Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #1066
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm not sure exactly what 20mm and 35mm f1.8 lenses you're talking about (Sigma 20mm 1.8?), but I'm guessing that the 18-35mm would weigh less, and cost way less than those three lenses. Not to mention the convenience of not having to change lenses, and having f1.8 from 18 to 35mm. For some people, this lens will just make a lot of sense, despite the size.

FYI, The Sigma 20mm 1.8 by itself weighs 520 grams (vs 810g for the 18-35mm), and costs about $600. Not to mention that the difference between 20mm and 18mm is not insignificant. (I think on APS-C 18mm is about 7-8 degrees wider than 20mm).
I had the 20 f/1.8 and didn't really like it at all, so I ended up selling it. The 18-35 is a far better lens.
I have no plans of getting rid of it. Its a lens that will stay in my keepers. I need to get some ir filters to fit it, and if it doesn't hotspot like my Tamron 17-50 then the Tamron will be up for sale.

07-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #1067
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The 18-35 is a far better lens....Its a lens that will stay in my keepers.
You need to get that bad boy into your signature!
07-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #1068
Veteran Member

Oops i mean the 21mm limited. but yeah obviously the limiteds would be more expensive and actually slower, but I actually think the weights would be similar and take up about the same amount of bag room. it would be a lot closer if pentax had a plastic 28mm similar to their 35mm
07-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #1069
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
but I actually think the weights would be similar and take up about the same amount of bag room.
I love primes and DSLR's, but having to switch lenses in the midst of the action is one of the things I could really do without. If the 18-35mm comes reasonably close in image quality to the applicable primes, then being able to avoid lens swaps is a big deal for me.

07-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #1070
Pentaxian

I love primes and DSLR's, but having to switch lenses in the midst of the action is one of the things I could really do without. If the 18-35mm comes reasonably close in image quality to the applicable primes, then being able to avoid lens swaps is a big deal for me.
Edgar, given your love of Sigma lenses, I can't envision you NOT getting this 18-35 zoom. I'm actually a little surprised you weren't among the first in line!
07-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #1071
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Edgar, given your love of Sigma lenses, I can't envision you NOT getting this 18-35 zoom. I'm actually a little surprised you weren't among the first in line!
I was going to get it in hopes of taking it to the hospital as a single-lens solution when our third daughter was born in June. But when it became apparent that it would not be released in time, I ended up buying a Sony RX100-II instead. And it worked out great, because I was able to use my K-30 to take pictures in the delivery room, while I used my RX100-II to take video.

I still plan on getting the 18-35mm, but to buy it right now I would have to sell my RX100. I don't really need the RX100 as a compact camera, since I already have the excellent Olympus XZ-1 which takes DSLR-like pictures (at least at low ISO's). But I discovered that the RX100 does such a nice job with HD video, that I'm now keeping it to use as a compact-camcorder. I think it takes better video than my K-30.

So I will eventually be adding the 18-35mm to my kit, but it might be a little while.

My home theater hobby also has a way of soaking up my spending cash. For example, last week I found somebody selling a Tuba HT subwoofer on Craigslist locally, and I couldn't let it pass! (It's just too bad I'm not really able to use it much, with a fussy newborn and sleep-deprived wife in the house. )

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-11-2014 at 01:10 PM.
07-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #1072
Pentaxian

I still plan on getting the 18-35mm, but to buy it right now I would have to sell my RX100. I don't really need the RX100 as a compact camera, since I already have the excellent Olympus XZ-1 which takes DSLR-like pictures (at least at low ISO's). But I discovered that the RX100 does such a nice job with HD video, that I'm now keeping it to use as a compact-camcorder. I think it takes better video than my K-30.
Funny, I've been using my K-50's video capture (and K-01's video mode) for most of my video recording needs even though I have a Canon HD camcorder. I've just found it to be a hassle to carry around both my DSLR and a separate camcorder. But I see what you mean-- the RX100 is so small and convenient, it can do double duty as a still and video camera and be available in your pocket at any time. The 18-35mm can wait for another time, so let the early adopters work out the kinks and who knows, perhaps someday the lens will go on sale or even be available through the Sigma Outlet store!
07-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #1073
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Funny, I've been using my K-50's video capture (and K-01's video mode) for most of my video recording needs even though I have a Canon HD camcorder. I've just found it to be a hassle to carry around both my DSLR and a separate camcorder. But I see what you mean-- the RX100 is so small and convenient, it can do double duty as a still and video camera and be available in your pocket at any time. The 18-35mm can wait for another time, so let the early adopters work out the kinks and who knows, perhaps someday the lens will go on sale or even be available through the Sigma Outlet store!
I do get some great video out of my K-30 using some of my nice lenses, but I mostly just use it for video around the house since it's kind of a hassle to use it as a video camera when I'm out and about.

