Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #331
Veteran Member

I thought limiteds were primes only, where as the * series could include both primes and zooms (some rather large primes and zooms in some cases).
But then again, I dont think there is a "standard", just a pattern.

07-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I guess the terms "DA" and "Limited" have become a little stretched over the years. Strictly speaking, at least going from the Ricoh Japan site, the term "Limited" applies only to the FA 31mm, 43mm and 77mm and to the original all-metal DA primes from 15mm to 70mm. Everything else may be D FA, DA or DA* but is not called "Limited".

I believe the K7 was originally designed with the Limited primes specifically in mind, which could also be said of the K5 given how similar its body is. The primes do make an amazing set, even all together hardy more weighty and possibly less so than a monster zoom from the usual suspects.

As others have pointed out, in theory at least this does mean Pentax is well set up already to produce a very compact APS-C DSLR to go with the Limiteds, more so than the other K-series bodies - following the introduction of the Canon 100D/SL1. Of course, there is nothing to prevent lenses of any size being introduced to the catalogue, but it would be quite hard to called them "Limited" unless they were a prime, very compact and all-metal.
Well, I do see a section "DA Limited" on pentax' site.

FA limited are listed under FA.
07-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
IIRC, some local Pentax rep told me, when the first FA Limited came about, that they were "limited" as in "Limited by our ability to source the highest quality glass, machine the different metal pieces to the highest precision, and limited in how many we can produce per day by the fact that we use only highly skilled technicians for hand-assembling, tuning and tweaking each lens individually".
Unfortunately, if that was ever true, it is history now.

There are sometimes issues with thread-locking making the FA Ltds came apart and too many FA 31/1.9 suffer from too high tolerances. The internal construction means that tolerances must very very low in order to avoid barrel movement which will affect the optical performance.

I like the FA Ltds a lot and they are a very good reason to choose Pentax. But I'm not convinced that they receive more hand assembly or quality control than any other Pentax lens.
07-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Unfortunately, if that was ever true, it is history now.

There are sometimes issues with thread-locking making the FA Ltds came apart and too many FA 31/1.9 suffer from too high tolerances. The internal construction means that tolerances must very very low in order to avoid barrel movement which will affect the optical performance.

I like the FA Ltds a lot and they are a very good reason to choose Pentax. But I'm not convinced that they receive more hand assembly or quality control than any other Pentax lens.
Wouldn't know....this was back in the MIJ days, and I must say that my FA Ltd (bought then, when they came out, in Japan even) are very much living up to what the rep said. What has happened later, I couldn't tell...

07-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone seen shipping notices yet?
07-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
nope. I don't mind too much though--my bank account needs some time to recover from my daughter's auto insurance (ouch!).
07-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
nope. I don't mind too much though--my bank account needs some time to recover from my daughter's auto insurance (ouch!).
Doesn't that recur monthly? You'll be recovering from that until she's moved out

07-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #338
Banned

Overhere only the Canon-version hit the stores at the time.
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll be recovering from that until she's moved out
At least she's working this summer and paying for the gas.
07-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
End of August

Think it's going to be released by the end of next month with the not so popular mounts. Can't wait for mine.
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #341
Veteran Member

Working for a Sigma Pro Dealer in Canada, this is the info I have:
First Canon mounts will ship here in the middle of August, Nikon in late September/early October, then Sony and Pentax in October/November.

If the delay in getting Canon mounts into this country in an indication of anything, perhaps the US will have everything a month earlier than Canada?

I just want my Pentax-mount version before the end of October! Gotta take it on vacation.

Last edited by Mock; 07-29-2013 at 04:02 PM.
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #342

Is becoming even more interesting with this news: Sigma Announces a New Mount-Conversion Service and Extended Warranties | BH inDepth
08-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #343
Veteran Member

Hope it turns up soon I'd like one for a wedding end of September.
08-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #344
Veteran Member

Guys, that was a short fresh breath of air Sigma was giving APS-C with this lens!

Because ...

... Sigma is doing it again. But now for full frame.

breaking news of August 1st: Sigma 24-70/2.0 is coming.

Source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-et-voila-first-picture-of-the-sigma-24-70...ll-frame-lens/
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Guys, that was a short fresh breath of air Sigma was giving APS-C with this lens!

Because ...

... Sigma is doing it again. But now for full frame.

breaking news of August 1st: Sigma 24-70/2.0 is coming.

Source: (SR5) Et Voilą! First picture of the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.0 Full Frame lens! | sonyalpharumors
Yep - I am waiting for that one. Hopefully in Pentax mount, and hopefully as sharp as the 18-35.