Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Pentax could really shake things up and make it a constant f/2 - add a built in lens hood with a polarizing window, and 67mm filter thread. Because the main criticisms I hold against sigma lenses is their AF accuracy and sub-standard flare tolerance.
I suspect the Limited zoom to be an F:4 lens. Optimized for optical quality and small size. Flare resistance is very important and I expect such a zoom lens to excel in this area. I would like to replace the DA* 16-50/2.8 with the Limited zoom + the 15 Limited.
Flare supression is very important for outdoor use particularly since the dynamic range of current sensors makes it possible to make effective images where the sun is in the frame. The 15 Limited seems to be possibly unsurpassed when it comes to flare resistance for a wide angle lens. The Sigma is not for me...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-21-2013 at 05:10 AM.
07-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #302
Pentaxian

These new Sigma lenses are very interesting and are certainly getting a lot of attention/hype but when placed up against what Pentax has to offer with their DA/FA Limited they just don't appeal to me. I just straight up prefer the smaller size, build, bokeh, and distinct rendering qualities (especially from the FAs with their pixie dust) that I only get with the Limited line of Pentax glass. This is also the reason why I switched from Canon to Pentax. At the very least though I do think that the Sigma lenses may push other manufacturers to step up their game a bit. I am glad that Sigma is offering their new lenses in K Mount and that they are coming in at reasonable prices.
07-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #303
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
These new Sigma lenses are very interesting and are certainly getting a lot of attention/hype but when placed up against what Pentax has to offer with their DA/FA Limited they just don't appeal to me. I just straight up prefer the smaller size, build, bokeh, and distinct rendering qualities (especially from the FAs with their pixie dust) that I only get with the Limited line of Pentax glass. This is also the reason why I switched from Canon to Pentax. At the very least though I do think that the Sigma lenses may push other manufacturers to step up their game a bit. I am glad that Sigma is offering their new lenses in K Mount and that they are coming in at reasonable prices.
True, but Pentax should make a new FA 20mm/f1.9 Ltd. to complete the series. And a new DA 26mm/f2.8 Ltd.

Oh and a DA*45-90mm/f2.0 as a general portrait zoomlens.
07-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote

I'll be testing out my own Sigma 100-300mm f4 for soccer duty on my K-30 soon. My wife and her family is from Brazil, so for Father's Day this year we bought her father tickets to the "Guinness International Champions Cup" match here in Indianapolis on August 1st between Chelsea and Inter Milan. Hopefully they allow big lenses into the stands. Now I just need to start doing my homework to learn who the big name players are that I should be focusing on...
IQ should be great with that combo. Used to shoot the 100-300 on the D90 with very good results, the K30 is a small step up from that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Whoa, that lens shines on FF!
Yes, it's another example of Sigma's success. Great lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Nice lens. What I do not like about it: It is useless on FF cameras - the thing many of us are waiting for. It weighs 810g which is heavy. I would be much happier with a f/2.8 version for the same price. It would be smaller and lighter and may be corrected better in bright light conditions as well as distortion/vignetting.
Are you talking about the 18-35 1.8 again? Try to stay on-topic, which has shifted off-topic to the 100-300!

07-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #305
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Nice lens. What I do not like about it: It is useless on FF cameras - the thing many of us are waiting for. It weighs 810g which is heavy. I would be much happier with a f/2.8 version for the same price. It would be smaller and lighter and may be corrected better in bright light conditions as well as distortion/vignetting.

Soccerwise I would like to mention that I made even better images with Nikon F-801 and 2.8/180 15 years ago. Don't blame your equipment if thing are not in focus, practice, practice, practice....
It's not like Sigma doesn't have that effective focal range covered in a FF lens:

24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
07-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
True, but Pentax should make a new FA 20mm/f1.9 Ltd. to complete the series. And a new DA 26mm/f2.8 Ltd.

Yes.... I'm hoping Pentax is working hard on a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2, D-FA* 85mm F/1.4, & a D-FA* 135mm F/1.8.

A new FF Pentax with a new high performance Sony sensor and new glass would be a great start.
07-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #307
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

strikes me as kinda huge

07-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #308
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote

strikes me as kinda huge

Yup, that would be one of the few downside for this lens, along with non-weather sealing. But the performance and price definitely makes this a sought after lens.
07-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #309
Pentaxian

My last three lens purchases have been Sigma Lenses. The 18-250, the 70 macro 2.8 and the 8-16, all very good lenses. It doesn't bother me at all that they aren't Pentax branded. In a way it;s better, I don't have to argue about if they're better than what's available from Canikon, and they are all stand out lenses that stand up to any lenses made anywhere. The 8-16 outperforms many primes in both resolution, distortion, and CA control. Sigma is on a roll. I hope they keep rolling them out. The big question is what has happened to the Pentax lens designers. Ricoh said it planned to rehire them. I see no evidence of that, does anyone else? Maybe they are all working on the new DF series of lenses.
07-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I hope they don't forget about my 24-105 f2.8 zoom request.
07-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really interesting discussion of market dynamics here.

In any case, I, for one, have pulled the trigger.
07-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
In any case, I, for one, have pulled the trigger.
Good on ya!

Would be great if you could share result in the future.
07-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My last three lens purchases have been Sigma Lenses. The 18-250, the 70 macro 2.8 and the 8-16, all very good lenses. It doesn't bother me at all that they aren't Pentax branded. In a way it;s better, I don't have to argue about if they're better than what's available from Canikon, and they are all stand out lenses that stand up to any lenses made anywhere. The 8-16 outperforms many primes in both resolution, distortion, and CA control. Sigma is on a roll. I hope they keep rolling them out. The big question is what has happened to the Pentax lens designers. Ricoh said it planned to rehire them. I see no evidence of that, does anyone else? Maybe they are all working on the new DF series of lenses.
The famous designer of several FA* and FA ltd lenses, Jun Hirakawa, is now filing patents for Tamron. Guess re-hiring those lens designers back failed.

LOL! Maybe those designers refused to have their jobs back, once they discovered what their first task would be: "re-designing" the FA ltds to be produced in a wide variaty of stylish colours? (AKA re-painting old stock.)

Maybe one of the other lens designers went to Sigma, and took the DA WA ltd zoom (18-35) -designs with him?

Last edited by Clavius; 07-22-2013 at 05:24 AM.
07-22-2013, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Would be great if you could share result in the future.
Try & stop me
07-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Try & stop me
ha ha!