Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #841
Veteran Member

Hmmm... apparently right now on Amazon it's $5600 or so. Not nearly as bad as it was. I'd probably still get the Sigma 500mm though.

05-27-2014, 03:36 AM   #842
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The price overhere for the 560 also went down a lot since the introduction. Maybe there will be a market for it now. It's now from 5.999 down to 4.269 euro. Still expensive and more then I would expect for the lens from the start.
The lens has not really been showcased yet, as there are close to zero serious wildlife shooters out there using the lens. If the DA560mm is however similar to the DA300 in IQ, then the current European price of euro 4.269 (if correct) is a great price, especially when considering the lens has top notch 100% accurate AF (based on experience of a user on the other forum) and is weather sealed. No one is going to be shooting at F4 with this focal length, so it's a compelling alternative to the sky high priced canon/nikon/sony alternatives. I have the Sigma myself, but the screwdrive focus is far from ideal and far from accurate (shooting on the K3). I'm really considering trading in the Sigma for the Pentax when this price turns out to be correct. The noise when birding with the screwdrive Sigma, and all the shots that are not 100% in focus are something I would happily do without. The issue again with the Pentax DA560, is that it needs some skilled birders or wildlife photographers to show what the optical qualities of this lens are when shooting raw and doing some decent processing. The lens might be better than people tend to think and the results in the right hands might really surprise on the K3. Not all the shots with Nikon or Canon super teles are that great, just take a look on the forums...

Chris
05-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #843
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
The issue again with the Pentax DA560, is that it needs some skilled birders or wildlife photographers to show what the optical qualities of this lens are
It's just a shame that there's not some organization or company out there that could help get this lens into the hands of said shooters, at least on a temporary basis, to demonstrate what it's capable of.
05-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #844
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hehe! so funny with 18-35...no news, but really interesting news on 560!

05-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #845
HavelockV

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
The lens has not really been showcased yet, as there are close to zero serious wildlife shooters out there using the lens. If the DA560mm is however similar to the DA300 in IQ, then the current European price of euro 4.269 (if correct) is a great price, especially when considering the lens has top notch 100% accurate AF (based on experience of a user on the other forum) and is weather sealed. No one is going to be shooting at F4 with this focal length, so it's a compelling alternative to the sky high priced canon/nikon/sony alternatives
Now you got me interested.

A quick web search found the offer here Pentax Da 560mm Hd F 5 6 Ed Aw - 27075218406 - Vast Brandpunt Objectieven - Objectieven & for 4269 EUR incl. tax. That is less than what you pay for a new non-weathersealed, screwdrive Sigma. If I recollect people were complaining about the entry price and moaning that they would consider it when below 5,000 EUR...

Edit:
If you need good wildlife and birder shots with that DA560 lens to convice you: Look at PvC001: Galleries: Digital Photography Review. I guess the photographer is producing quite competitive results.
05-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #846
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote

A quick web search found the offer here Pentax Da 560mm Hd F 5 6 Ed Aw - 27075218406 - Vast Brandpunt Objectieven - Objectieven & for 4269 EUR incl. tax. That is less than what you pay for a new non-weathersealed, screwdrive Sigma. If I recollect people were complaining about the entry price and moaning that they would consider it when below 5,000 EUR...

Edit:
If you need good wildlife and birder shots with that DA560 lens to convice you: Look at PvC001: Galleries: Digital Photography Review. I guess the photographer is producing quite competitive results.
The Sigma is F/4.5, and at these prices, switching systems for good prices is no problem. The HSM version in Nikon goes for $3k used sometimes.

Personally I was 'moaning' that as a customer I didn't think it was worth considering until it was under ~$4k.
05-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote

Edit:
Great shots in that gallery!

05-28-2014, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #848

I contacted Sigma USA again regarding the 18-35mm in K mount, here was their response:

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately the 18-35 has yet to be released in Sony and Pentax mounts. Our parent company continues to push it back. I do know for sure that they are in production, but I am assuming they're running into production issues. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

M. S.
Sales Operations Supervisor
Sigma Corp of America

05-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leadfoot Quote
I do know for sure that they are in production
Well that is reassuring. But still no concrete news about when it will be released.
05-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #850
Veteran Member

I have a plane ticket reserved on exactly the 1 year anniversary of Sigma's announcement for this lens in Pentax mount (June 14, 2013) and the day I preordered. If I don't have it by then, I'm not going to be happy...
05-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #851
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadfoot Quote
I contacted Sigma USA again regarding the 18-35mm in K mount, here was their response:

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately the 18-35 has yet to be released in Sony and Pentax mounts. Our parent company continues to push it back. I do know for sure that they are in production, but I am assuming they're running into production issues. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

M. S.
Sales Operations Supervisor
Sigma Corp of America

Thanks for the updates!

This is the only lens I am interested to get.
I hope RICOH start develop some real fast zoom lens that is equivalent to FF in DOF if they decided APSC is what they want to compete in.
Fujifilm lens line up is catching up and filling their lens line up with some pretty fast lenses.
05-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #852

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Hmmm... apparently right now on Amazon it's $5600 or so. Not nearly as bad as it was. I'd probably still get the Sigma 500mm though.
4700 the cheapest, do you know if there is any comparison between the sigma and the pentax? the sigma is faster, pentax a little longer, lighter and WR, so i am not sure...
05-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #853
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
4700 the cheapest, do you know if there is any comparison between the sigma and the pentax? the sigma is faster, pentax a little longer, lighter and WR, so i am not sure...
Never used the Pentax.

Pentax Pros: WR, very slightly longer. A tiny bit lighter (but this almost certainly doesn't matter, because)...
Sigma Pros: Easier to handhold (much shorter, better weight distribution, very marginally heavier), faster (incredibly important if you want to use a T/C).

In a perfect world I'd look at the bokeh and sharpness and would likely choose the Sigma... but really execution counts for a lot, so it's tough to tell without using them both.
05-31-2014, 03:03 AM   #854
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
How do you find the performance compares to the Sigma 18-35?

I was was only joking in relation to Edgar's post
05-31-2014, 04:59 AM   #855
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Never used the Pentax.

Pentax Pros: WR, very slightly longer. A tiny bit lighter (but this almost certainly doesn't matter, because)...
Sigma Pros: Easier to handhold (much shorter, better weight distribution, very marginally heavier), faster (incredibly important if you want to use a T/C).

In a perfect world I'd look at the bokeh and sharpness and would likely choose the Sigma... but really execution counts for a lot, so it's tough to tell without using them both.
That's why it really is a shame that the DA560 takes away the possibility of a 500/4 pentax lens. The Canon offerings are heavily overpriced, prices for super teles have risen beyond acceptable. The only option is the Sigma, that I use, but the AF is simply an ordeal, especially with the 1.4tc.
The DA560 on the other hand is reported to have 100% accurate AF on the K3. It is a shame that while Pentax can offer fully up to date AF standards, almost no one will have the benefit, because the Sigma is otherwise the preferred lens. I guess the sales will also completely discourage Pentax to develope other super tele lenses....