Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
I guess with all those new bright colors they are aiming at an older crowd, you know, the type of people who always loose their stuff or something.

06-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Enthusiast: K-5II/K-5IIs (upgrade needed)
24 megapixels, modest upgrades elsewhere. IMO
06-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, here we are. Doesn't look too bad, and it seems they found a way to make a cheaper entry-level without deliberately speccing-down performancewise. That's probably going to be big for the brand, anyway.

Seems the new numbering scheme does make the K-30 a bit of an oddity in the naming scheme. (Guess they just found the styling gamble didn't pay off.) THey've been so all over the place with the naming scheme it makes me wonder if they're actually going to be sitting here namewise for a while. Instead of a K-3 and so forth, maybe a K-5 III and IV and so forth. Who knows, though, at this point. Being an old-timer from film days and all, I was rather more used to camera names and body styles sticking around longer than a year or two.

Guess we'll see when it comes around to that high-end-model-introducing season.
06-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I don't see what the point is to launching these new remake cameras? Pentax has already done this with the current cameras. I guess this is for Brand new Pentax customers and NOT to reach current Pentax owners.
You can go get a k-5 for the same money and have more of a camera. Oh well, it's their money. On the bright side, you can get a bright color! They might make a nice gift for someone who doesn't have a Pentax.
I would say that their priority number one was to make camera models that can increase their user base to lure people to the up and coming top segment. As the cameras are so similar in how they work you can easily upgrade from a Q or a K-500 to the upper tier.

06-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
24 megapixels, modest upgrades elsewhere. IMO
How do you know? The K-5 series is built on an old framework and I bet they've got enough money from them for some serious R&D.
06-12-2013, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #51

As a happy K-x owner this makes things even more complicated for me regarding upgrade path: Opt for a fire-sale K-30 or wait for the K-50 to get its first price drop....as another poster mentioned at least this puts to rest any concerns about the Pentax brand being ignored post-acquisition!
06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Cool stuffs! Way to go Pentax-Ricoh!

Differences i see are:

Autofocus Sensitivity: under this section it states wavelength sensor? What does that possibly mean?
Higher ISO: 51,200 (this possibly means sliiiiiiightly better noise control at equivalent ISO when compared with the K30?)

06-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #53

I would say that their priority number one was to make camera models that can increase their user base to lure people to the up and coming top segment. As the cameras are so similar in how they work you can easily upgrade from a Q or a K-500 to the upper tier.
Ya, you are probably right. It is more "new customer" stream lined. Looks more like a complete line the way you laid it out. It is just not doing anything for those of us who are past our first camera or k-5, k5 IIs owners.

Hopefully these will do well and they can invest in their upper line.
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rafael Quote
As a happy K-x owner this makes things even more complicated for me regarding upgrade path: Opt for a fire-sale K-30 or wait for the K-50 to get its first price drop....as another poster mentioned at least this puts to rest any concerns about the Pentax brand being ignored post-acquisition!
Your choice is strictly aesthetic. If you like the looks of the K-30, get one now. If you want a particular color not offered on the k-30, wait for the K-50's price to drop. The guts of the two cameras are identical.
06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Cool stuffs! Way to go Pentax-Ricoh!

Differences i see are:

Autofocus Sensitivity: under this section it states wavelength sensor? What does that possibly mean?
Higher ISO: 51,200 (this possibly means sliiiiiiightly better noise control at equivalent ISO when compared with the K30?)
It's a color temperature sensor to avoid the problems the original K-5 has with AF in "colored" lighting.
It looks like they are fine-tuning the Prime-M engine now for a higher end camera model.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
Ya, you are probably right. It is more "new customer" stream lined. Looks more like a complete line the way you laid it out. It is just not doing anything for those of us who are past our first camera or k-5, k5 IIs owners.

Hopefully these will do well and they can invest in their upper line.
Maybe they are saving the top one/ones for Photokina? The beginners generally don't care about Photokina and amateur models risk to get drowned in the news feed. Pro's and enthusiast's on the other keeps track of the market and Photokina makes sense for that kind of big announcement.
06-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #56
Veteran Member

John Carlson

Now we understand why Pentax focuses so much on colours. Just look at his tie and shirt combo.
06-12-2013, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

John Carlson

Now we understand why Pentax focuses so much on colours. Just look at his tie and shirt combo.
He really looks like some kind of Swedish Ikea boss so why not go all in Ikea for the colors of the cameras too? Wait for the "cameras in flat boxes" that's missing screws.
06-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you know? The K-5 series is built on an old framework and I bet they've got enough money from them for some serious R&D.
IN what? I'd like to see a more Nikon-like AF system. better connectivity such as built-in Wi-Fi. BUt there's not much else that can be improved. You'll get a better processor at 24MP, but that goes with the turf. For IQ, it's the sensor that counts.
06-12-2013, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

John Carlson

Pentax! Please! For Gosh Sake, hire a model!!
06-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Man... I sure prefer the K30's red color.. Closer to a 645D!

K50's red is simply like the previous Kx..