And like you said, the RX100 is much easier to hold. My wife would not want to hold my DSLR very long as a video camera, but she doesn't mind holding the RX100.

I also find that the SR on the RX100 is much smoother for video than on my K-30. I have to be very careful when using the K-30 for video, or else the video is shaky. And when the SR is working hard on my K-30, it can be heard in the video. And the RX100 does a nice job of autofocusing during video. I use manual focusing with my K-30 when shooting video, but the screen does not have enough resolution to be able to tell if you've nailed the focus or not.

I imagine the 18-35mm would be a great lens for video though, and I will probably use it for a lot of home videos when I get it.

07-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #1074
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do get some great video out of my K-30 using some of my nice lenses, but I mostly just use it for video around the house since it's kind of a hassle to use it as a video camera when I'm out and about.

And like you said, the RX100 is much easier to hold. My wife would not want to hold my DSLR very long as a video camera, but she doesn't mind holding the RX100.

I also find that the SR on the RX100 is much smoother for video than on my K-30. I have to be very careful when using the K-30 for video, or else the video is shaky. And when the SR is working hard on my K-30, it can be heard in the video. And the RX100 does a nice job of autofocusing during video. I use manual focusing with my K-30 when shooting video, but the screen does not have enough resolution to be able to tell if you've nailed the focus or not.

I imagine the 18-35mm would be a great lens for video though, and I will probably use it for a lot of home videos when I get it.
I shoot video primarily with my RX100II, it's just so much easier, I'm not making feature films so I just want auto-everything and the DSLR just isn't worth the hassle, that said I will do a video test using my Sigma 18-35/1.8 on my K3 soon
07-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #1075
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I shoot video primarily with my RX100II, it's just so much easier, I'm not making feature films so I just want auto-everything and the DSLR just isn't worth the hassle, that said I will do a video test using my Sigma 18-35/1.8 on my K3 soon
That's exactly how I feel. And I don't have to waste time switching settings back and forth on my DSLR from photo to video and back. I would love to be able to sell the RX100-II to help fund the 18-35mm, but it's just too useful with its outstanding and easy video capabilities.
07-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #1076
Emperor and Senpai

I can't. It wraps the signature and will not even let me save one that is slightly smaller than what I have now.
07-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #1077
Veteran Member

That's exactly how I feel. And I don't have to waste time switching settings back and forth on my DSLR from photo to video and back. I would love to be able to sell the RX100-II to help fund the 18-35mm, but it's just too useful with its outstanding and easy video capabilities.
I would only give up my RX100M2 for an M3 It's just too useful and pocket-able, it's the camera that I use when I can't use my DSLR.

I've shot 2 shows now since purchasing the 18-35/1.8 and whilst the image quality is superb I really couldn't justify using it at one of the shows because it just didn't give me the reach and range that I needed. Its zoom range is limiting, I still need to keep my 17-50/2.8 and 17-70/2.8-4 on hand because I just can't compromise coverage.
07-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #1078
Pentaxian

I can't. It wraps the signature and will not even let me save one that is slightly smaller than what I have now.
That's what we would call a "First world problem".
07-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #1079
Emperor and Senpai

That's what we would call a "First world problem".
You might be on to something there.
07-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #1080
Pentaxian

You might be on to something there.
A modern Ricoh GX would be nice a addition to the line up IMO (and GR in, let's say 35/40mm or even 75/80mm).
It would lessen the need for an RX cam. And if they can pull proper video on top...