Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

The current Pentax lineup is to increase sales where it matters. And that's not where many people in forums think it does (entry level/mid range actually covers most of the market -- not high end).
There's still quite a difference between the K5II and K50/500, but sure, you guys keep talking that down. Go trade in your K5II (IF you have one) if there's really no significant difference.

Arguing that Pentax doesn't have a plan while holding such viewpoints is hilarious.

Obviously, the current release is part of a plan. You'll get your high end toys in due time. Until then, you'll have to play with what's available.

06-25-2013, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Traditional Quote
I try to stay positive regarding the future of the Pentax Ricoh company! With the know-how from Pentax, and the money from Ricoh, the future just might look pretty bright. At least, I hope so.
I like your positivism.
06-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Then, your only purpose is to tell us how wrong we are in using Pentax products?
06-25-2013, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
I can't complain, 'coz I have no Pentax gear. I don't care. You are on the wrong way. Ricoh Pentax is close to ZERO for me as photo brand.
ROFLMAO

You have no Pentax gear, Ricoh Pentax is close to ZERO for you, and you don't care. But you spend time on a Pentax forum complaining about Pentax? Hmmm.....

06-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
... Now we have consistent camera line that a retailer can market: k-500, k-50, k-5II. Good, Better, Best. Classic retail, easy to explain, easy to sell...
The lineup is not that easy to explain. The K-500 and K-50 have some features that the K-5II lacks. A buyer who wants focus peaking *and* the best available low light AF will be confused about which camera to get. Pentax' DSLR lineup has good cameras but there won't be clear differentiation while the K5II remains in the lineup.
06-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #66
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
ROFLMAO

You have no Pentax gear, Ricoh Pentax is close to ZERO for you, and you don't care. But you spend time on a Pentax forum complaining about Pentax? Hmmm.....
I spend 5-10 minutes per day.
Several days per month.
You are wrong. I'm free to be at any forum in Internet. And to spend time as long as I want.
It's none of your business. This forum is good for relaxation.
Where is my complaints?
I say that I think. It's the place to post words and nothing else.
If you don't like it, you are free not to read it.
06-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The lineup is not that easy to explain. The K-500 and K-50 have some features that the K-5II lacks. A buyer who wants focus peaking *and* the best available low light AF will be confused about which camera to get. Pentax' DSLR lineup has good cameras but there won't be clear differentiation while the K5II remains in the lineup.
Ever work in retail? The last thing you do in a sales role is start explaining things like focus peaking. You sell based on "good, better, best". You advertise the 'good' SKU, up sell them to the 'better' one in store and use the 'best' SKU to make the 'better' one look like a good buy. People who know what focus peaking is and the difference in low light AF performance between models do not need or want any help from a salesperson. They already did their research and made a decision.

Just to be clear my remark was intended to be about a scenario where a salesperson needs to help a customer. Experienced buyers would have access to all kinds of info online and probably would not listen to the salesperson in store anyway.

QuoteQuote:
there won't be clear differentiation while the K5II remains in the lineup
I suspect this will be true going forward anyway. Pentax has not always made a clear complete line change, instead new features have been added to whatever model was due for a refresh. I don't know if this will continue or not, and maybe the k-500 / k-50 is the start of a more organized plan of introductions. Ideally new tech goes in the flagship and then gets added to the lesser models as they refresh but that has not been the way it has worked with Pentax at least over the last few model changes.

06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #68
Veteran Member

They might come out with a K-5 mark III/s. the 24 mp sony or toshiba sensor both have great reviews from DXO. Pentax will probably squeeze the sensor some more. ISO 25 or 50 anyone? I think they will keep the K-5 nomenclature some more to provide a clear line-up. Pentax surprised us all with the K-5II/s so why not K-5 mk.III? It's a great body with ergonomics that pretty much everyone loves. A compact form factor and a design that is constant that supports aftermarket accessories. Ricoh is known to take things slow and not to change something that's not broken. What type of Earth shattering new body could we want? Bigger? Smaller? How would this be done? Hey your BG-4 grips would work on it!

