Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D Review in "Chasseur d'Images" France

Chasseur d'Images magazine in France and the No.1 selling photo magazine in Europe gave the K20D the highest score given to a camera. 5 out of 5 stars. They are generally very critical in their reviews and use the latest testing techniques available.

The "D" range setting "blew them away". That is where the 14 bit processor kicks in. Otherwise the normal 100-6400 range is 12 bit. They also commented on prints printed on 30x45 cm format without having to interpolate at all. They stated that the grain was imperceptible at 1600 iso. Remember, they are NOT pixel peeping, but actually printing out the image on an Epson 1800. They mentioned that the gradations were exceptional and the color natural.

They also did a 36x54 cm print of flowers where they stated that "the finesse of details and nuances in the colors is quite simply 'Exceptional'".

They also stated that the only camera that competes with the K20D is the Nikon D300.

And it summarized by saying "For a surprise, this was a good surprise. The test measurements of the K20D are one of the best at this moment in this price range and not far off from the top most expensive camera out there. The noise reduction is very effective, so much so that you can print at 1600 iso at 30x45 cm without a problem. To add to that a body of the highest degree of construction and an interface that is very sophisticated as well".

Finally the K20D gets the "Chasseur d'Images" Five Star Approval Rating for Spring 2008.

This is a very brief summary of a six page review.

Ben

Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 03-16-2008 at 06:40 AM.
03-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

thanks Ben

I wasa hoping you'd comment since I found out it was published. Sucks being mono-ligual
03-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for the rcord: how did they test the K10? I don't remember anymore, and I don't have that issue...

Now it's waiting for Réponses Photo to test the K20, as I always esteem their testing to be more 'real world' than CI...
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Just for the rcord: how did they test the K10? I don't remember anymore, and I don't have that issue...

Now it's waiting for Réponses Photo to test the K20, as I always esteem their testing to be more 'real world' than CI...
Réponses Photo gave the K20D "Réponces Photo" Choix (Choice) rating. Or in english "Editors Choice" award.

Ben

03-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Chasseur d'Images magazine in France and the No.1 selling photo magazine in Europe gave the K20D the highest score given to a camera. 5 out of 5 stars. They are generally very critical in their reviews and use the latest testing techniques available.

Finally the K20D gets the "Chasseur d'Images" Five Star Approval Rating for Spring 2008.

This is a very brief summary of a six page review.

Ben
Could you give us a link to that article so those who aren't ignorant about "la langue de Molière" could give it a good look, please?:ugh:
03-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Could you give us a link to that article so those who aren't ignorant about "la langue de Molière" could give it a good look, please?:ugh:

It is not a link. It is in the April 2008 issue which I purchased today and scanned one of the pages.

Ben

You might go to their site. Not sure if the review is on line:

http://www.chassimages.com/accueil/Sommaire.xml
03-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank You. I went on their site, but the only post they have on the K20D is from it's intro. But i'll keep looking once in a while...
03-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a link. This is more of a summary:

http://www.chassimages.com/accueil/Sommaire.xml

Ben

03-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks, Ben. It really confirms the beauty of this camera. A satisfying camera for most of the purposes.

I turned the noise reduction very high level and the noise is better at ISO 1600 than ISO 400! It is kind of fun. The subject in focus becomes somewhat blurred but it is easy to micro sharpen in post processing.

03-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The "D" range setting "blew them away". That is where the 14 bit processor kicks in. Otherwise the normal 100-6400 range is 12 bit.
FYI, the 14-bit processing doesn't seem to be used from what I understand of GordonBGood's analysis:
Re: K20D: EDR *does* affect RAW images.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It seems like a natural place to use the 14-bit processing, so I'm a bit puzzled. If you get a chance to ask Pentax...
03-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #11

Thanks for the link Ben, but as most Americans, my French isn't what it could be.

Tom
03-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
FYI, the 14-bit processing doesn't seem to be used from what I understand of GordonBGood's analysis:
Re: K20D: EDR *does* affect RAW images.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It seems like a natural place to use the 14-bit processing, so I'm a bit puzzled. If you get a chance to ask Pentax...
Here is the rough translation from a photo example on page 114.

"We wanted to test the new sensor in "D" Range 200% shooting images with a lot of highlights and extreme shadows. In using a rather dense image the 14 bit sample rate (Mode D-Range 200% activated) does 'Miracles' the curve does not cut off abruptly in these images. There is a smooth transition.

In the Specs listed they say the following:

Sensor: CMOS APS-C 14.6 mega pixels. Sampling 12 OR 14 bits.
Special Functions: "D" Range 200% 14 bit sample rate...

Ben
03-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Thanks for the link Ben, but as most Americans, my French isn't what it could be.
You mean your Freedom isn't what it could be...

*runs*
03-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I wasa hoping you'd comment since I found out it was published. Sucks being mono-ligual
Well, I am tri-lingual however it didn't help me to understand what they are writing there
03-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
You mean your Freedom isn't what it could be...

*runs*

*tests if AF speed is suitable for sports*