Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Do I win something? What do I win? Please tell me!!
By invoking Godwin you lose.

06-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I did not say they did not have one for review, merely that they could be (and many initial quickie reviews are) wrong about specific facts. As for who isn't calm, these discussions tend to spin out of control on the flimsiest information.
Third hands-on preview noting the same thing:
Daily Zone: Hands-on review: Pentax K-500
QuoteQuote:
We assume that the decision to make the active AF point invisible in the viewfinder of the Pentax K-500 was made to reduce costs, but we think it's a bad choice. If you leave the camera to choose the AF point automatically then it's not such a major issue, but as you learn and want to take more control over the camera you will find it frustrating that you have to look at the screen on the back of the camera to check which is the active AF point. You also need to guess where that point appears in the viewfinder when focusing on the subject.
06-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Third hands-on preview noting the same thing:
Daily Zone: Hands-on review: Pentax K-500
Again, they say the following:
"Both cameras are supplied with a rechargeable lithium ion battery, but they are also compatible with Pentax's AA-sized battery insert, which may be of use to travelling photographers who don't have the opportunity to recharge the battery on a regular basis."

But Pentax says they aren't. Errors in rushed quickie reviews. Does the 500 have viewable AF points in the viewfinder? No idea. Do I trust these reviews because there is more than one that says so, no because they make other errors we have Pentax telling us differently about specifically.

Why is hearing my message of "Wait and See" so hard? As I've said before, we've had lots of simple errors in quickie reviews of gear in the past couple years that tell us that this happens frequently in the rush to get reviews out. Sometimes the same errors are reified over and over again based on an initial misstatement. Occasionally the reviewers tell us stuff that is right that Pentax did not - hence, the wait and see message I have been saying for the past few posts. Geesh.
06-13-2013, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I'm with Docrmw, these are just entry level DSLRs that we've seen before, no game changers. People have to stop drinking the Pentax Kool-Aid and see what other companies are doing and what Pentax is not. I picked up a Sony RX100 before my trip to Europe 3 weeks back and is it ever an awesome camera.
And who said those cameras are, or were supposed to be game changers?
Pentax had their own share of "game changers", for example the K10D and the 645D (more in the past). But, with a mature market, I'd say it's a rare occurrence, and "game changers" that would actually help them are even rarer... expecting it is a certain way to be disappointed.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Fotosidan, I think it's the biggest photo magazine in Sweden, sounds interested too and mentions that:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax says that they have been able to deliver two models thanks to the extra resources that the new owner Ricoh has provided. The goal now is to become the main brand for outdoor open air shooters.
So Ricoh is not only making declarations (Hoya said something similar), but they're also acting to make them happen. Encouraging, but not really a surprise.
Thanks for posting.

06-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why is hearing my message of "Wait and See" so hard?.
Not hard--especially since wait and see is what we can do, anyway. I'm going to buy one of these two cameras, so, naturally, I am curious about focusing points. When three hands-on preview agree on a certain aspect, I tend to believe them. Does this mean the discussion has just spinned out of control? What does "out of control" even mean? What's the risk? Anybody is free to believe one thing or the other. Besides, belief is not certainty. I don't bet anything on the truth of this belief. Just trying to get info about something that I'm interested in and sharing the info I've found about it. Hope I didn't offend anyone by posting the links.

Last edited by causey; 06-13-2013 at 08:34 AM.
06-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait and See
+1

It's interesting that the reviews that say the K-500 lacks AF points in the viewfinder make no mention of the digital level, and vice-versa. Something may have been lost in translation somewhere.

However, it is a time-honored Pentaxian tradition to greet every new model with our motto: "Pentax is Doooooooooomed"!
06-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #172
Veteran Member

This is jut beautiful ...

I wish this set was available outside Japan

06-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And who said those cameras are, or were supposed to be game changers?
+1 Profit is not made by 'game changers' it is made by providing solid, reliable products that are easy to sell and easy to buy. 'Game Changers' are risky, for every one that wins there are dozens that are miserable failures. Yes, you need to push the envelope by throwing out a 'game changer' every once in a while but you can only do that if you have a revenue stream from the boring, mundane cash cows that 80% of consumers will buy. Those who actually buy new cutting edge products are a minority. They may be influential, but they are not cash cows.

k-500 and k-50 are designed to be cash cows, gain market share, gain presence in retailers both online and brick and mortar. Just building a foundation for the future. Good solid business.
06-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Note that like Cyberphoto.se said, things like 100% viewfinder and 6 shots/s in a low price DSLR is pretty special.
06-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #175

Note that like Cyberphoto.se said, things like 100% viewfinder and 6 shots/s in a low price DSLR is pretty special.
Not to mention dual dials.
06-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
+1 I would be sorely tempted. That is a remarkable feat of marketing for a company that doesn't have a marketing department..........hmmm.
06-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be unfortunate if Pentax left auto focus points out to save a few dollars. At the same time, I do believe that the kx was about the best selling camera from Pentax in recent years. Anyone who really is interested in more than just green mode/auto modes will tend to gravitate to the K50 versus the K500.
06-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Not to mention dual dials.
So true, so true.
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote

I'm drooooooooling.
06-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #179

So true, so true.

I'm drooooooooling.
Is the price for that kit known?
06-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #180
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If the K-500 does NOT have VF focus point indicators that is a very, very stupid move by Pentax.
It's full idiocy. Not to make such cheap thing in camera of 2013 year is absurd.