the camera, or want to buy whatever is hot at the moment they're in the store. I know plenty of examples personally.
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #298
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sofia
Posts: 28
If IQ and focus accuracy and speed on k-50 and k-5IIs are same I would prefer k-50. Using of AA battery and li-ion battery is very useful
I will keep reading opinions about this cameras. For me is important to have better quality from the camera because i don't want many lenses - 2 or 3 maximum. And i don't like to work on my pictures with photoshop or gimp.
And i want good support for o-gps for astro-photograpy
06-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #299
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,709
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by miroshi Quote
If IQ and focus accuracy and speed on k-50 and k-5IIs are same I would prefer k-50. Using of AA battery and li-ion battery is very useful
I will keep reading opinions about this cameras. For me is important to have better quality from the camera because i don't want many lenses - 2 or 3 maximum. And i don't like to work on my pictures with photoshop or gimp.
The K-5 II has a newer AF system, but we have a comparison between the K-30's and the K-5's AF in our K-30 review.

As for image quality, both have the same sensor, but the K-5 has an edge thanks to its 14-bit raw.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #300
Pentaxian
kyteflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,342
Do we know what the actual release schedule for these are? I'm really interested in the Q7, I like that sensor size for a compact and when paired with these lenses... gotta be wonderful. I'd love to be able to land one before going to see Fleetwood Mac in November (local venues dont allow "professional" gear, but compacts are OK)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-55mm, camera, f/3.5-5.6, k-50, k-500, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, q7, slr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-30 Officially Announced! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 245 09-12-2012 08:32 PM
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs OFFICIALLY Announced Adam Pentax K-5 9 09-11-2012 08:43 AM
K-01 Officially Announced - *START HERE* + Interview with Marc Newson Adam Pentax News and Rumors 48 05-11-2012 05:29 PM
Pentax K-5 Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 533 03-06-2012 05:45 AM
Pentax K-r Officially Announced (along with DA L 35mm F2.4 lens) Adam Pentax News and Rumors 21 02-02-2012 11:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top