Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #1111
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've never had a problem with loose hoods on any of my Sigma's, so I don't think it's normal.
Same experience here but--due to the FL--the hood for this lens is not as robust an appliance as for, say, the 70-200.

07-23-2014, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #1112
Pentaxian

I've never had a problem with loose hoods on any of my Sigma's, so I don't think it's normal.
you should see how much the lens hood on my sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX wobbles, but then again that lens has had a hard life, though it was all worth it.

Pentax K7- Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG
07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #1113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you should see how much the lens hood on my sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX wobbles, but then again that lens has had a hard life, though it was all worth it.
Awesome shot!

I've owned three copies of that lens...first in K-mount, then in Sony-mount, and now in K-mount again, and the hood has been solid on all of them. But my 100-300mm f4 only comes out a few times a year, so it has not been worked nearly as hard as yours. (Or nearly as hard as it deserves!)

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-23-2014 at 07:04 PM.
07-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #1114
Veteran Member

I've got a Sigma 120-300 Sports and the lenscap (oops! I meant to say "lenshood") is a nightmare. There seem to be two ways of fixing it to the lens, one good, one bad.. But you only find out which one you picked when the hood comes off. lol
I probably should check the markings, but my eyes aren't great and they're a grey color that blends in with the barrel and are hard to find in dim light.

Last edited by bossa; 07-24-2014 at 01:30 AM.
07-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #1115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I've got a Sigma 120-300 Sports...
Oh sure, rub it in why don't you?
07-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #1116
Pentaxian

I've got a Sigma 120-300 Sports and the lenscap is a nightmare
I swapped mine for a Nikon pinchie cap - I really like the nikon lens caps, I even use them on my canon lenses.
07-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #1117
Veteran Member

I swapped mine for a Nikon pinchie cap - I really like the nikon lens caps, I even use them on my canon lenses.
I only just realized that I typed "lens cap" when I meant "lens hood".. The new Sigma lens caps are actually great. The Zeiss lens cap that came with my 21mm however, is so thin that it's a risky proposition taking the thing off the lens. I always feel like it's going to either fly across the room (happened once and I spent an hour searching for a tiny spring.. lol) or slip and damage the front element.

I use a Canon pinch hood on my FA31 though.

---------- Post added 24-07-14 at 05:59 PM ----------

Oh sure, rub it in why don't you?
Sorry mate.. It weighs a ton though, so really nothing to get upset about.

Last edited by bossa; 07-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.
07-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #1118
Pentaxian

I only just realized that I typed "lens cap" when I meant "lens hood"
haha, for the three days I had my sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 I didn't have a problem with the hood at all, it fits quite well and locks on securely. I can imagine in time it will get a bit loose, like all modern plastic bayonet lens hoods do.

The Zeiss lens cap that came with my 21mm however, is so thin that it's a risky proposition taking the thing off the lens
Again I used a Nikon pinchie cap for that lens too. I can't say i'm a fan of the new sigma lens caps myself - you can have mine if you want. I also don't like the new grey colour scheme Sigma are using on their lenses. I don't expect them to do the gaudy AI nikkor colours, but something legible in low light would be nice.

07-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #1119
Veteran Member

haha, for the three days I had my sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 I didn't have a problem with the hood at all, it fits quite well and locks on securely. I can imagine in time it will get a bit loose, like all modern plastic bayonet lens hoods do.

Again I used a Nikon pinchie cap for that lens too. I can't say i'm a fan of the new sigma lens caps myself - you can have mine if you want. I also don't like the new grey colour scheme Sigma are using on their lenses. I don't expect them to do the gaudy AI nikkor colours, but something legible in low light would be nice.
Hi Doug, When I mentioned my Sigma Lens Cap I was meant to be referring to the Lens Hood of my new Sigma 120-300 F2.8 Sports lens. I doubt the 18-35 Lenscap/hood would help.

I concur re' the gray on black labels, though, whilst they look nicely engraved, they are difficult to read.

PS> I'm still not convinced of this lens yet, but I'm working on it.

I appear to be spraying typos in all directions, unlike these planes precision flying and signwriting in the sky over Adelaide the other day.

Sigma 120-300 OS Sport/ D800E

Last edited by bossa; 07-24-2014 at 03:22 AM.
07-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #1120
Pentaxian

concur re' the gray on black labels, though, whilst they look nicely engraved
They are screen printed I believe, they aren't engraved like the FA limiteds.
07-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #1121
Veteran Member

They are screen printed I believe, they aren't engraved like the FA limiteds.

Most of the markings on my 501.4 "Art" and 120-300 "Sport" are screened on but the serial numbers are engraved. But surprisingly, all markings and text on the 120-300 Lens hood are engraved only, with no paint whatsoever.

We're both 1/2 right
07-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #1122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
... these planes precision flying and signwriting in the sky over Adelaide the other day.
Dem chemtrails!
Little wonder you are spraying typos everywhere.
07-26-2014, 02:36 AM   #1123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Dem chemtrails!
Little wonder you are spraying typos everywhere.
Yes.. I prefer to think of them as The Fairy Floss Air Force. sprinkling sparkly fairy dust goodness as they go by.

(Actually it's Tony Abbott's "Green Airforce" dragging cotton wool through the sky in a futile attempt to soak up the Co2 and other pollutants for his bogus "Direct Action" Carbon Emissions Abatement Scam)
07-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #1124
Loyal Site Supporter

Hood Update

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I've lost the hood. It must have come off silently while I was wandering about yesterday with the camera on the BlackRapid strap. Just a warning to those who buy this lens: the hood has a tendency to pop off.
The replacement is on the way and reasonably priced (USD $25).

Interestingly, the service rep was surprised that I actually had a copy of the lens. I get the sense that the distribution process is multi-layered, involving a variety of agents over which the manufacturer has only partial control.
07-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #1125
Site Supporter

This was my very first Sigma, and I really enjoy using it plus the quality on the pictures have so far been great. Though sometimes the camera troubles to calculate the right exposure for the scene.
Some might think it's on the heavy side, but I have no problem with it.

However, QC is a question mark. My NEW copy came with a few dust particles(!?) sitting in the center of the glass inside, on some element between the K-mount and the aperture blades. The front element also had a few dust particles on it when I got it out from the box, which does give an awkward feeling.
The only other complaint now, would be that the Sigma front cover is a bit flimsy made compared with what Pentax puts on theirs. Might not be due to the mechanism, it's just that it's so light like a feather I'm afraid that a wind might carry it away if left out of sight.

Oh well, waiting to hear back from the vendor.