Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #931
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have time to look at this right now, but it looks like a user review of the 18-35 on a K-3. In Japanese so use whatever translator you prefer.

??? ??? 2014 ? SIGMA 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art with PENTAX K-3 - ??????

06-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #932
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I don't care how the box looks.
It's the images it makes that matter.
And the K-50 does a great job at that.
Of course. But if I could have the same camera that looks good, or looks boring, I will choose the one that looks good.

EDIT: I just took another look at the K-50, and I actually think it's a good looking camera. Certainly looks much cooler than a Rebel, which appears to have taken its styling cues from a jellybean. But I think the K-30 still looks better with its harder edges and more dramatic styling.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-24-2014 at 09:41 AM.
06-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #933
Veteran Member

Pentax cameras all look good.
06-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #934
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Sigma's lenses tend to be most boring lenses because Sigma makes lenses that will first sell to the millions of people who use Canon and Nikon cameras. Lenses that are not bad, but they are a form of "fish and chips with gravy" that most people like and can be found in all restaurants. A safe bet design, safe bet focal length, enough weight to justify price, modest coating, but nothing extraordinary or daring. They must appeal to the most common denominator of what people consider good and acceptable.
While that may be a little too harsh (Sigma lenses have improved quite a bit in recent years), I tend to agree. The top Sigma lenses are "spec" lens: superb on optical tests, but hardly superb at anything else. Sigma still struggles with the color rendition of their lenses. There lenses do not produce as aesthetically satisfying results as Zeiss glass, high or mid-tier Pentax glass, Olympus HG and SHG glass, Canon L glass, or Nikon nano-coated glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I don't agree at all. You should become acquainted with some of the Sigma lenses in my collection: Lenses like the 85mm 1.4, the 100-300mm f4, and the 8-16mm. These lenses are not also-rans. They are very special, and are great values too.
I really wanted to like (and purchase) the Sigma 8-16. I looked at hundreds of images online, many of them full resolution and shot by talented photographers. None of those photos, even the best of them, matched, in terms of rendering and color rendition, what I routinely captured with the DA 12-24, the DA 10-17, and the DA 15.

I show images at local galleries, along side images shot with Canon L glass. Spec-wise, my Pentax glass can't compete with Canon L glass shot on FF cameras. But what Pentax glass lacks in sheer specs, it makes up for in terms of the rendering of tactile objects and the distinctive and aesthetically pleasing color rendition, so that my images can hold their own against the images shot by photographer's of comparable talent with their Canon L glass.

06-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #935
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
While that may be a little too harsh (Sigma lenses have improved quite a bit in recent years), I tend to agree. The top Sigma lenses are "spec" lens: superb on optical tests, but hardly superb at anything else. Sigma still struggles with the color rendition of their lenses. There lenses do not produce as aesthetically satisfying results as Zeiss glass, high or mid-tier Pentax glass, Olympus HG and SHG glass, Canon L glass, or Nikon nano-coated glass.
Have you tried the Sigma 85mm? It's an amazing lens, and I would put it up against any lens from Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I really wanted to like (and purchase) the Sigma 8-16. I looked at hundreds of images online, many of them full resolution and shot by talented photographers. None of those photos, even the best of them, matched, in terms of rendering and color rendition, what I routinely captured with the DA 12-24, the DA 10-17, and the DA 15.
I get what you're saying, and it's definitely not the perfect lens, but you won't be able to show me another 8mm zoom lens that is better, because there is none. It is a design feat that pushes the envelope of what's possible, and that's a big part of what makes it a special lens. It goes wider by a large margin than any other UWA zoom. If other lens makers were able to do a better job with such an extreme specification, then I would expect they would do so.

That being said, I don't find myself using mine very often, but there have been several occasions where 8mm allowed me to get a unique shot that I otherwise would have missed out on.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-24-2014 at 12:38 PM.
06-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #936
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I get what you're saying, and it's definitely not the perfect lens, but you won't be able to show me another 8mm zoom lens that is better, because there is none. It is a design feat that pushes the envelope of what's possible, and that's a big part of what makes it a special lens. It goes wider by a large margin than any other UWA zoom. If other lens makers were able to do a better job with such an extreme specification, then I would expect they would do so.

That being said, I don't find myself using mine very often, but there have been several occasions where 8mm allowed me to get a unique shot that I otherwise would have missed out on.
I actually brought mine out yesterday to get a thunderhead that would have never fit in one shot normally.
06-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't find myself using mine very often, but there have been several occasions where 8mm allowed me to get a unique shot that I otherwise would have missed out on.
Ditto.

06-25-2014, 03:18 AM   #938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried the Sigma 85mm? It's an amazing lens, and I would put it up against any lens from Pentax.

I prefer the look of the FA 77 to the Sigma 85, but there is no doubt that Sigma's upper end lenses offer a lot (for a reasonable price).
06-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #939
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I prefer the look of the FA 77 to the Sigma 85, but there is no doubt that Sigma's upper end lenses offer a lot (for a reasonable price).
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1619491@N24/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/84263201@N00/

Looking through these two groups I find the Sigma 85mm to produce more pleasing images. I like the size of the 77mm and that it is slightly shorter on an APS-C body, but for everything else I prefer the Sigma.
06-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #940
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1619491@N24/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/84263201@N00/

Looking through these two groups I find the Sigma 85mm to produce more pleasing images. I like the size of the 77mm and that it is slightly shorter on an APS-C body, but for everything else I prefer the Sigma.
People have different tastes... I look at those links and to me, the FA77 is so much more appealing, it's no contest
06-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #941
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
People have different tastes... I look at those links and to me, the FA77 is so much more appealing, it's no contest
I wish I felt that way. The 77mm is so much smaller and more enjoyable to use. The Sigma is 2x the size, but to me the images are noticeably better.

When I look at images like:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/studentboots/13524434894/in/pool-84263201@N00
or
https://www.flickr.com/photos/studentboots/13524219203/in/pool-84263201@N00

I see an unattractive bokeh.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45944638@N06/6577756055/in/pool-1619491@N24 This looks better to me.

At the time I bought the Sigma, the 77mm was $80.00 less than the Sigma.
06-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #942
Pentaxian

Well I think you're comparing two bad examples with a good example. The Sigma background doesn't have anything quite as close as the Pentax. I agree that the first one is pretty bad but they both probably have more to do with the background's color and closeness than anything else...

If the background colors are more compatible and pleasing it's a nice bokeh, like these:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nam2_7676/4580939613
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xav_hc/3948584648

I do agree that the Sigma has an edge when it comes to bokeh... but for my personal taste the in-focus areas are so much nicer in the FA77...
06-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #943
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know. I've been super-pleased with the FA 77.

But then again, I'm not a professional, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
06-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #944
Veteran Member

I don't think any considers the 77mm to be bad at all. For me the difference in focal length is enough to justify owning both. I'm just waiting for Pentax to up date the FA LTD line before I buy anymore. I love the 31mm. I will also look hard at the Sigma 85mm ART if it is available for K-mount and see if the improvements justify the new lens.

Coming from shooting Canon for 20 years, I'm accustom to the 85L which melts the background away. I find that the Sigma does a better job at this than the 77mm. I've heard some people call the 77mm bokeh more "impressionistic" and they like the harder lines.

Last edited by Winder; 06-25-2014 at 12:03 PM.
06-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #945
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. I've been super-pleased with the FA 77.

But then again, I'm not a professional, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
Why the sarcasm? Isn't it possible that they're both great lenses?

Beautiful pictures BTW.