Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But... do the customers care (i.e. do the buyers of a Canon Rebel know what a Pentaprism is)?
Perhaps not all do, but magazines reviewing the cameras will, and I imagine they will mark up Pentax for this, especially as it has approximately100% coverage. The dual control wheels will also be a plus.

06-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax K-500 DSLR Hands-On Preview
I don't know - found here

I guess like K-x
That review is very problematic because it contradicts Pentax's release information in a number of ways. Pentax says there are only 2 differences between the 50 & 500, yet the review has many others listed. I'll wait for the review here.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-13-2013 at 06:18 AM.
06-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But... do the customers care (i.e. do the buyers of a Canon Rebel know what a Pentaprism is)?
Probably not, but if looking through a OVF with pentaprism they will hopefully notice the difference.
Pentax has some disadvantages to work with too, and one of the first thing most potential buyer will notice (and not like) on Pentax DSLR is the noise from the screwdrive.
06-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Personally, I seriously can't see the difference between the dark grainy OVF of my old Canon and the dark grainy OVF of my K5. So why would canon users even care what a pentaprism is?

Last edited by Clavius; 06-13-2013 at 04:51 AM.
06-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #140
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are good ideas from Pentax using their current sensor technology to the max. The OVF in dSLRs are obviously darker in dark scenes than with EVFs/LV modes, but there is no grain in optical viewing. The 'grain' is with LV or EVF displays of dark scenes since the gain has to pick up to expose the scene adequately enough to see on the display in real time (or at least as real as it can get).
06-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Superior differences in a =product = marketing opportunity.
06-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #142

I'm tired of asking where the Full Frame model is, so I won't bother...

06-13-2013, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by canoetripper Quote
I'm tired of asking where the Full Frame model is, so I won't bother...
The FF's are at Canon, Nikon and Sony, but those don't come in pink, purple or red, so that's why nobody is interested in those.
06-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #144

I am just starting, but one main reason I purchased the K-30 was because of the OVF with pentaprism. I really liked the quality of the view, and the fact that it displays the entire field of view. So yes, this newbie was influenced to purchase the K-30 because of the OVF with pentaprism.
06-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I am just starting, but one main reason I purchased the K-30 was because of the OVF with pentaprism. I really liked the quality of the view, and the fact that it displays the entire field of view. So yes, this newbie was influenced to purchase the K-30 because of the OVF with pentaprism.
Good to know that it can be a main selling point!
06-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jockey0 Quote
Well 1st off i liked the k-30 i got one as a spare and even the wife had one, now i think the k5 needs to go k-5IIIc and k-5IIIf and need updating 24Mp maybe, i think people coming new into dslr will look at the k500 but think there is no where to upgrade to as they improve as theres not much between them all so go elsewhere.
Anyone shopping for a K-500 isn't asking the question "where's the full frame model I can buy next?"
06-13-2013, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Personally, I seriously can't see the difference between the dark grainy OVF of my old Canon and the dark grainy OVF of my K5. So why would canon users even care what a pentaprism is?
The issue isn't whether the consumer can actually tell the difference (though I can see a clear difference between the K5 viewfinder and say, a kx viewfinder), it is whether or not enough "pro" boxes are checked on review sites as compared to the competition.

I doubt most users can actually tell the difference between 12 megapixels and 16 megapixels and 24 megapixels, but that doesn't stop review sites and camera companies from selling these things as differentiating points.

I do think that in body image stabilization, two control wheels, penta prism viewfinder, sealing, fps are all things that can sell more cameras versus the competition.

In the end, if enough low end cameras are sold, there will be more money for R and D for the upper end cameras that will follow.

I believe that the K5 II is going to have to have a sequel soon. It just lags behind the lower end cameras in terms of video specs and some other features. I imagine this fall there will be a sequel on it, probably with a better auto focus (more points, better tracking) system.
06-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I believe that the K5 II is going to have to have a sequel soon. It just lags behind the lower end cameras in terms of video specs and some other features. I imagine this fall there will be a sequel on it, probably with a better auto focus (more points, better tracking) system.
I think we can be 100% sure that the new flagship APS-C will have the same electronic innards as the upcoming FF model (shared R&D costs). This probably will be true for the 645D update too (it still has the 'old' K-7 electronics; purely from a rationalization standpoint it would be better to update the 645D at the same time).
06-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Don't want to get OT here, but was the K2DMD actually sold all the time until the LX was introduced? It appeared to disappear quite quickly from the spotlight when the MX (and later, the ME Super) arrived.
Oops! You're almost right. K2 production ended the same year the LX commenced production. However it was the M series cameras that were sold in that year, the KM and KX having ended production in 1977. Still great days for Pentax, with four or five models on the shelves at one time. Thirty years and more later, they're heading back that way, it seems.
06-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That review is very problemstic because it contradicts Pentax's release informstion in a number of ways. Pentax says there are only 2 differences between the 50 & 500, yet the review has many others listed. I'll wait for the review here.
I agree. They said the K-500 comes with the Li-ion battery but it clearly doesn't. Most suspicious is their claim the viewfinder doesn't show focus confirmation points but then they don't mention the lack of electronic level. I'll wait for another review before I believe the focus points claim.