Look at the GRD series. Every generation improved on ergonomics until what the users felt were adequate in the GRD IV and the GR now adds a bit more functionality, but retails the handling nature of it's predecessors.

Ricoh, doesn't do in your face, neon strobes, chrome trim, and other bling. They make equipment that they want to feel is an extension of the photographer. Just read what Ricoh GRD owners have to say about their cameras. Ricoh offered the GXR and GRD in black for the most part with limited edition versions of course.

The K-500 and K-50 look vanilla but from a capability stand point, it's pretty darn good to me.
06-25-2013, 12:04 PM - 5 Likes   #69
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't complain, 'coz I have no Pentax gear. I don't care. You are on the wrong way. Ricoh Pentax is close to ZERO for me as photo brand.
You have no Pentax gear, yet nearly all your posts, on a Pentax forum, are anti Pentax, it begs the question "Why are you here"? Don't answer, it was rhetorical.
I'm free to be at any forum in Internet. And to spend time as long as I want.
You are absolutely wrong about that. Internet forums are private property. You are on this forum with the permission of the owner. If you continue to troll us, that permission will be VERY short lived henceforth.
06-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #70
Pentaxian

It's not easy to explain as it is now. So what? They just started to rebuild their APS-C line; be patient.

IMO there are two things Pentax needs:
a. volume (here, entry level cameras helps)
b. advanced cameras for which technology can trickle down to less advanced ones.
I think Pentax is trying to address both issues; which means, the K-50 and K-500 actually make sense.
06-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You have no Pentax gear, yet nearly all your posts, on a Pentax forum, are anti Pentax, it begs the question "Why are you here"? Don't answer, it was rhetorical. You are absolutely wrong about that. Internet forums are private property. You are on this forum with the permission of the owner. If you continue to troll us, that permission will be VERY short lived henceforth.
Yaaaay!
06-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the issue with the "current Pentax lineup" is that the K5 II is merely a stand-in for the soon to be announced K5 II sequel. Maybe 24 Megapixels, more auto focus points with better tracking. Basically a D7100 competitor with some tweaks that make it competitive. In that situation it is a lot easier to sell a K3 versus a K50 and K500.

Pentax isn't going to telegraph the features on such a camera until its announcement though. They have been pretty tight lipped about their pending products ever since Hoya purchased them. Frustrating, but not as frustrating as demonstrating products that appeared years after they were supposed to (as they did in the pre-Hoya years).
06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pentax isn't going to telegraph the features on such a camera until its announcement though. They have been pretty tight lipped about their pending products ever since Hoya purchased them
Right, remember that there were no leaks at all for the new Q7 with larger sensor, as an example. The first rumour appeared the day before the official launch.
There will be no leaks on the K5 successor until its official announcement. After the K500 and K50 and the Q7, the next announcement will be for high end products. That's an evidence
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM - 5 Likes   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello everyone - monochrome here

The "Ricoh has a plan" tag should be read in its entirety to fully understand the meaning and intent. You must prepend the "Be of good cheer, Pentaxians." part to fully understand the sentiment.

I first added that to one of my business analyst posts in the early winter of 2011, when Ricoh was aggressively optimistic about what they could do with their new camera company. Much has changed in the following 18 months in the world and at Ricoh, most of which has shaped implementation of Ricoh's plan for Pentax,

I am quite certain Ricoh does in fact have a plan. I am quite certain Ricoh is in fact implementing their plan. I am quite certain Ricoh did not anticipate how much damage has been done to the brand by years of bad business decisions and finally by Hoya simply ignoring Pentax. I have posted at length my feelings about these things, as long-term members know.

I am quite optimistic about the future of the Pentax brand, and the K-mount in particular. I am less so about Ricoh's direction and the nature of their plan in the context of what members of this Forum generally seem to want from Pentax.

Perhaps we shall discuss some day the correctness of the "you will be happy" part but I stand behind the rest of my statement.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan, and you will be happy.
06-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #75
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan, and you will be happy.