Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #1156

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Essentially they are saying that if a lens is not identified correctly, manually select the correct profile and then click the arrows next to 'Setup' and select 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults.' Then you need to update your import preset to make this happen automatically.
I use this method for years, and there is still a problem: the metadatas are not updated, you can't filter on Sigma lenses

08-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #1157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Essentially they are saying that if a lens is not identified correctly, manually select the correct profile and then click the arrows next to 'Setup' and select 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults.'
This only pertains to the lens profile selection.

It does not solve the problem of LR failing to associate the correct metadata with the image.

That's why I wrote earlier that Adobe has a mechanism for user defined mappings from lens IDs to profiles and hence should also make user defined mappings from lens IDs to metadata (lens manufacturer and lens model) available.
08-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #1158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inextenza Quote
I use this method for years, and there is still a problem: the metadatas are not updated, you can't filter on Sigma lenses
True. I can't remember what year I've taken certain photos on, but I can remember which lens I took it with...
08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #1159
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I loaned my Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 so I could borrow a colleagues 18-35mm f/1.8 for use on my Nikon D800E, with DX crop mode on it is basically the same sensor as the Pentax K5IIs.

A Bokeh comparison between the Pentax FA31mm f/1.8 and Sigma 18-35mm:

Left Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 Limited - Right Nikon D800E with Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 @ 31mm f/1.8 [ DX crop mode]

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Lens needed a +6 adjustment on my D800E to focus accurately. However the anomaly that has been driving me up the wall is the frog egg bokeh, I'm stumped as to what is causing it. I have a hypothesis about what could be causing it, but so far I have been unable to replicate or isolate the cause of it under controlled conditions.

Here is an example where the effect rears its profoundly ugly head:

Nikon D800E With Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 @ 18mm f/1.8 [DX crop mode]

Other than that I have been impressed with the close focus performance of this lens (on the D800E). Sigma has a history of playing fast and casual with term "macro" on their lenses and having less than optimal close focusing distances on their lenses, While the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 isn't explicitly regarded as a macro lens, it is good to see the lens is capable of producing excellent results at close focusing distances:

Nikon D800E With Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8@ 35mm f/4 [DX crop mode]
The 'frog egg' bokeh or what I heard others said, "onion ring bokeh" is known before this lens start shipping. I remember a Sigma rep said something like they will look into it (during prototype samples) but apparently they didn't solve it.

08-12-2014, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #1160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The 'frog egg' bokeh or what I heard others said, "onion ring bokeh" is known before this lens start shipping. I remember a Sigma rep said something like they will look into it (during prototype samples) but apparently they didn't solve it.
The 35 F1.4 Art does OOF specular rings as well but so does my DA*200 (shown below)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by bossa; 09-15-2014 at 05:49 PM.
12-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #1161

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a feedback from my side for the Sigma lens. I had this for Nikon mount and was working perfectly. For pentax mount i have problems with autofocus. On far distance it is not accurate.. And my copy was already once in the Sigma Service (not for autofocus). Such a good lens optically, hope they get this right this time
12-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #1162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
I had this for Nikon mount and was working perfectly. For pentax mount i have problems with autofocus. On far distance it is not accurate.
Niether was mine - I bought the dock and fixed that issue. IMO the dock is a critical accessory for lenses like this

12-04-2014, 05:54 AM   #1163
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The 35 F1.4 Art does OOF specular rings as well but so does my DA*200 (shown below)
Uh-oh, throw it in the trash!

I've always wondered what the big deal was about the rings. I don't think I would have noticed them if they weren't pointed out, and even then, I don't think they really hurt the image.

12-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #1164
baj

Niether was mine - I bought the dock and fixed that issue. IMO the dock is a critical accessory for lenses like this
Does it now work as well as the Nikon version? Is it really possible that the AF issues with this lens can be fixed with the USB dock (this means that the AF is not inconsistent but simply miscalibrated)?!? Since you had already sent your lens in for service I assume that what you did with the USB dock was focus adjustment only and not firmware update?
12-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #1165
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've always wondered what the big deal was about the rings. I don't think I would have noticed them if they weren't pointed out, and even then, I don't think they really hurt the image.
I thought the same myself.
12-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #1166
Pentaxian

Let me illustrate for you:

Pentax K5IIS - sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 @ 18mm f/1.8 - 50% crop

Pentax K5IIS - Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 @ 20mm f/1.8 - 100% crop inset

and you think you wouldn't notice this effect at all unless someone pointed it out.
12-04-2014, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #1167
Loyal Site Supporter

and you think you wouldn't notice this effect at all unless someone pointed it out.
Well, now that you've pointed it out, it'll bother the begeesis out of me. I'll never forgive you!

Last edited by dadipentak; 12-04-2014 at 09:56 AM.
12-04-2014, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #1168
Pentaxian

I don't know how you'll take this, but I think your example perfectly illustrates why it's pretty much a non-issue for me.

You have to be looking at a magnified detail to see it, and even if you do see it, so what? Are tiny filled-in circles fundamentally better than tiny doughnut circles? Neither one particularly reflects how we see things in the real world, and I don't know how you could say that either optical manifestation is objectively better than the other. Some people might think the circles are kind of cool.

And all of this pre-supposes that the bokeh circle is even visible or noticeable under normal viewing circumstances.

And apparently some Pentax lenses also do it, but I don't ever recall it being bemoaned or even mentioned on here before the Sigma 18-35mm.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 12-07-2014 at 07:21 AM.
12-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #1169
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting. Micro-doughnut bokeh.

Normally you only see bokeh like that when using catadioptric mirror lenses. Maybe there are some unintended internal reflections going on.
12-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #1170
Pentaxian

I don't know how you'll take this, but I think your example perfectly illustrates why it's pretty much a non-issue for me.

You have to be looking at a magnified detail to see it, and even if you do see it, so what? Are tiny filled-in circles fundamentally better than solid tiny circles? Neither one particularly reflects how we see things in the real world, and I don't know how you could say that either optical manifestation is objectively better than the other. Some people might think the circles are kind of cool.

And all of this pre-supposes that the bokeh circle is even visible or noticeable under normal viewing circumstances.

And apparently some Pentax lenses also do it, but I don't ever recall it being bemoaned or even mentioned on here before the Sigma 18-35mm.

+1
That's some real pixel peeping noticing that...and even then, I don't think it detracts or distracts at all.

And regarding the top image, the bokeh is a little nervous. But it is also at 18mm, so your not going to get the creamy bokeh.