Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
You know, a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM would be a much better match for the new lens. Keep it all in the family you know. Too bad they don't make the 50-150mm for Pentax anymore, but luckily a used sample is easier to find these days since Sigma recently sold a bunch of old stock 50-150mm's.
Those older 50-150's are not in the same league as the new version.. but it weighs a ton!

06-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Those older 50-150's are not in the same league as the new version.. but it weighs a ton!
I'm not up on the optical differences between the new and old, but the fact that it's not available in Pentax mount is also kind of a reason to not buy it.
06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I just read SLRGear review, and it's unreal how they talk about the lens. Either they've all bought stock in Sigma recently, or this is a really amazing lens.

Sigma Lens: Zooms - Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM "A" (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Sharp from f1.8 at all apertures, nice bokeh, low vignetting, relatively low distortion and very little CA. They also speak very positively about the AF performance and build quality of even the pre-production version they tested. It's obvious that Sigma could price this lens much higher, and still sell loads of them. It makes you wonder why the price is coming in so much lower than everybody expected. And from the same company that brought us the $9700 SD1, no less!

So what gives with the low price?

I think that by offering it at such an affordable price, they are going to tempt a lot of people (Nikon and Canon users) who would normally never consider a third-party lens. And when said users are very satisfied with the lens, then they will not be adverse to buying other Sigma lenses for their Canon or Nikon cameras in the future. So my theory is that Sigma knows this lens will be very compelling, and they are very confident in its image quality, performance, and build quality, so they are going to get as many copies out there as possible in order to smash down barriers to purchase based on old perceptions of poor quality.
06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I laughed hard at the irony when I read some comments from full-frame users on another site that his lens may tempt them back to APS-C True!

06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now we just need a 50-135 2.8 at a similar price...
06-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Well I just dug a little deeper about the USB dock. On the Sigma site, it shows it for Canon, Nikon, and Sigma - no Pentax.

What a shame - I was seriously thinking about this lens, but without the docking capability as it is offered for other mounts, I doubt I would buy one.
06-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well I just dug a little deeper about the USB dock. On the Sigma site, it shows it for Canon, Nikon, and Sigma - no Pentax.
I can't imagine them not offering it for Pentax in the future. You might want to email them and check. They have also been very responsive when I have sent them questions.

For myself, I wouldn't consider lack of the dock to be a deal breaker. If you can't get it dialed in perfectly using your in-camera adjustments, then Sigma offers free calibration. If the lens is as good as it's looking so far, I think it would be well worth it.

06-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I can't imagine them not offering it for Pentax in the future. You might want to email them and check. They have also been very responsive when I have sent them questions.

For myself, I wouldn't consider lack of the dock to be a deal breaker. If you can't get it dialed in perfectly using your in-camera adjustments, then Sigma offers free calibration. If the lens is as good as it's looking so far, I think it would be well worth it.
I know.....I know.....I really would like to get this lens, but I refuse to have to send it in for calibration when new like I've done in the past. The dock was the one reason why I was willing to buy this lens so I can adjust it myself if need be.

There is time since it isn't released yet - I'll email them and ask. I really don't understand why the dock would be different for different mounts unless the firmware in the docks are different.
06-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I wonder what the bokeh and depth of field will be like on this thing through out its focal length range... 18mm @ f1.8... whoa. If its sharp this one is on the list.
Yup that bokeh has to be sharp
06-14-2013, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Please be sure to report back ...curious to find out how you think it compares with your DA 18-135 and Tamron 28-75. Will you use either lens less because of the new lens? Or will all three zoom continue to have a place in your camera bag?
The Sigma 17-70 K-mount isn't in S.Africa yet, but I'll get it in about 4 weeks. I'll certainly post my impressions. I plan to use it to replace my Tammie 28-75 as an everyday lens, but it will be a painful parting.

I use the Tammie 28-75 every day, indoors and outdoors. It's just as sharp as my DA* 60-250 (and sharper in the corners than my F 28). I've printed great landscapes up to 75cm/30in wide with it. But the extra range at the long end over 50mm in the 28-75 is what I find most useful for every day use. When I've needed to go wider than 28mm on occasion, I usually reach for my DA 15, which has a permanent home in my bag. Focusing is fast but I don't like the focus noise, which can be very distracting in a quite environment, esp. indoors.

The DA 18-135 is my all weather lens. It's an outdoor lens for me - not fast enough for indoors and not nearly as sharp as the Tammie across the frame, but very useful in rain, mist and sea air. Corner sharpness doesn't really matter in foul weather anyway. It makes a good all weather companion to the 60-250. It's bokeh is very good too. Some of my best images have come from this lens. Focusing is fast and silent.

But occasionally I need to go wider than 28mm outdoors and don't have an opportunity to change lenses or carry a second body. I still need the range at the long end. What to do....

Alternatives:
. DA 17-70/4. A good candidate with a mount seal, but it has real SDM issues. But price is higher than the new Sigma 17-70 in S.A.
. DA*16-50/2.8. Too flaky, too risky, way too pricey.
. Wait for the new DA*~17-70. No news, possibly a vapourware lens. Price is likely to be in the stratosphere given Pentax's recent pricing behaviour.
And... anyway all the DAs are disqualified for me now because of Vietnam's role in the slaughter of our Rhino here in South Africa.

Tamron 17-50/2.8. A strong contender, light, fast and sharp as its 28-75 cousin. But I still need the extra range at the long end. Good value but with a noisy focus.
. Sigma 17-70 older versions. Not as sharp as the DA 17-70 or Tamron 28-75.

The new Sigma 17-70 "C" should better them all in IQ from what I've researched. And Sigma has a 3 year warranty. I'll report back.

Last edited by Gray; 06-14-2013 at 09:37 PM.
06-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Now we just need a 50-135 2.8 at a similar price...
The new 50-150 f2.8 OS is supposedly the sharpest zoom lens on Earth.. maybe we can talk them into releasing that for Pentax.. I believe it costs around $900.

SLR Gear raves about that lens too.
06-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Each to their own, but the level of obsession with image sharpness with many photographers is rather frightening. Especially when it's not actually sharpness these obsessives are yearning for but rather they want ultimate detail. A crap image is still a crap image even if the sensor and lens can resolve every last Higgs Boson in the scene.
06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #73
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The new 50-150 f2.8 OS is supposedly the sharpest zoom lens on Earth.. maybe we can talk them into releasing that for Pentax.. I believe it costs around $900.

SLR Gear raves about that lens too.
I just do not see a point in having a 1.34 kg 50-150mm lens :\
for me, the DA* 50-135 hits the performance\weight sweet spot. Too bad the AF is really slow Thats the only thing stopping me from buying it
06-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
I just do not see a point in having a 1.34 kg 50-150mm lens :\
for me, the DA* 50-135 hits the performance\weight sweet spot. Too bad the AF is really slow Thats the only thing stopping me from buying it
I agree.. my 70-200 F2.8 VRII is already too much to handle for me with my current back issues. My D800e with grip (with extra battery) weighs 3kg with that lens attached. My DA*50-135 was in Japan for 4 months being repaired and that drove me over the top and I sold just about all of my Pentax gear last year.
06-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #75
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It looks like a great indoor lens.