Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Actually they are not just trying to take on Nikon, they are following the market.
On this graph we can see an increase in sales for sub-$500 (K-500) and sub-$700 (K-50) DSLRs, whereas the $700-$1500 segment is declining.
So, having a consistent offer in these 2 growing segments was indeed a necessity.
Blasphemy!

:sarc: You write as if Pentax makes business decisions!! /

06-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #257
ogl
Banned

The problem is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers. And somebody here don't understand that it's really bad.
The feedback and understanding of customer's needs are the main locomotives of sales.

I feel the degradation in development of cameras. I feel the world sink into new era of Middle Ages. It will the epoch of dilettantes, average men and consumers...
The manufacturers brake the real progress....Only money make sense.
06-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I am just not sure how much one can innovate the DSLR.

Colors? Lots of colours? Has anyone tried that yet?
There's probably more than one answer to this, but the only potential innovations that seem feasible and applicable to DSLRs only, relate to the viewfinder itself. Having an interchangeable viewfinder system is one, but it would require some work to shift everything but the prism and eyepiece out of the way (although a robust system of electrical contacts would work, but would require duplication in each viewfinder unit). Developing a hybrid viewfinder that combines optical and electronic imaging elements is another.

I notice Samsung has done the inevitable and added Android to one of its NX cameras (yawn). I guess that amounts to a low level form of innovation, and makes tracking of terrorist users easier through PRISM.
06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's probably more than one answer to this, but the only potential innovations that seem feasible and applicable to DSLRs only, relate to the viewfinder itself. Having an interchangeable viewfinder system is one, but it would require some work to shift everything but the prism and eyepiece out of the way (although a robust system of electrical contacts would work, but would require duplication in each viewfinder unit). Developing a hybrid viewfinder that combines optical and electronic imaging elements is another.

I notice Samsung has done the inevitable and added Android to one of its NX cameras (yawn). I guess that amounts to a low level form of innovation, and makes tracking of terrorist users easier through PRISM.
Hee.... Since Pentax is at the coloring scheme, i wonder why don't they sell "skins" for the leather part? Or perhaps allow the option to send in a suitable model for a "re-skinning" to the color of choice..

That'll be fun!

06-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The problem is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers. And somebody here don't understand that it's really bad.
The feedback and understanding of customer's needs are the main locomotives of sales.

I feel the degradation in development of cameras. I feel the world sink into new era of Middle Ages. It will the epoch of dilettantes, average men and consumers...
Come on, ogl, old chap. I reckon you've been reading too much Dostoyevsky lately. This is supposed to be the Era of the Common Man (pardon the sexism - not my expression), and you can't get much commoner than some of our wealthier techno-luminaries.
06-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #261
Veteran Member

I'm joining this conversation way late, but...

I actually think the k-500 is a great idea. It may very well have the best image quality among actual entry-level cameras. it should definitely have the best viewfinder, and maybe the best controls. it could be the best entry-level on the market.
06-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #262
Unregistered User

Having compared the specs of K50 and K500 on Pentax's UK site, I must say that they look to be the identical camera, even weighing the same.

Product Comparison - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

It should be pointed out here that even K-r came with a polycarbonate body shell over a stainless steel frame. Why the K50 costs a little more seems to be owing to the following two factors: (i) colour variety & (ii) WR lens.

06-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Having compared the specs of K50 and K500 on Pentax's UK site, I must say that they look to be the identical camera, even weighing the same.

It should be pointed out here that even K-r came with a polycarbonate body shell over a stainless steel frame. Why the K50 costs a little more seems to be owing to the following two factors: (i) colour variety & (ii) WR lens.
WR K-50 body is probably the biggest factor.
06-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #264
Unregistered User

Lots of assumptions with no basis in reality here. It is simply not true that "there is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." Pentax, like all the other great manufacturers, do carry out market analyses, and like any other manufacturer they are secretive about their findings. Just because Mr Akahane did not invite you over for a cup of tea does not mean that there is "no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." And it is also not true that Pentax cater to the needs of "dilettantes and average men" only; the 645D is there for those who do not want to go with the crowd.
06-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #265
ogl
Banned

Lots of assumptions with no basis in reality here. It is simply not true that "there is no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." Pentax, like all the other great manufacturers, do carry out market analyses, and like any other manufacturer they are secretive about their findings. Just because Mr Akahane did not invite you over for a cup of tea does not mean that there is "no real feedback between Pentax and the customers." And it is also not true that Pentax cater to the needs of "dilettantes and average men" only; the 645D is there for those who do not want to go with the crowd.

You think that you are very original? Your joke is very good?
You can't even understand what I mean and tell gibberish about private meetings with tea.

Broaden your mind if you can. Your opinion is the best example of consumer society.
06-13-2013, 11:09 PM - 2 Likes   #266
Unregistered User

You think that you are very original? Your joke is very good?
You can't even understand what I mean and tell gibberish about private meetings with tea.

Broaden your mind if you can. Your opinion is the best example of consumer society.
Unfounded assumptions seem to be a recurrent theme in your case. I know perfectly well what you mean; it's not as if you are presenting us with the intricacies of quantum physics here. I am sorry to tell you that your hyperbolic elitism is just about as risible as your digs at consumerism. I was actually quite restrained in terms of criticising what you had to say; taking apart what you said is an easy enough task.
06-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
But you can play Angry Birds while out birding...
06-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #268
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I think the biggest reason is that they use higher margin on K-50 than on K-500. The extra manufacturing cost on K-50 kit is probably much lower than the sales price indicates..

Last edited by Fogel70; 06-14-2013 at 01:32 AM.
06-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #269
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another difference between K-50 and K-500 is that K-50 will have li-ion battery and charger in the box, and K-500 will have AA batteries and AA adapter
06-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #270
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Another difference between K-50 and K-500 is that K-50 will have li-ion battery and charger in the box, and K-500 will have AA batteries and AA adapter
This is not universally applicable.

That the K500 will be delivered with AA batteries is the case in England, whereas in Germany it will be delivered with rechargable battery.

PENTAX K-500 - Starke Performance, starker Preis - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH