Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #91

Sooooooo sad

This is one sad announcement. Really frustrating to see, a brand one loves, making so unreasonable moves. Replacing great camera models after just one year or even less on the market, while leaving the products, that have been on the market for almost three years unchanged.

Replacing a great distinctive design of K-30 with the "I'm so boring, you probably wouldn't want to buy me" looks of the K-50 and K-500. And without any serious progression. There is no articulated screen, which in my opinion buyers in this segment would really appreciate. I am affraid, buyers in the consumer segement don't just appreciate a great sensor and a nice processing unit. And to be honest - no one really needs 100 different colours, the choice with K-30 is more than enough. And Q7 with the larger sensor is just, what it should be from the very beginning.

So - with announcements like this, even as a huge Pentax lover, I really can't see a bright future for the brand. Really sad ...

06-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I don't see what the point is to launching these new remake cameras? Pentax has already done this with the current cameras. I guess this is for Brand new Pentax customers and NOT to reach current Pentax owners.
You can go get a k-5 for the same money and have more of a camera. Oh well, it's their money. On the bright side, you can get a bright color! They might make a nice gift for someone who doesn't have a Pentax.
It's great to have a brand new. Old wine in new bottle? That's what people want. It seems Pentax is getting into business !!!!!!!!!!
06-12-2013, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good range of well-priced and well-featured cameras, and a naming convention and lens selection which makes sense: this will sell a lot of cameras to people who would otherwise have only considered Canon or Nikon.
That means more cash to put into developing the higher-end cameras *we* are looking for.

It can only be a good thing.
06-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never before complained about a new product released by Pentax but I can't help it this time due to the body style. The rounded top looks just like a Canon camera, especially around the pop-up flash. I think Canon makes some very nice products but they are so ugly I hate to look at them.

I mention the design because I'm surprised by it after Pentax released the K-30, with such bold lines and a distinctive, unique profile. Too bad. Oh well, just my thoughts.

06-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I've never before complained about a new product released by Pentax but I can't help it this time due to the body style. The rounded top looks just like a Canon camera, especially around the pop-up flash. I think Canon makes some very nice products but they are so ugly I hate to look at them.

I mention the design because I'm surprised by it after Pentax released the K-30, with such bold lines and a distinctive, unique profile. Too bad. Oh well, just my thoughts.
It doesn't look like a Canon at all, IMHO. More like a refined K-r.
06-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Adam, thanks for the info. Seems 22:00 CEST was the embargo time.

K-500, K-50, K-5II (all 16 MP) looks like a nice naming scheme.

So, looking forward to
K-300, K-30II, K-3 (all 24 MP) coming next
Lol! Wouldn't be surprised if the next generation is K-600, K-60, K-6. But then what?
06-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Lol! Wouldn't be surprised if the next generation is K-600, K-60, K-6. But then what?
As my friend said it,
"It'll be a K.O!"

06-12-2013, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It doesn't look like a Canon at all, IMHO. More like a refined K-r.
I agree, but I would go even further and say that K-500/K-50 use much of the traditional Pentax design on entry level cameras that has been in use since *ist DL. Except for some modifications done on K-m and forward to minimize body size, there has not been all that much change in body design over the years. Which is good IMO.
06-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #99
Pentaxian

It's good to see a three-DSLR line-up from Pentax, it will provide a fuller selection to choose from. It's a shame to see that, after producing a more daring look for the K30, they have now retreated back to the safety of a more traditional design in the K50. I liked the look of the K30 and felt that it allowed it to stand out more from other brands and maybe lead the way in modern DSLR design. It's also a shame to see that Pentax are still not offering a battery grip on their lower-end cameras.

I haven't seen anything about it, but what is the maximum sensor size that current Q lenses can cover with their image circles?
06-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

I haven't seen anything about it, but what is the maximum sensor size that current Q lenses can cover with their image circles?
I've read (forgot where) that Pentax engineers said that the current lenses cover 1/1.6" sensors.
06-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #101

Now

Well 1st off i liked the k-30 i got one as a spare and even the wife had one, now i think the k5 needs to go k-5IIIc and k-5IIIf and need updating 24Mp maybe, i think people coming new into dslr will look at the k500 but think there is no where to upgrade to as they improve as theres not much between them all so go elsewhere.
06-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Wow, we made it to page 3 before it was mentioned! That's gotta be a record for this section.
I mentioned unicorns on the first page. Aren't they the same mythical beasts?
06-13-2013, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

I don't see the need to complain about this. Pentax was in dire need of an entry level product. And this entry model is a very good move, with the price lower then the Canon and Nikon competing models, but with the quality much higher. This surely will pull new people into Pentax. Moreover, it's nice to see Pentax isn't dead in the water anymore. They're working to fill the gaps.

That said, in the current Pentax line up it's a bit awkward that the entry level model will be able to produce the same IQ as the flagship model. Yes the K5 is 14 bit. And sure, the K5 has a sturdier body... Can we really see that in the end result? The only real IQ upgrading in this line up is with or without AA filter.

That's why I hope the announcements aren't done yet. Pentax is on a roll, but I hope they don't stop rolling yet. They still need a new flagship model, updated flash line up (preferably with WR) and updated lens line up.
06-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jockey0 Quote
Well 1st off i liked the k-30 i got one as a spare and even the wife had one, now i think the k5 needs to go k-5IIIc and k-5IIIf and need updating 24Mp maybe, i think people coming new into dslr will look at the k500 but think there is no where to upgrade to as they improve as theres not much between them all so go elsewhere.
Why would anyone need to upgrade from K-500? The K-500 is closer specified to Canon 60D and Nikon D7100, than their entry level cameras.

I don't really think I would ever need to upgrade if I had a camera like K-500 or K-50.
06-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As much as I liked it, I assume that the K30's quirky styling was abandoned for at least one reason, principal among which would have to be the sales figures. Manufacturers don't do these things on a whim – if quirky doesn't sell, you can either wait around for the market to change (in which case your competitors will be aping you with similar products, while you're attempting to claw back foregone profit and market share) or you can tone it down a bit, and sell. In any event, the K50 does a number of things a bit better than the K30, with a few concessions, including styling – too bad if you were a fan, but that's life. The K500 makes a few more concessions, but comes with a lower price.

Positioning two similar cameras at the entry level is, in my view, a good strategy. Pentax now needs to maintain the K-5 series as their middle-level DSLR range, and add a premium APS-C DSLR that nudges the professional end of the market. That premium camera should then pass down features over time into the K-5 series, while it stays at the top end. A 35mm format camera can come a little later, when a premium lens range has been developed that can deal with its sensor size. This scenario is a little like the halcyon film days, when Pentax had the KM, KX, K2, K2DMD and the LX.

Far from being the poor strategy that a few Eeyores here seem to think, I suspect the famous Ricoh plan is being unfolded for us, in a logical sequence. Time will tell. Anyway, for us gear heads (well, some of us) there's the Q7 to contemplate, now. If only it had an EVF....