Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #631
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Making this lens in K mount would probably cause them to stop production on one or both of the Canikon versions. As long as the Canikon versions are selling stronger than the projected sales of the K mount version it only makes good business sense for them to keep the Canikon versions in production. I'm sure they realize the demand is there for a K mount version and it will be available when its in Sigma's best interest financially to do so.

Economics sucks...
I thought this too, but I'm not sure. Sigma can swap the mount on the new lenses for a fee. They don't just take your old one and send you a new one--the serial number stays the same.

I'm therefore guessing that it's not terribly hard to change the mounts. What might be true is that they are having some quality issues; I read a review that said the Canon mount had some focus hunting. Maybe they ran into some issues with the K mount and want to do a bit more testing before launch? Given that the K mount is of limited popularity, they can probably manufacture enough for satisfy initial demand fairly easily.

03-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #632
Pentaxian

Being an all electronic lens (HSM and not screw drive) it should be a no-brainer for Sigma. It probably only comes out to low demand. It is a fairly expensive lens, with a focal range a bit on the short side, for Pentax there are other options (DA* for example), the same is true for the other guys but their equivalent lenses tend to be much more expensive.

It could be a lot of things, no one will know for sure. But the fact that Sigma sell less K mount than even their own mount sure doesn't help.
03-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #633
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sold my DA*16-50 just for this lens. Come on Sigma.
03-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #634
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I sold my DA*16-50 just for this lens. Come on Sigma.
Ouch! Hope you have some other normal-ish lenses.

03-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #635
Site Supporter

Having already an excellent copy of the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 and the DA 20-40 mm + hating flare issues : i am not interested in this heavy zoom
03-24-2014, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #636
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Having already an excellent copy of the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 and the DA 20-40 mm + hating flare issues : i am not interested in this heavy zoom
Oh, OK.
03-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #637
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
There is certainly something to be said though for not having to change lenses as often. I find the idea of having 18mm to 35mm all at f/1.8 in one lens very appealing...even if it is a bit on the heavy side.
03-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #638
Pentaxian

Not having anything faster than the DA 70 f2.4, I feel the need for SOMETHING noticeably faster, for those occasions when light is an issue, or when I want very small DOF. I guess this would fit the bill. Or the Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art. Or perhaps a rejigged FA 31mm f1.8 that I suspect is coming soon. Decisions decisions.

A question to everyone: if you could have just ONE fast lens (f<2), what would it be?

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 03-25-2014 at 09:27 PM.
03-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Not having anything faster than the DA 70 f2.4, I feel the need for SOMETHING noticeably faster, for those occasions when light is an issue, or when I want very small DOF. I guess this would fit the bill. Or the Sigma 30mm f1.4 Art. Or perhaps a rejigged FA 31mm f1.8 that I suspect is coming soon. Decisions decisions.

A question to everyone: if you could have just ONE fast lens (f<2), what would it be?
The only time I really want to shoot faster than F/2 is for portraits. I was pretty curious about the DA* 55, but I figure that's not that far off in focal length of the DA70 I have. I think as a second fast lens, a 30mm F/1.4 or 35m F/1.4 would be good. It lets you do a wider angle portrait. I am really tempted by the Sigma 35mm F/1.4, but I think the 18-35 would be almost as good at 35mm but offer a lot more flexibility. Hmm...
03-26-2014, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've heard that before from Canon/Nikon users (apologists ), but I don't really buy it. SR is great to have at any and all focal lengths.
I agree. I routintely take full advantage of SR with the Sigma 8-16, and now more recently since loving the hell out of it, the 10-17 Fisheye. Try having a sharp, stabilized shot from a fisheye with Canikon at 1/3s (ONE THIRD!) while shooting indoors (i.e. a cathedral). Oh, and ISO under 800 (rather than 6400 just to get to 1/20 sec ish)

Stabilization in the body is so incredible, that alone is enough to keep me with Pentax over Canikon.

The only thing stopping me from diving right in on the 18-35 is the lack of weather sealing. I could forgive Sigma's atrocious control of flare, but the lack of weather sealing means it does not replace the DA* 16-50 as I see it. My big three on the 18-35 that I would have changed (in this order):

- Weather-seal it
- Make it 16-30 rather than 18-35
- License Pentax coatings ( )

Nonetheless - undoubtedly the most exciting lens made in a LONG time

-Heie
03-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #641
Loyal Site Supporter

if you could have just ONE fast lens (f<2), what would it be?
FA 77 Ltd (As devorama says, for portraits.)
03-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #642
Site Supporter

+1 with dadipentak + Heie
03-26-2014, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #643
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I agree. I routintely take full advantage of SR with the Sigma 8-16, and now more recently since loving the hell out of it, the 10-17 Fisheye. Try having a sharp, stabilized shot from a fisheye with Canikon at 1/3s (ONE THIRD!) while shooting indoors (i.e. a cathedral). Oh, and ISO under 800 (rather than 6400 just to get to 1/20 sec ish)
It very refreshing to actually have somebody agree with me that SR is still important even at wide angles. But then again, I'm usually having this conversation with Canon or Nikon users who are blissfully and obstinately happy to not have SR in their bodies. I don't get it.

For me, it's just as important to have at wide angles as it is at telephoto, because I frequently find myself using my 8-16mm handheld in places that are dim, such as museums and other touristy places. I hate having to venture into high ISO ranges, so SR helps a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Stabilization in the body is so incredible, that alone is enough to keep me with Pentax over Canikon.
Same here. I like owning a Pentax (and before that Olympus) not just because they make great cameras with SR, but also because they are something different from the crowd. But I have to admit that Canon and Nikon make some pretty nice cameras (and lenses!). So if they ever started offering SR, then I would take a hard look at switching (or at least adding one to my kit). But until that happens, there's no way.

But with how much they're making from the stabilized lens racket, and with how willing their customers are willing to fork over more money and to double-dip for larger, heavier, stabilized lenses, I don't expect the situation to change anytime soon.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-26-2014 at 08:38 PM.
03-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #644
Pentaxian

The K 50 f1.2. I don't really need faster apertures at wide or normal FOVs, as I don't really do any hand-held lowlight shooting, nor am I in to narrow DOF wide angle work (which is not very suitable for APS-C cameras in any case).
03-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #645
Pentaxian

My Sigma 85mm 1.4 gives me images that are simply DELICIOUS, more so than any of my other lenses. But if I could only have ONE of my current lenses, it would have to be the Sigma 30mm 1.4 since it also gives me great images, but it's useful in many more situations. It's also pretty small and light. But of course I would take the 18-35mm 1.8 over either of those for a single-lens solution.

I usually don't like to take more than two lenses with me these days...one oN the camera and the other one in my camera bag. So I'm usually choosing between taking the combo of the 8-16mm/30mm 1.4 or the 30mm 1.4/85mm 1.4. But once I have the 18-35mm, then I will probably always take that, and supplement it with either the 8-16mm or 85mm depending on where I'm going. It will make my 2-lens kit much more flexible.