Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #736

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I see some enthusiasm for this lens, and while I also got this first - wow! fast lens, sharp from edge to edge, sounds like a no brainer - musthavereflex, on a second thought - wow! heavy! some problems with flare resistance - the questio arose where this combination actually might really be crucial?

Can someone enlighten me further - what are the photographic situations you consider to be the ones that profit significantly from such a lens?

When I do photograph something with a slight wide angle that needs sharpness from edge to edge then I don't have a choice but close the aperture to at least 5.6
When I do photography in dim light it will be difficult to really nail the focus in which case shallow DOF is a real drawback.
When I want to isolate something in most cases I am not concerned of corner sharpness decrease, on the contrary.
Hello!

For me, this lens will be a great addition to my set: I shoot live music and studio report for musicians recording sessions. Actually, I shoot f2.8 3200ISO for a large amount of my pics.... so f1.8 will make me breathe a little! :-)
I also like dramatic view for live shooting so the 18mm can be great! And the studio I work in are small! so anything above 50mm is of no-use for band picture. So, for me, it's the next lens! :-D If it is not release soon, I can go towards a 16-50mm f2.8 from pentax because of the 2.8/WR/16mm factors. Here are my feelings

04-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #737

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
Hello!

For me, this lens will be a great addition to my set: I shoot live music and studio report for musicians recording sessions. Actually, I shoot f2.8 3200ISO for a large amount of my pics.... so f1.8 will make me breathe a little! :-)
I also like dramatic view for live shooting so the 18mm can be great! And the studio I work in are small! so anything above 50mm is of no-use for band picture. So, for me, it's the next lens! :-D If it is not release soon, I can go towards a 16-50mm f2.8 from pentax because of the 2.8/WR/16mm factors. Here are my feelings
Black_Wizard, thank you a lot, much appretiated. I can see your point. I must confess WR is quite high on my priorities list.
Cheers
04-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #738
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The price difference at B&H is US$600 right now. $1296.95 vs. 1896.95.

Adorama the same.
I think Ritz had it for $1799 or something. I just went with the lowest price I could see for both in a few seconds.

We'll see, I guess. It'll be interesting to see when/if the K-3 is that cheap compared to the competition.
04-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #739
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think Ritz had it for $1799 or something. I just went with the lowest price I could see for both in a few seconds.

We'll see, I guess. It'll be interesting to see when/if the K-3 is that cheap compared to the competition.
The K-3 will track the K-5 pricing eventually.

If you are Sigma, this is good because it frees up consumer $$'s for lens investments. That's what makes the 18-35 work.

If you are Pentax....hard to tell if this is good. At least the K-3 establishes Pentax as a leader. Now I wish Pentax would make a K-x replacement that challenges the Canon SL1. I have hears that product has sold well against the grain of generally declining sales.

Pentax has these tiny lenses that are not fast, but are so usable even compared to mirrorless systems. The 21/.32 lives on my K-x these days. At f/4 this lens is a killer sharp, contrasty, and phenomenally fast focusing, tiny pancake lens. Combined with DSLR PDAF focus speed and accuracy it challenges the session with fast glass because its size alone makes it so versatile (30mm FOV on APS-C). So I'd like to see small bodies combine with small lenses as this is where the non-FF market appears to be heading.

04-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #740
bvg

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC Art for Pentax and Sony: Availability
04-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #741
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So what were the "production setbacks"? I thought the 18-35 was just more popular than expected, and they've been flat out producing the canikon versions.
04-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #742

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great news, but I'm going to lose sleep over this "just-in-time" delivery.
Assuming it wasn't going to come in time, I've been making moves towards getting a DA 16-45 to use in place of this lens on my Mid/Late June vacation. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if I'm unboxing my 18-35 on the way to the airport.
04-20-2014, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #743
Pentaxian

Nice looking lens. My only gripe is that it doesn't say "Ricoh" on it.

04-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #744
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Nice looking lens. My only gripe is that it doesn't say "Ricoh" on it.
That seems like a strange thing to say. If it did say Ricoh (or Pentax?), then I would expect the asking price to be at least double what Sigma is asking, and the warranty would only be one year instead of three. And there would be no USB dock. And if it ever needed serviced, it would probably take weeks, if not months, to get it fixed.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-22-2014 at 10:25 PM.
04-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #745
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
That seems like a strange thing to say. If it did say Ricoh (or Pentax?), then I would expect the asking price to be at least double what Sigma is asking, and the warranty would only be one year instead of three. And there would be no USB dock.
And it wouldn't be f1.8. It would be an f2.8-4 20-40mm lens thats half the size, but the same price
04-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #746
Site Supporter

And people would be using gaffers tape to cover the Ricoh. /lol
04-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #747
Forum Member

For those who don't like the name 'Sigma' on the lens should get the 20-40. It is smaller, variable aperture and not as sharp. Always decisions, decisions...
04-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #748
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I am using the K-30. When I take a picture using the DA XS 40, I can really feel the mirror moving, much more so than with any other lens.
K30 and DA40, I can feel the mirror slap and I love it. It reminds me my first SLR!
04-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #749

In this video the guy talks about how sigma can change the mount to fit different cameras so why can't you buy one for nikon and get then to put on the pentax mount like they say can be done. That way if for some reason the pentax version does not have the sr built in and your still paying the same price as one that does , (because sigma said it cost them more to produce pentax mount lens because they don't sell as many) My guess the pentax version will have to have the sr built into this lens if they are saying the mount can be changed to fit different camera body's.
. If this is the case and you can change mounts then why can't you order a lens for a pentax mount right now.
04-29-2014, 01:35 AM   #750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
In this video the guy talks about how sigma can change the mount to fit different cameras so why can't you buy one for nikon and get then to put on the pentax mount like they say can be done. That way if for some reason the pentax version does not have the sr built in and your still paying the same price as one that does , (because sigma said it cost them more to produce pentax mount lens because they don't sell as many) My guess the pentax version will have to have the sr built into this lens if they are saying the mount can be changed to fit different camera body's.Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 Review - a GROUNDBREAKING Lens! - DigiDIRECT TV Ep 036 - YouTube. If this is the case and you can change mounts then why can't you order a lens for a pentax mount right now.
As he clearly says in the video, this lens has no SR, in any mount. Except of course you'll get it with Pentax K-mount (in body).