Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Do we know what the actual release schedule for these are? I'm really interested in the Q7, I like that sensor size for a compact and when paired with these lenses... gotta be wonderful. I'd love to be able to land one before going to see Fleetwood Mac in November (local venues dont allow "professional" gear, but compacts are OK)
July to September.

06-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
July to September.
Thanks. September for us in Oz no doubt. But, its a temptation to grab one from B&H instead of waiting. Its on my wishlist
06-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Thanks. September for us in Oz no doubt. But, its a temptation to grab one from B&H instead of waiting. Its on my wishlist
They don't have them, they're on Pre-Order at B&H.
06-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #304
Veteran Member

I wish they would make a Q camera without that funny looking dial on the front.

Wow.. really like the "Silver" color..

Last edited by Tesla; 06-15-2013 at 06:48 PM.
06-15-2013, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I wish they would make a Q camera without that funny looking dial on the front.

Wow.. really like the "Silver" color..
That "funny looking dial" is one of the Q's absolute best features. Instant access to 5 different settings.
06-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #306
Veteran Member

That "funny looking dial" is one of the Q's absolute best features. Instant access to 5 different settings.
I agree great feature, but I wish was implemented differently. The dial/knob on the front just looks weird.
06-16-2013, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #307
Veteran Member

5 different settings? I cannot think of that a "best feature" of anything, given how limited it is.

I'd like to, but can't, program the dial in position "1" to do -0.7EV with RAW.

I'd like to, but can't, program the dial in position "2" to do fill-in flash -2EV with RAW.

I'd like to, but can't, program the dial in position "3" to do auto-bracketing +/-2 with RAW.

I'd like to, but can't, program the dial in position "4" to do auto-bracketing +/-2 with RAW, and force it in TAv mode.

etc. etc. etc.

Sure you can twist it to some position that you have set to apply a destructive filter, and that may be fun for some - but it is so limited, in that it allows setting only "filter settings for jpeg" and not "recording settings" for when shooting RAW.

IMO that dial was a great idea that was poorly executed, and therefore became useless - and Pentax really need to fix that in an upcoming firmware release.
06-16-2013, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #308
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
5 different settings? I cannot think of that a "best feature" of anything, given how limited it is.

I'd like to, but can't, program the dial in position "2" to do fill-in flash -2EV with RAW.

I'd like to, but can't, program the dial in position "3" to do auto-bracketing +/-2 with RAW.

I'd like to, but can't, program the dial in position "4" to do auto-bracketing +/-2 with RAW, and force it in TAv mode.

etc. etc. etc.

Sure you can twist it to some position that you have set to apply a destructive filter, and that may be fun for some - but it is so limited, in that it allows setting only "filter settings for jpeg" and not "recording settings" for when shooting RAW.

IMO that dial was a great idea that was poorly executed, and therefore became useless - and Pentax really need to fix that in an upcoming firmware release.
Wow. It doesn't do what you want it to so it's "useless", egocentric-much.

06-16-2013, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #309
Lens Buying Addict

I really don't understand these critical Replies.

The front dial is reminiscent of my K. I am continually amazed at the range of control Pentax squeezed into my tiny Q. I couldn't care less what isn't there. The only thing that matters is what is there.
06-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #310
Pentaxian

Sure. But we can't even preorder yet. USA will get them in long before AU does.
06-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #311

Photos: Albums
The introduction of the Pentax K-500 I think is also positive don't only for a new product with a lower initial price but also for the effect it may have on the price of some used models.
But I think the possibility of selling at $ 60 less without kit would have been even better for lower futher the initial price.
06-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
The introduction of the Pentax K-500 I think is also positive don't only for a new product with a lower initial price but also for the effect it may have on the price of some used models.
But I think the possibility of selling at $ 60 less without kit would have been even better for lower futher the initial price.
The whole point of the 500 is to bring new, never before used a K-mount camera, photographers to Pentax. What good would a body only be to those photographers who do not already own a K-mount lens? If they do own K-mount lenses then Pentax wants them to buy the K-50, which does come as a body only option.
06-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #313
Pentaxian

They might want a different "kit" lens ....

I will agree, though, that I don't know how many in the target market will think that far. But they may get help from friends or the shop. I bought kits at first but very soon swapped the first kit lens for a used Sigma 17-70. I like it a great deal more than the kit lens and I could have used the saved $50 toward the purchase of the Sigma.

Perhaps the body-only option will come with time. The festive season for big retailers is kit territory, I think. Perhaps toward the end of the year we'll see the body option?
06-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #314

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote

etc. etc. etc.

Although I really love my Q I have to agree: the front dial is of very little use for RAW shooters (like me). I'd really love if Pentax made the dial substantially more programmable.
06-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #315
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually just ordered a white Q7 with a black grip. The "standard" configurations are listed as "available for pre-order" while the custom colors are listed as "Usually ships in 2-4 weeks".

I did an online chat with one of B&H's reps and he said that if these are listed as shipping in 2-4 weeks then that is what B&H expects. So I decided to order one and see if it ships earlier than September.

Has anyone heard if the custom color combos will be available earlier than the standard kits?