Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #466
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 9,298
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do you guys honestly think you're going to walk around with a 2 pound lens around your neck?
I never use the camera strap, I always carry the camera in my hand - even with heavy lenses.


QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
I prefer to have as many options as I can, which is why I don't mind having 18mm at f/1.8, especially when there is no penalty in IQ.
There will be a penalty - field curvature and coma.

09-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #467
Pentaxian
Mock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There will be a penalty - field curvature and coma.
According to lenstip the DA 21 has worse coma than the 18-35 wide open, not that I have ever noticed a negative impact of this since I don't make photos of diodes.
Similarly, I've yet to encounter a situation where field curvature would cause an issue on any lens, because I don't make photos of brick walls.

Nothing is perfect.

I've just uploaded a new photo (at full resolution for Flickr members), typical wide angle subject taken at 18mm and f/1.8 for testing purposes, and it appears I was far enough back that infinity is in decent focus too.
At a regular viewing size you will see a bit of vignetting and distortion, which a lens profile would sort out with one click. Getting down to pixel peeper resolution it can be seen that the extreme left and right edges of the frame are soft - and if you look in the shadows you will see chroma noise because the Canon sensor/RAW file is awful for shadow recovery.

All that aside, and backing out to normal viewing size again, perhaps one could appreciate how surprisingly good this looks for a photo taken with a lens wide open (zoom or prime) at f/1.8.

Last edited by Mock; 09-19-2013 at 07:33 PM.
09-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #468
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
According to lenstip the DA 21 has worse coma than the 18-35 wide open, not that I have ever noticed a negative impact of this since I don't make photos of diodes.
Similarly, I've yet to encounter a situation where field curvature would cause an issue on any lens, because I don't make photos of brick walls.

Nothing is perfect.

I've just uploaded a new photo (at full resolution for Flickr members), typical wide angle subject taken at 18mm and f/1.8 for testing purposes, and it appears I was far enough back that infinity is in decent focus too.
At a regular viewing size you will see a bit of vignetting and distortion, which a lens profile would sort out with one click. Getting down to pixel peeper resolution it can be seen that the extreme left and right edges of the frame are soft - and if you look in the shadows you will see chroma noise because the Canon sensor/RAW file is awful for shadow recovery.

All that aside, and backing out to normal viewing size again, perhaps one could appreciate how surprisingly good this looks for a photo taken with a lens wide open (zoom or prime) at f/1.8.
Agreed! It's pretty darn good enough!

I mean, sure... Try doing that in low light, handheld with a 21/3.2 and see which one has a more useable shutter speed/iso..
At the end of the day, having a good and useable shot is 1000 times better than a non-useable mess of a blurry picture..
09-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,120
I intend to use this lens for indoor (mostly flashless) shooting--where it's strengths will be most useful and its weaknesses, less relevant.

09-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #470
Pentaxian
Mock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I mean, sure... Try doing that in low light, handheld with a 21/3.2 and see which one has a more useable shutter speed/iso..
At the end of the day, having a good and useable shot is 1000 times better than a non-useable mess of a blurry picture..
Precisely. As soon as we get in a Nikon-mount I can play with, the nights will be longer, and I will try to get out and do some urban night shooting with it. I recognize the slight absurdity in shooting a daytime landscape at f/1.8, but it was for science!
09-26-2013, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,928
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
Precisely. As soon as we get in a Nikon-mount I can play with, the nights will be longer, and I will try to get out and do some urban night shooting with it. I recognize the slight absurdity in shooting a daytime landscape at f/1.8, but it was for science!
Uh....

....around here photography is a religion.
09-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #472
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 944
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Uh....

....around here photography is a religion.
Photography is a mission! To risk life and limb to capture those pesky images and bring them back to base to be subjected to scrutiny.
09-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #473
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
I thought photography was just collecting raw materials, of which you make something later on?

09-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #474
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
Woah... Wait.......! Isn't photography all about turning into guinea pigs for the corporate companies via shooting brick walls and pixel peeping?!
10-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #475
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Really thinking about this lens, I have the DA15 for when I want the really wide into-the-sun shots so flare shouldn't bother me too much. But for indoors, birthday parties, star shots and indoor/evening events this seems like an amazing lens.
10-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #476
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,651
And I would love to take this lens with me to the hospital when my next child is born in June, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Pentax-mount is conceived prior to that.
10-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #477
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
And I would love to take this lens with me to the hospital when my next child is born in June, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Pentax-mount is conceived prior to that.
My next is due in late march so I hope they are faster then that!
10-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #478
Senior Member
scole's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 216
Lately I've been thinking about picking up one of the Bower/Samyang/Rokinon fast wide primes for astrophotography but I completely forgot about this lens. It would certainly eliminate some of my indecision about selecting a focal length. Just wish they'd be more forthcoming about a release date for the Pentax version.
10-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #479
Pentaxian
Mock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
Lately I've been thinking about picking up one of the Bower/Samyang/Rokinon fast wide primes for astrophotography but I completely forgot about this lens. It would certainly eliminate some of my indecision about selecting a focal length. Just wish they'd be more forthcoming about a release date for the Pentax version.
Nikon should finally be shipping next week (15th), and Sony is listed as "Mid-November", Pentax is still TBA.
I hope the Sony batch is a small one, so they can get underway with Pentax quickly. I've already resigned myself to the fact I won't have this for vacation at the end of this month.
10-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #480
Senior Member
scole's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 216
I know Sigma will be at PhotoPlus so can anyone attending harass them about a release date for the K mount version?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-35mm, angles, aperture, cameras, canikon, canon, dc, f/2.8, f1.8, fisheye, hsm, iso, k-3, landscape, length, lens, lenses, motor, mounts, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, review, sigma, sigma 18-35mm f1.8, sr, uk, zeiss
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 35mm F1.4 for Pentax: ETA 4/30 Adam Pentax News and Rumors 181 02-16-2014 06:44 PM
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 detail. rlatjsrud Photographic Industry and Professionals 42 10-06-2013 01:41 PM
New Sigma 18-35 F1.8 APS-C yygomez Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 04-19-2013 04:11 PM
Pentax 35mm F2.4 AL DA L Lens vs Sigma 28mm f1.8 Aspherical orchid Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 04-22-2011 12:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top