Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Actually we haven't "been hearing fabs about "plans" for many-many years" - the "Ricoh has a plan, and you will be happy" saying appeared only after Ricoh acquired Pentax (that common sense, doh!). And monochrome is an esteemed member of this forum.

Pentax Ricoh's plan is strange only because you don't even attempt to understand it.

06-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My guess would be APS-C replacement of K5, with hints that full frame comes in spring of next year. There just isn't anything else really that makes sense.

I do think that Ricoh's approach seems more coordinated and coherent than Hoya's (which seemed to be release whatever they could with as little R and D as possible). Launching entry level, mid level, upper end APS-C, with full frame coming down the road when the R and D is done.
06-24-2013, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
to produce new cameras without any serious difference with previous ones.
I disagree with this. The k-500 is a replacement for the k-x which has been missing from the line for years. Many, many posts on this forum moaning that Pentax is doomed without a true entry level camera able to compete at mass merchants. Now they have one.

K-50 is a replacement for K-30. No differences? I think there will be many differences but not ones that show up in camera reviews so from that viewpoint OK, not much difference. But I think Ricoh has redesigned the camera to make it easier and cheaper to build. The addition to Pentax of Ricoh manufacturing technology might be the most important thing for Pentax.

Yes, it would be great for them to come out with tech that beats the competition but maybe that tech is not there? What sensor would you put in the k-50 to make it 'different'? The current sensor is best available, even 24mp in new D7100 is only marginally better. Why would they use that in the mid-level camera?

Now we have consistent camera line that a retailer can market: k-500, k-50, k-5II. Good, Better, Best. Classic retail, easy to explain, easy to sell. If they update k-5 in the future it will be with new tech that will then filter down to lower models as the line is refreshed. We may go a long time before seeing a 'new' model as the DSLR market is becoming mature. So instead of 'new' we will get 'refreshed', minor tweaks and improvements but essentially an entry level, a mid level, and high end APS-C camera.
06-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Look at the prices for the K-30 for the last few weeks:

Now look at the K-5ii prices:

Maybe something good is coming, sooner than September.

06-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I must be dense but I don't see anything. (And your graphs do not start in the same month)

Last September the k-30 was $775us and now it is $775us
Last September the k-5II was $1,000us and now it is $1050us

So in 11 months the k-30 price is the same and the k-5II has gone up $50

Please help I do not understand what this means?
06-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Look at trend the last three months. In May there was a price drop for the K-30 then we got the K-50. In May there was a price drop for the K-5ii, might be a clue that something is about to be announced.

Come on, help me be positive...
06-24-2013, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #37
Banned

Look at the prices for the K-30 for the last few weeks:

31st August?

06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

LOL thank you for your support.

Baby #2 coming in early October would make a very good subject for inauguration of my new K-3!
06-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Come on, help me be positive...
I'm trying but I think you are reaching.

I'm heading for Yellowstone in September and would love to take a new camera but I don't think it will be released in time. I'm thinking they announce in September with an in store date of late October / November.
06-24-2013, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Ricoh has a plan, and you will be happy" .
it's just like slogan of any totalitarian sect.
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #41
Pentaxian

It's intended to be funny, and actually it is - for those who are not full-time complainers. It's also true, again the last part doesn't apply to the said complainers because nothing can possibly make them happy.
06-25-2013, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Look at trend the last three months. In May there was a price drop for the K-30 then we got the K-50. In May there was a price drop for the K-5ii, might be a clue that something is about to be announced.
Yes! A K-5III and K-5IIIs. Basically the K-5II and K-5IIs with updated autofocus and higher quality K20D-syle SD-, power-, port- doors.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's intended to be funny, and actually it is - for those who are not full-time complainers. It's also true, again the last part doesn't apply to the said complainers because nothing can possibly make them happy.
So, is only the last part meant to be funny? Or the first part (Ricoh has a plan) too?

Last edited by Clavius; 06-25-2013 at 01:33 AM.
06-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
it's just like slogan of any totalitarian sect.
The Great Leap Forward, perhaps?
06-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So, is only the last part mean to be funny? Or the first part (Ricoh has a plan) too?
Should I get a lawyer to check all my posts? Or use a mathematical-like language that cannot be possibly misinterpreted (though, nobody would understand it)? "Again" refers to the complainers.
06-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The Great Leap Forward, perhaps?
Nah. Just another pointless slogan.

Pentax is merely playing catching up with others now. They have fallen behind not only in delivery of class leading anything, but even in strategic thinking. I mean, not to have a contingency FF plan of any kind, even during the Photokina 2012, which was 16 months after the announcement of acquisition?! 16 months later, it's Photokina 2012, and they had no FF plans of any kind, for any future product?! I still cannot believe it, but Pentax admitted it. See the clip:

So you see, in real life that slogan above means — "Give us another 3-4 years to be on the same level of freshness as others. Then after 5-6 years, we can do something more substantial". In the meantime, throw in more colours.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-25-2013 at 12:45 AM.