Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Re: K-X. I have one and bought it for the sensor - it was in a class by itself in the price range. I learned to live w/o AF points using just center point - focus and re-compose. Just like my Asahi Spotmatic.

But the K-500 is not in a class by itself. Dual controls are helpful for some people but these purchasers are going to leave it in A mode a great deal anyway, I expect. In the shops, the staff may well steer buyers away owing to the AF lack - it's visible (the lack, that is) and easy to demonstrate. Given the D3200's sensor, this may be a tough sell w/o the AF display.

06-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #197
Pentaxian

I can't help but think at the K110D when looking at the K-500. Maybe Pentax knows better; anyway, it shouldn't be a risk.

QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
I totally agree with you, Kunzite, but how many more years will they have to market rainbows before we get to see an actual unicorn? It's already been long enough, don't you think? What good will it do to attract new customers to the brand if they can never put their hands on a FF, which will "potentially" never exist?
An actual unicorn, hmm... that would be neat, even though Pentax is known for their cameras and lenses - not for genetic engineering
I would not dare to speculate about FF on this section
06-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Is the price for that kit known?
¥119,800 i.e. $1,270 or €955.
06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I totally agree with you, Kunzite, but how many more years will they have to market rainbows before we get to see an actual unicorn? It's already been long enough, don't you think? What good will it do to attract new customers to the brand if they can never put their hands on a FF, which will "potentially" never exist?
What is a FF? oh, you mean I need to upgrade to a Canon Rebel camera later once I buy this k-500 or whatever?

06-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Re: K-X. I have one and bought it for the sensor - it was in a class by itself in the price range. I learned to live w/o AF points using just center point - focus and re-compose. Just like my Asahi Spotmatic.

But the K-500 is not in a class by itself. Dual controls are helpful for some people but these purchasers are going to leave it in A mode a great deal anyway, I expect. In the shops, the staff may well steer buyers away owing to the AF lack - it's visible (the lack, that is) and easy to demonstrate. Given the D3200's sensor, this may be a tough sell w/o the AF display.
I was sent gratis a K-x by a retailer (it was an open box return with a small blemish) because I had a K200D and was critical of the lack of visible AF points in the VF. Pentax when they released the K-r actually mentioned that design change and publicly acknowledge the K-x shortcoming.

I still use the K-x as my main camera because the 12MP file size and sensor ISO capabilities, and I, as en experienced photographer, understand how and where focus is by the green diamond indicator in the VF bottom display. I have the technical knowledge to make it work for me.

But my wife and a couple of friends who have tried the camera hate it. With less advanced consumers they tend to stick to the 5 or 11-point AF system which is designed for shooters of that calibre. But with all those points, NOT knowing which one was used is very frustrating. This is particularly true when comparing to other brands where it is now ubiquitous.

After the K-r reversal on the modest K-x redesign you'd think that Pentax would get it. This is NECESSARY entry-level function. When the camera flashes a light and beeps "I've got focus" people want to know exactly which points it is saying are really being used.
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #201

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
What is a FF? oh, you mean I need to upgrade to a Canon Rebel camera later once I buy this k-500 or whatever?
You know what I hear sales persons say a lot to new comers when I visit camera stores?

"... and you'll be good with this if some day you want to upgrade to a FF..."

Then it's off to the cash register with a Canikon box in their hands.

That's all I'm saying. I rest my case.

Now back to the OT. We should be grateful for all these wonderful colors. I wonder what next year's color palet will look like? Already can't wait!
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #202
Pentaxian

The biggest news here is that there is a new Q!!

The rest of the announcement is just positioning the line up for the marketing group.

06-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #203
Veteran Member

You know what I hear sales persons say a lot to new comers when I visit camera stores?

Now back to the OT. We should be grateful for all these wonderful colors. I wonder what next year's color palet will look like? Already can't wait!
Just kidd'in of course, sales persons will do anything to get a sale and ring up the register...
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #204
Pentaxian

At that price, frankly, I don't care much.
It's a pity, certainly.

I certainly think naysayers found a new toy.
No FF c**p for a couple days, yay !
06-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #205
Pentaxian

But the salesman is actually not being truthful since that APSC lens will not work on the full frame camera. That poor, uneducated consumer will still have to buy totally new equipment if they ever upgrade to a full frame camera, though I cannot figure out why most of them will want to?

Their little Canikon will print 4x5 to 8x10 prints for them all day long with no degradation of image quality and no real thought needed on their part. And in reality over 90% of them will use that new camera once or twice a year, usually on their vacation. The rest of the time they will be using their cell phone camera and texting the shots to their friends.
06-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I've actually never heard a sales person in a brick 'n mortar store say that to a beginner, almost only people on forums seems to do it. The buyers already know that there are "big cameras" but most don't care about them.
06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #207
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

Perhaps so. It seems most people like the focus points.

I liked the lack of focus points in the viewfinder on my K-x. It was my first SLR style camera and I actually didn't know I was missing them (that is, other cameras had them) until I read about the whining on the forums a couple of years ago.

I actually like not having them so much that I disabled them on my K-30. I've never missed a shot from not having them.. I have missed shots due to the cameras focus hunting rediculously. But that has been a rarity..
06-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I've actually never heard a sales person in a brick 'n mortar store say that to a beginner, almost only people on forums seems to do it. The buyers already know that there are "big cameras" but most don't care about them.
Never heard that from friends, either. Not one, when discussing cameras, has ever uttered the words "full frame" or made any other reference. These are not dedicated enthusiasts - they're the people who spend USD $500-$1,500 on a camera kit and pick up another lens or two or three. Their APS-C (or bridge) cameras make them happy. FF won't make them happier. They are blissfully ignorant of the topic. I am convinced they represent the vast majority of purchasers.

I'm not ignorant (about that topic) but am still blissful with my K-5.
06-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

Wow, there are so many errors out there already its getting weird.

From Pentax USA K-500 site:
"Compatible with both rechargeable Li-Ion and AA batteries for plentiful power at home or while travelling. [B]Standard rechargeable L-ion battery available for purchase."
If Pentax USA's site is error free, then K-50 lacks the autofocus fine adjustment function.

K-500
FOCUS SYSTEM
Type: SAFOX IXi+ TTL phase-detection 11 point (9 cross type focus points in the center) w light wavelength sensor and diffraction lens
Sensitivity range: EV -1 to 18 (ISO 100)
Focus modes: AF.A (auto), AF.S (single, w focus lock, focus/shutter priority selectable), AF.C (continuous, w focus/FPS priority selectable), Manual
Focus point selection: Auto 11 pt, Auto 5 pt, User-Selectable (w Expanded Area AF), Center
AF assist: Yes via dedicated LED AF assist lamp
Focus peaking: Yes (n/a during active video recording)
Autofocus Fine Adjustment: ±10 step, Uniform adjustment, Individual adjustment (up to 20 can be saved)

K-50
FOCUS SYSTEM
Type: SAFOX IXi+ TTL phase-detection 11 point (9 cross) wide autofocus system w light
wavelength sensor and diffraction lens
Sensitivity range: EV -1 to 18 (ISO 100)
Focus modes: AF.A (auto), AF.S (single, w focus lock, focus/shutter priority selectable), AF.C (continuous, w focus/FPS priority selectable), Manual
Focus point adjustment: Auto 11 pt., Auto 5 pt., User-Selectable (w Expanded Area AF), Center
AF assist: Yes via dedicated LED AF assist lamp
Focus peaking: Yes (n/a during active video recording)
06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #210
Pentaxian

I'd say there's an approximately 0.00% chance of that feature being present in the K-500 and absent from the K-50.